PoE - Portuguese translation - Good idea to translate names?

I was curious and clicked the little Brazilian flag. So, obviously the Portuguese translation will hit when the new leagues start. All fine.
There's also an explanation of the gem system and a unique sword. I realize that the sword's name seems to be translated to Portuguese as well. I'm not sure this is such a good idea. Many uniques have names in different languages, no need to translate them imo.
Actually I wouldn't care, much, but I think this might mess up trade.
"WTB Ferroada Arrepiante" - What? Oh, a Shiversting, all right.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
I was curious and clicked the little Brazilian flag. So, obviously the Portuguese translation will hit when the new leagues start. All fine.
There's also an explanation of the gem system and a unique sword. I realize that the sword's name seems to be translated to Portuguese as well. I'm not sure this is such a good idea. Many uniques have names in different languages, no need to translate them imo.
Actually I wouldn't care, much, but I think this might mess up trade.
"WTB Ferroada Arrepiante" - What? Oh, a Shiversting, all right.

I agree they shouldn't change the name of uniques, it may also lose its 'flavour'.

(not even a particularly good translation lol)
Last edited by Drakkon1 on Nov 29, 2015, 4:42:16 PM
Yeah, didn't find "ferroada" in the dictionary. But I don't know how good dict.leo.org's Portuguese is.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
imho translating names of items or characters is the biggest mistakes they make in films or books.
it's a even worse mistake if there is a community which has to interact based on this set of descriptions.

one example is the economy, having two desciption sets for items will most likely result in trade platforms being separated by language for items in the same realm. which will most likely give a unfair advantage to those players who speak both languages because there will be differences in prices.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info