High level solo experience grinding is so fun. Dying sucks.

I just need 3 stats on all my gear that my gloves and boots are still missing some of, +INT, +Maximum Energy Shield, and xx% increased ES and Evasion. But I have plenty of resists and some accuracy and attack speed on them too. I dont understand why that gear alone should not suffice for defense.

Every time I retried Barracks and act 3 stuff later on, I just die super fast because I cant keep that focused all the time. I've switched to using a spork totem and spamming Arc with mana leech support instead for Merciless, 2500+ melee damage is useless when I can spam a 300 DPS Arc and stay safe behind my totem.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Invalesco wrote:
"
Windays wrote:
"
If you think the softcore penalty is too much, wait till you try hardcore!

I wouldn't say losing XP bothers me, I've played hardcore and losing my character after 40 levels doesn't bother me. I just delete them because that is the point of hardcore to me. What does bother me and kind of makes the game boring is the inherent necessity to grab every single defensive node you can. It's like 8/10 of the skill tree is mildly pointless.

I keep making characters and it's like I build them with the exact same focus in mind, LIFE. I think a lot of it has to do with the passive tree and how far you have to go to get the required defensive passive's that you need in order to be effective. Maybe putting in more shortcuts in the paths to defensive nodes could be done to alleviate how much traveling around you have to do. I still want there to be tough choices, but there needs to be more flexibility in routes to different area's of the tree so that there is at least some diversity.

I like the difficulty of the game, I just think that passive point investment into effective defensive nodes and talents takes up way too much of your allotted passive points.

that is the challenge of the game: to find a nice balance between the number of points spent on defensive and offensive nodes as well as to find defensive/offensive gear good enough to allow you to make the most of those percentage bonuses that the tree provides.

The tree isn't the only thing that makes your character. It's how you utilize it and make the most of it with the gear you have or are planning to get.

If you know what kind of gear to get, what kinds of defensive/offensive mods you're looking for on your gear, it's much easier to build a tree balanced around those and to ensure that you have high defense as well as high offense.

I agree finding a balance to your build is part of the challenge, the problem is the balance is completely skewed in favor of defensive nodes, with the paths to get to those nodes eating up most all of your skill points. That in itself is not a challenge, a monkey could click every life node on the tree and connect the dots. The problem is that it's boring, it leads to completely similar builds that only differ by skill gems and a few passive points spent.

I played closed beta awhile ago and didn't need to focus nearly this much on defensive stats. The game also felt a lot more skill based. Dodging projectile attacks and even melee attacks. Now it feels like they put everything on speed, turned it into the hulk, and with the desync problem it just feels like they went from skill based difficulty to more of an artificial by the numbers kind of difficulty. Like I said, even when I first started out when Open Beta launched, I noticed a big difference even at lvl 1 in regard to how hard the mobs hit.

It just feels like there was a silent design shift in regards to the game between open and closed beta. More of an artificial burst damage 1 hit wonder difficulty that you have to overbuild to counter rather than a more skill based difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game and play it. It just feels like when they scaled the content for Open Beta and the addition of act 3 that they scaled it maybe a little bit too high, higher than what it should be for good build diversity.
Last edited by Windays on Feb 16, 2013, 10:15:57 AM
After face rolling through merciless I did docks from 63 to 65, then been running maps the last couple of days and am 69 now. Have not come across any mods that are too hard, though haven't tried chaos damage over time yet.

If you want easy mode soloing play a summoner. This spec should scale more with gear IMO as it's just too easy/boring. Well I'll keep leveling maybe the higher level maps offer some challenge.
"
NZScruffy wrote:
... Yea, the desyncs piss me off too... I'll just move to another game and hope they fix it sometime soon. Not much point playing with the desyncs.

It's really getting to that point... You can only force yourself to play something broken for so long, before you come to the realization that it's fucking BROKEN.
"
arare wrote:
GGG won't change anything. Game will be for a very niche crowd of gamers.

Yeah all three of them. I hope they spend a TON on micro tranactions!
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
"
arare wrote:
GGG won't change anything. Game will be for a very niche crowd of gamers.

Not if they want to bring in more cash paying customers. This thread and similar ones like it aren't asking for a massive nerf. They are simply requesting GGG tone the difficulty down just a bit so that people can enjoy the game as opposed to seeing it as work. The XP penalty is pretty pointless to me as well. Though at level 57 I have not hit that difficulty wall just yet.
Felt same way as OP with my experience today. Really felt like wasted time to lose XP progress dying in maps. I get the getting gear and currency, but much like the OP I detest the in game trading and also had bad luck with drops and crafted gear. Add in desync deaths or near deaths, the experience was more frustrating than satisfying.

Playing as a marauder ground slammer probably doesn't help, and was considering rerolling a different build/class but I guess others are experiencing this frustration as well soloing maps?

Anyways, I really don't mind grinding, I find it fun and relaxing and it can be rewarding when the character progresses. Obviously when there are set backs its frustrating, so maybe just a bad day for me and needed to vent.

Yeah dying sucks

solution? STOP. DYING.
Don't worry guys. When they release custom leagues you can make your very own baby league with no death penalties and a boo hoo chat channel so you can complain when your character doesn't die to something that totally wasn't your fault.

Possible slogans
The baby league, because dying shouldn't be a bad thing.
The baby league, where living is frowned upon.

Post your catchy slogans below.
ign:Manley_Stanley
Last edited by Mooseman on Feb 19, 2013, 11:03:27 PM
Well, death penalty is a great way to avoid people graveyard zerging uniques and bosses. Still, i think the penalty is way too harsh. Especially when you get to higher level 80+. Also, you can still do graveyard zerging when you have zero amounts of XP on a level and not lose anything, so kind of make the whole penalty kind of useless.
IGN: SynergyHC

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info