Blackscreen and grafical artifacts while gaming.

Hello there,

i've had this problem now for about 1week in which I didn't change any of my computer components or such. Before it worked good as always.
The problem is that I randomly, sometimes after 2 hours sometimes after 5 hours, get blackscreens where both of my screen, Main- and secondary screen get black for about 5 seconds and then turn normal again, but this time with grafical artifacts ingame. This is really scary consiedring im running high tier maps on HC with a character i already put a lot of afford in.

I made sure the right GPU is used which is the AMD Radeon 7970 and not the onboard intel chip.
I monitored the Temps while gaming; GPU never goes over 60C° and the PCH Motherboard Chip is highest at 62° so I can't see a problem in there. I also put settings to lowest with framerate controlled by Radeon Software to 60fps so it isnt caused by performance issuses cause of 250+ FPS.

I also did a clean reinstall of POE and the AMD drivers.

CPU : Intel i5-4670K @3.40GhZ
RAM: 8GB
Software: Windows 7

I'd really appreciate some help ;)

Greetz
Check the Windows Event/Error logs and see if your video driver is crashing or becoming unresponsive and restarting.

That's the usual case for the symptoms you're describing.

If that is what is happening, locating the source might not be as easy.

Could be a simple driver wipe/reinstall, or could be that your PSU is having issues with extended use and is losing power to the GPU after a while temporarily.
Thanks for probably finding the root of the problem... Windows says amdkmdap has been closed and restored. Now i dont know how to fix this... i got the newest gpu drivers :/

P.s i play in windowed fullscreen, could that be an issue ?
Last edited by Drakkarmannen on Nov 28, 2015, 11:49:48 AM
Try playing full-screen for a while with vsync on and see if it has the same issue.

As I said, could be other things, but I'd take a stroll around Google with your error details and see what comes up.
Hey there Drakkarmannen!

My primary gaming machine runs an R9 280x, which is essentially a revised version of your GPU, and runs on comparable drivers configurations.

I have had these errors on occasion when alt + tabing out of the active POE window to another window that utilizes GPU acceleration. I'd suggest trying out Drakier's suggestion of playing in full screen mode. It may prevent accidental switching from the active window PoE is running in.

I'm a bit concerned about the artifacting you are seeing though. What fps do you see while playing in game? Before the new version revision the 7970 had known heat issues. Do you hear your gpu fan cycle up a lot while in game? I know you said you saw no more than 60C in game but could you confirm that your GPU isn't downclocking the core / memory frequency, by running GPUz in the background?

Sorry to be a pain, but With the drivers crashing like you say, I'd focus on the GPU.

"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info