I am very dissapointed

I normally leave Global 1 open when I'm playing solo because they keep me company in a weird way

yea a lot of the time it's cancer that drains your iq just from reading it, but sometimes it's insightful/helpful or funny

I almost never use it for price checks tho, especially since they started spamming "20c" any time someone asks for a PC in global. lol
I was giving new players price checks recently I had to give up about 2/3rds wouldnt even see the price check or if they didnt like the answer would just keep spamming the item.
For the op rares particularly are very hard to price and then theres the issue of standard where something that might sell easily for 10-20chaos in a new league is not worth the space to list in standard.
I'm sorry you've had this problem (most of us have!). Like all places there are helpful players and less helpful (and even spiteful ones). I think in general the community is quite good, but unfortunately the more helpful players often over time switch off global chat and even trade chat, leaving little more than those that want to profit and take advantage of people on them.
I takes a long time to be able to price items reasonably well (poe trade is a great tool) and until then although the learning curve is quite cool it can be sometimes frustrating. I personally always try to help players that appear to still be learning but I've stopped going on global etc, as some other players have mentioned the sheer number of doubts is overwhelming.

Having said all this I think this is something that GGG would benefit from addressing. Trade is one of the weakest aspects of the game (and one that although they intend to improve seems like it is still going to take a long time) and newer players that otherwise really like the game may feel like quitting because of this entire process and this is a really poor reason to quit POE imho.
I'm not really sure what is the best solution though, truly dedicating a channel to newer players and their doubts (and always having someone to help them) seems the easiest/most logical, it would also need to appear prominently enough on the hints in the loading area (for low level characters).

In the meantime you may want to join a guild and/or add players who you have interacted with in the past that have been friendlier. Both are more likely to help you and also give good tips etc ;)
just develop an understanding of the value of certain stats and their worth in the different leagues.

do it by looking up items on poe.trade, if your stats are better, add some currency and just sell the item. if it sells fast, your price probably was too low and you learned something.

but please consider there is no general index of the real price for which items changed their owners, items listed for a certain price on poe.trade are still listed because they don't sell for that price.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
One thing that helped me with learning prices on items is first POE.Trade and secondly running as many different builds as possible. The more builds you get to know and what rolls on items are needed for what builds the better you can actually gage what people are willing to pay for items just based on the meta and what builds people are running compared to what you have and what rolls it has that will benefit such builds.

Some rules of thumb...

If it has a 90+ life roll and atleast 1-2 resists with a high roll on the base of whatever it is Armour, Evasion, ES ect. then chances are people will be willing to buy this. ANYTHING that has high life and resists is needed on most builds.

Boots with 30% MS and life and a res roll or 2 is going to sale. EVERYONE needs that 30% movement and having life with 30% MS is important. Resistsnace rolls along with it is just icing on the cake and increases the price.

Same with jewelry.. Life and res rolls first and formost. The bases for hybrids stats like dex/int or dex/str are nice too for people trying to fill in those stats. Diamond rings with a high implicit on the crit along with life res rolls and then additional crit rolls are sought after as well.

Another thing you want to check is sites like poemods.com to see the rolls on the items your working with. This will also tell you if you have a high tier rolls for say life or a low tier which is important as well.

This is also a good tool to use on items that have 4 and 5 props so you can see what else can be rolled on the item which can also be important. IF you have an item with a really high life roll and 2 resistance rolls and check the items rolls and find you can master craft that 3rd resistance roll on it well that makes the item more desirable. You can also pop items you have this question on into the different master tables and justs ee what can be crafted onto the item as well.

Thats why its also kinda hard for people to just look at an item and know right off if its complete trash or if it has any potential. Master Crafting can make the difference in an item no one will ever buy into something someone may buy just to use for the time being because its cheap and fills in something on their build at the time. You also have to take into account some people sale so much stuff they begin to not even mess with items that are only worth a couple Chaos while others will sale anything that isnt bolted to the ground that can fetch 1C+.. Some people will tell you to vendor something you might be able to sale for a quick 2C just because they are personally not willing to fool with the hassle of selling an item for only 1-2C. i myself tend to be of the mindset Chaos make Exalt.

Also Bro Deals are the way to go. If you see that similar items are going for say 10-15C well then post your for 8C and make that quick sale. You also have to watch for others overpricing thing to begin with on poe.trade as well. The main thing with pricing items though is all about exp.. The more you play and more builds you play and the more items you begin to sale to others the more you will learn what people pay for what.

Also... know that items you can sell the piss out of in a new league may not even fetch a couple alterations in Standard. Thats why anything you try to do with trading in standard is harder. People in standard are not looking to get builds just going with small upgrades over time as they can afford them.. people are looking for the most OP items they can find to make insane builds because the items are there to do so. Selling things is ALOT easier in a temp league setting and its also a good place to gain wealth to take back to standard.

And after you play a few temp leagues you will quickly see why standard's economy is the way it is.. not just you but EVERYONE is bringing all that wealth and currency they make in a temp league right back to standard. and after a few temp leagues you will also most likely have an abundance of wealth there at some point. But like everything else in this game it just takes time.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Dec 1, 2015, 5:02:34 PM
1-too many ppl asking PC for garbage items in trade chat
2-this game is so complicated, this requires a lot of personal research / practice to really understand the game mechanisms and therefore understand which items are good.

Simple examples:
==> difference between global crit, crit chance and crit chance for spell. It took me literally weeks to find out by myself.

conclusion: don't ask PC in global chat. Try make friends and share information with them.

edit: i'd add that knowledge is key to succeed in this game.
Last edited by reliq on Dec 2, 2015, 3:26:34 AM
People are generally bumholes. Very few want to help and in my experience when you find someone that does add them as a friend and pay it back in future.

If you ever want any help hit me up in game: SublimeFlame and i will do what I can.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info