So I loaded up d3 the other day....

And it's still pretty damn fun. Now before you guys flame me, I do believe POE is a superior game in almost every way. And yes, I know that d3 is nothing compared to its predecessor. But it is still fun in its own little way and I feel like telling you my reasons for it.

1.) The animations- I absolutely LOVE the animations and its probably the biggest reason I enjoyed the game as much as I did... And still do from time to time. I love the way bodies fly apart across the screen in an over the top manner. I love how each ability decapitates your enemies in its own different way. This is probably the one thing I wish poe had.

2.) Its easy as fuu...!!! Sereously though, this game is friggen easy. And that's what makes it enjoyable for me. I have a logictec g600 that has the 12 side buttons. I literally don't ever have to use the keyboard. The game is literally easy enough where I can lie down with my laptop and blow shit up with one hand while watching tv. D3 is easy enough to where I don't really have to focus on the screen. Get a simple rotation down and then I can pretty much grind it all the way to inferno. Sure I could do this in POE but I actually have to concentrate and focus. In poe I end up using to keyboard to get more accurate results, especially when I pvp. This is the hardcore appeal of POE and I love it for that but sometimes I just want something mindless to chill to.

Well... I think these are my only 2 reasons. Basically I'm grinding a wizard to max so I can farm and exploit the auction house. I can do this while relaxing and getting my few shows in. When I'm in serious gamer mode I play POE where I can actually build a character. I do prefer POE but at the same time I enjoy both games. D3 is what it is and there is no point in trying to bring it back to the diablo glory days anymore.
D3 is definitely fun if you're someone who plays games maybe an hour or 2 a day max. I still like playing the game. If it's as easy for you as you claim though, I definitely recommend turning up the monster power level. They also have multiplayer MP available finally, so multiplayer is pretty fun again as well.

I'll never get the people who seem to HAVE to choose between PoE and D3. I enjoy them both, along with other games, like BL2, SC2, Left 4 Dear 2, hell I even fire up WoW a couple times a week for some good old Warsong Gulch action.
"
Burkin wrote:
I'll never get the people who seem to HAVE to choose between PoE and D3. I enjoy them both, along with other games, like BL2, SC2, Left 4 Dear 2, hell I even fire up WoW a couple times a week for some good old Warsong Gulch action.

I agree. But in my case I don't really feel like playing D3 or POE. My preference would be to play D3 with the depth of POE or POE with the combat/animations of D3.
My 2 cents: I played D3 for 160 hours before I quit. This is not a game that sucks. This is a game with a lot of baggage for which expectations were high given to a new team that neither worked on the original games nor had worked together before. This is a situation where there were plenty of resources to make a better game but instead all they likely got was some clueless meddling.

If it had been called "Demon Slayers" and if it was not Blizzard and all the Diablo specific names and characters had been filed off, we would not be praising it but the game would be considered a new development team's commendable if flawed first effort.

It is not a great game but considering those people were bound to fail to live up to expectations they actually delivered something average.

That is pretty good all considered. The problem is it is a Diablo game and average is not acceptable. They would have been better off just amking something absolutely awful instead of mediocre.
"
LunacyPolish wrote:
My 2 cents: I played D3 for 160 hours before I quit. This is not a game that sucks. This is a game with a lot of baggage for which expectations were high given to a new team that neither worked on the original games nor had worked together before. This is a situation where there were plenty of resources to make a better game but instead all they likely got was some clueless meddling.

If it had been called "Demon Slayers" and if it was not Blizzard and all the Diablo specific names and characters had been filed off, we would not be praising it but the game would be considered a new development team's commendable if flawed first effort.

It is not a great game but considering those people were bound to fail to live up to expectations they actually delivered something average.

That is pretty good all considered. The problem is it is a Diablo game and average is not acceptable. They would have been better off just amking something absolutely awful instead of mediocre.

Those are good thoughts, and it makes sense that the game turned out the way it did given the circumstances.
FAQ: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
GGG Posttracker: http://www.gggtracker.com/
All of the above are good thoughts. Especially the point about how D3, if done by a non-Blizz team, would be thought of as a pretty good game. If you still like the game there's nothing wrong with that, I too have very fond memories of D1, D2 and D3 unfortunately did not live up to the predecessors, for reasons we all know. POE is reminding me of all the things I loved about D2, and I mean that to be high praise; POE is a good, if not great, game.
The other thing too is certain parts of D3 actually are quite impressive. The combat is actually much crisper and tighter than any ARPG in recent memory. They got rid of the nonstop potting. They made skills which are interesting in concept at least. They tried new ideas with resource management. Some will argue that freespeccing itself is bad but if you are going to have it they implemented that reasonably well. Just little things like the subtle highlights on a targeted mob are sometimes sublime.

I believe the core problem is they focused so much on technical excellence they forgot to give it a soul. Its plot is just a thin excuse for let's go kill monsters. It has no immersion. It has no actual story to tell. The intro cinematics are so cool because they bold on the last 2 games but by the end you just do not care any more.

I think the people who made it are good artists modelers programmers and deisgners. But they have no love for Diablo. There is no devotion just calculated professionalism.

There is no vision there is no dream for what the game should be or look like of have it is just an amalgamation of things that sound cool in isolation. The elements of PoE like FFA loot no skill respects etc. would all sound bad to me in isolation yet this game is one of my favorites already.

Why? Because it is not about technical things or features for ease of play or convenience. This is a game that someone, someone who loved ARPGs wanted to make. Damn you all says Path of Exile I am going to be nuanced as hell because this is what I am and I kick ass and I am not changing for anybody!

The people who made this game had a dream for this weird hardcore hack and Slasher where you are thrown out like a nbaby baby in the woods and left to fend for yourself. It is a land where everything is salvaged garbage, everyone is haggard and swaggered because that is just how it is, armor is socketed, and no one wears pants.

They took a huge gamble making this thing because they believed in it. And it shows. Front he character creation screen tongue.death throes of the Vaal oversoul. God knows it has technical problems and some weird mechanics that probably are but working right but the love for what they made just saturates the whole thing.

That is the difference. Diablo 3 is fun. It has some things to offer and I reccommend people try it themselves. But it is such a cold dry game it has less appeal to me personally. Some people do not care about this crap though and might like D3 better. More power to them.
I got my first D3 lvl 60 last night. Happy days.
I feel like, both games are amazing. In fact if you think about WHY D3 is bad or it is getting flamed is because of the RMAH. But ok now let's be realistic. You don't have to buy/sell stuff in the RMAH or AH. Oh wait... when you play D3 it's imposible to not use the AH or RMAH. First because you want to buy/sell items and it's the only way to do, secound even if you don't want you will.

In fact D3 is a good game and if i had to choose right now witch one to play, i will probably play both. In fact i choose PoE because i'm a Youtuber and people watch my PoE stuff, but else i would play D3 right now, i miss that game so much, tho i hate Blizzard for fucking it up badly.
http://www.myit-media.de/the_end.html
I love the PoE crafting and passive skill tree, but overall, D3 is just more fun at the moment, when it comes down to just killing shit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info