Just uninstalled the "other game" today...

I just uninstalled Diablo 3 today, and while uninstalling it, I sort of reflected on why this game did not really hit the gaming nerd in me.

I started playing D3 at the same time as most other gamers, at opening day. I remember plunking down a ton of money ($60 is about a fifth of a monthly salary here in the Phils.) just to play D3. I was excited since I played Diablo and D2 since I was in middle school. I even remember not going to class so I can play Diablo 1 the whole day with friends over LAN.

It was not a bad experience at all from normal up until hell. I was enjoying it. I even studied how DPS works in the game. I then noticed that even a magic caster depended on a weapons DPS for damage. Although an odd choice for a system, I think it worked out well enough.

After a few hundred hours of playing, I noticed that I only got 1 unique. This 1 unique was the only time I got a unique in the entirety of my playing time in D3. I also noticed that there was nothing special with this unique. I dismissed the idea of bad uniques in this game because it was 1 unique. Maybe this unique was really not good.

With the ugly drop rates, I finally decided that I may as well try the Gold AH (RMAH was not implemented yet at the time). Surprisingly, I got the pieces I wanted for my wizard for a relatively small amount of gold. I was happy with it! So I played with these new pieces of gear.

This is the point where I noticed something was odd about the item system. I tried a new character, a witch doctor. I noticed that everything was essentially the same. The stats needed, the dps, everything was similar to what I needed from a wizard (Vit being a priority over int).

Over the course of playing the game and the Gold Auction House, I also noticed that I am growing bored of it. At that time, I did not know why, but I was forcing myself to play. I really forced myself to liking it since it was a direct descendant of D2. It was only July when this happened to me (D3 launched around June}. I played POE since CB last August and I am still enjoying it. Now that I uninstalled D3 and playing POE, I realized why D3 did not command my attention for so long. The items are all generic (even uniques). There was no reroll simply because you just had to change skill loadouts. The items also did not even have unique things that made them "swords" or "daggers". You can interchange most items like armor and helms and there would not be any difference. I missed the stat allocation as well (POE has this through the skill tree).

I freed up 11 gigs of D3 data and I am not even regretting it at all.
You have joined us brother...
K

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info