is this Down/Up speed normal?

whenever im downloading things or watching (like videos on youtube) my download speed is above 300kb but whenever i playing path of exile the highest it could go is 2.5kb

is this normal? can i speed up my connection to 10x the kb to reduce the latency?
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
There are a lot of factors to consider, like whether or not you're connecting wirelessly, how good your router/modem is, etc.

Also, how are you measuring bandwidth? A lot of routers contain a QoS system which can artificially limit specific things on the line to provide more bandwidth to other things (like deprioritizing video/media to give more bandwidth to real-time games).
im using netbalancer to how me how much speed my programs are using
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
Netbalancer is a Windows application which can only log what Windows can see on the network adapter.

There is likely other stuff going on at the router/modem level which can also affect traffic.

Another thing to remember it's that bandwidth is like water in a pipe. if you only need a little bit, you only get a little bit (up until you've pulled the capacity for the pipe).

So the difference between 300kbps and 2.5kbps could simply be the network demands of each activity. Streaming media requires a lot of bandwidth because video is data-heavy. On the flip side, the data required by PoE is pretty minimal as it's only streaming the packets for client/server data and not video or other data-intensive thing.
but it doesnt seem to be enough though, is there a way to boost its minimum kb? running online games at its minimum (only needed amount of kb) is like a death sentence waiting to happen

-Path of Exile
There's no way to increase the amount of data which PoE uses or needs.

Here's a cartoon explaining latency, bandwidth, and throughput.
Last edited by ionface on Nov 30, 2015, 3:36:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info