High level solo experience grinding is so fun. Dying sucks.

Now first off, let me say that I am actually a fan of grinding for experience. But, being close to level 80, the experience has completely shut off from regular zones. Meaning I can really only get experience from map zones.

So after a lot of farming and some luck, I was able to obtain a few map drops. I enter maps and get more maps, sometimes I die, usually due to being insta-pwned by a mob of rangers when I walk through a door, or a huge mob of ice/puncture/fast moving enemies that decide they really don't want me to move while they kill me.

The game is how the game is I guess, is it fair, not really. Maybe I should have learned not to progress through the level and stand at the entrance with a huge feeling of accomplishment for making it there. But that's not me.

Now being a solo player, my gear isn't the best, but my resistances are all 75% (aside from chaos, and I take special note of chaos damage enemies). My melee physical blocks 31% and I have 2200 hp (130-140% hp nodes), so I consider myself decently built to survive. My dps is awful for my level, many rangers double it while being a lower level than me. I can't play in a group unless I want to play at 1 fps.

So here I am soloing map after map, dying and raging about how I am going to quit this game because I have lost so much time with nothing to show for it. But every once in a while, enemies aren't too bad and I get lucky on the insta-pwn cases and end up surviving with 100 hp or less, and I get a good 50% experience without a death. Feels pretty good to make some progress.

Anyway, I enter the dungeon knowing the boss is a brutus/kole enemy. I am prepared and enter the boss room. I proceed down the hallway and make it to the door leading to the chamber with the boss and his minions resting inside. I throw down some bear traps at the entrance, throw out my totem and begin to range the boss as he pulls and kills my totem.

He makes to the door and I back up to about the start-mid of the hallway, I throw out another totem and some traps while readying my frenzy charges and I die.

Nothing is around me, anywhere. I see the boss walk up to my corpse and attack my totem, indicating he was indeed far enough away to be unable to hit me with a melee wave that would kill me like something just did.

Pissed and defeated I make my way back to the map (the boss is standing alone right where he left me, so it was indeed him who killed me due to what I assume was the worst type of desync), enter the chamber and kill the boss. Yes! 1% back from clearing him and everything else in the room, I must have been close to an experience percentage raise. I look at the pile of blues the boss drops, not wanting to even walk near any of the junk as I might step in it and get it all over my shoes. I leave. Alt+tab, and come to the forums.

All the while I have been thinking to myself.. man, do I love spending several hours clearing solo maps just to lose about 30% of that experience in a split second due to something I can't control (most of the time). Only 3-4 good level maps which I don't have to get that experience back. So much fun, so super fun.

What am I doing with my life?

Thanks GGG for making an experience penalty so high that it pulls me out of gaming and back into reality by making me think about how much time I really just lost with nothing to show for it. Please change experience penalty.

tl;dr

Who cares.
Last edited by Sizzlebuzz on Feb 15, 2013, 8:00:55 AM
2200 hp at level 80 is way to low. My level 60 hc ranger has 2400 hp with 50% physical reduction. It sounds like ur relying too much on your gear for defenses and not spec'd into on your tree.
GGG won't change anything. Game will be for a very niche crowd of gamers.
i am having a lot of trouble with maps with my lightning arrow templar

entire game - chessecake

walk into maps, die first 4 map attempts.

its like walking into a brick wall

should i still be farming docks at 73?

not begging for nerfs lol

just want tips on how to suck less

Last edited by janome21 on Feb 15, 2013, 8:15:18 AM
I usually make new characters when I get to the point where I'm just running maps 24/7 and a death can set me back a day+ of farming. "Endgame" to me is just trying out the next cool idea.

It also helps to play a different kind of character for a while, so that even if it doesn't work out, it rekindles your love of your higher level characters.
"
Greenxt wrote:
2200 hp at level 80 is way to low. My level 60 hc ranger has 2400 hp with 50% physical reduction. It sounds like ur relying too much on your gear for defenses and not spec'd into on your tree.

I am.. spec'd for it. My gear is composed of very poor rares.

"
pneuma wrote:
I usually make new characters when I get to the point where I'm just running maps 24/7 and a death can set me back a day+ of farming. "Endgame" to me is just trying out the next cool idea.

It also helps to play a different kind of character for a while, so that even if it doesn't work out, it rekindles your love of your higher level characters.

I tried making a shadow, but melee just doesn't seem fun to me. I could make a summoner, but I played a summoner on D2, so it doesn't seem too interesting to me. I really would like to get this ranger geared and possibly fix it's passive tree if needed (although there really isn't much I can change).
Last edited by Sizzlebuzz on Feb 15, 2013, 8:19:19 AM
Your time is never fully wasted, you are also farming for gear, currency, not just XP. If you feel like you hit a brick wall, getting frustrated then re-roll a new charcter. No need to rush to 100, just take your time dude.
What map affixes do you roll?
Well, thank you for the responses and support. I just died again due to two poison traps cast on me from another room at the same time, or one on me and something exploding on me before I could even move and lost another 15%. Temporal chains map and aoe dots. My fault for not just destroying the map.

So I think I am calling it for now, maybe for good.

Good luck to you all with whatever you decide to do in game and out. Cya.

As for map affixes, I don't even pay attention to them, they're blue, more magic, blood magic, extra damage. I believe the map I died in was a elemental equilibrium map.

I really never knew playing a game could make someone feel like such shit. But it has. I feel so down right now.

"
KrO wrote:
Your time is never fully wasted, you are also farming for gear, currency, not just XP. If you feel like you hit a brick wall, getting frustrated then re-roll a new charcter. No need to rush to 100, just take your time dude.

No, I feel like my time was wasted rather. I am farming for one thing, and that is a lioneye bow. The currency I obtain from even a month of farming may not even be enough to get one. The rares I get are never good, and people are always trying to rip people off when it comes to trading. If this isn't time wasted, I don't know what is.
Last edited by Sizzlebuzz on Feb 15, 2013, 8:39:15 AM
Even 0 affix maps are too hard except for 1 or 2 classes in insane gear solo.

In a group though it's almost too easy since mobs don't gain anything at all, maybe 3x more hp big !#@in deal.

So you're forced to do maps with ninjas, good concept.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info