Cloak of Defiance

This is a quite late feedback on that matter, I know - I take long brakes every now and then.

So I find myself in the possession of a legacy Cloak of Defiance with 10% damage2mana. While it is nice to have something of value for a change, I wonder why that was removed .. I can't think of a scenario where those extra 10% was such a big deal, end even if.. there are numerous build enabler out there that have a way bigger impact on your toon.

So why was this done ? What do I miss ? I personally think it would have made more sense to remove MoM from it instead (if anything), so that one can archive synergy with the passive from the tree. Maybe even buff the 10 to 15% to be able to further specialize into a "mana shield" type of build.

But what do I know ..
Last edited by dyneol on Dec 1, 2015, 6:49:56 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Once upon a time, when EB was an autoinclude in every second caster build and AA was run with it, CoD was quite a powerful item, because it allowed you to pick MoM in the upper half of the tree (EB, CoD, AA with Discipline and Clarity = no need for any other defense, it was extremely powerful!). The legacy one was even nicer, because , well.... it was even a bit better and it got reasonably nerfed the same way Lightning Coil got nerfed for example.

When Awakening hit, the meta changed and MoM is now only run on a few builds. The Keystone is in the upper half of the tree, Mana reg is harder to come by. You rarely see any use of CoD atm, sorry. The cheapest legacy CoD is up for 3 Alterations on std atm. (exaggerated, there is one, but its still some chaos worth) From a few Ex to a few Chaos, thats the meta changes of Awakening (MoM is hard (very, very hard) to sustain on mana now, EB needs actual investment now and the Keystone got moved so CoD is not necessary anymore.

I do agree with OP I think the legacy one would fit better in the current meta, because it gives a bonus to a Keystone on the flipside of taking an armor slot, but in 1.2/3 it was plain too strong.
Last edited by flipser on Dec 1, 2015, 7:30:47 AM
It is already VERY hard to get enough mana to sustain "normal" MoM (30%). Legacy CoD is bad because sustaining 40% MoM is even harder... There's no real incentive to use it.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
It's a piece of shit now yes.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Alright, I can see how the old EB could make it pretty strong. I think it should be revisited, though.
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
It is already VERY hard to get enough mana to sustain "normal" MoM (30%). Legacy CoD is bad because sustaining 40% MoM is even harder... There's no real incentive to use it.

It is still doable (wearing it on my witch). It's just another option, even if gimmicky or "suboptimal". Having a multitude of options is a pretty important aspect of PoE for me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info