Melee Ice Crasher wih only 33% dmg reduction - will I make it?

Hi there

As I'm on the Templar tree - I'm finding life/ dmg red nodes hard to find. So I've gone for all out max res and life - currently at 5500, but aiming for six.

Question is, can I get away with such low armour.

Ice Crash is an interesting skill and is more like a spell.

So I don't know if armour is that necessary for this skill, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

33%is very low, but on t6 rolled maps with 17-18k dmg, I seem to be doing fine.

But will I run into problems later on?

Also, one question about area dmg increase.
Currently, I have 23% dmg increase and 20% increased radius - will this area dmg show up on tooltip or not?

Anyhoo - just aiming for 90 with this char.

TYVM
Turnip
Last edited by Turniphead2 on Nov 28, 2015, 8:41:34 AM
Check my concept for Ice Crash build.The guy I've made it for is delighted,and said he can do middle tier maps with ease,rarely encountering something problematic.Feel free to ask him about the build and how well it works.
Thanks for the link, but it doesn't tell me enough about defences need for ice crash.

TY for you r thoughts tho.

Turnip
I'm running moderately hard 78/T11 maps with 5.5k armor and I'm mostly fine. But I'm using Sweep which is more defensive than Ice crash, thanks to its higher leech and knockback.
Also I have near perma fortify from leap slam and 6 endurance charges from enduring cry. I don't use Immortal Call. More info here.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Thanks for the replies - i seem to be doing ok with 5.5k life and think I'lll get to 90 which is what I'm aiming for - just wondered aboutother peoples experiences with ice crash and their defences.

TYVM

Turnip
@OP with such low armour you will run into a lot of issues in higher lvl maps. I would highly recommend switching your belly of the beast out of a lightning coil. Its a great way to add physical mitigation for people who have low amounts of armour, granite flasks or a Taste of hate are another option to help you survive.

My 2h cyclone character used to use a legacy kaoms heart and had about 10k hp but really low armour. I would sometimes get 1 shot by something silly like a Volls archer on random crits (wasteland maps) simply because I didnt have any physical mitigation. I have since switched to a legacy lightning coil and a redblade helm and find that even though Ive lost 3k life im a lot more tanky.

With icecrash you can use arctic armour to help with mitigation on top of a coil + toh + redblade helm.

"
Turniphead2 wrote:

Currently, I have 23% dmg increase and 20% increased radius - will this area dmg show up on tooltip or not?

TYVM
Turnip

% increased area damage modifiers will show up on your tool tip damage,

% increased radius of area skills will not add damage to your tooltip
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Last edited by Dethklok on Nov 28, 2015, 1:22:56 PM
As a melee character you will definitely need a lot of mitigation. Some extra health won't save you at all. A lot of extra health might, if you kill really fast.

"
Dethklok wrote:
@OP with such low armour you will run into a lot of issues in higher lvl maps. I would highly recommend switching your belly of the beast out of a lightning coil. Its a great way to add physical mitigation for people who have low amounts of armour, granite flasks or a Taste of hate are another option to help you survive.

My 2h cyclone character used to use a legacy kaoms heart and had about 10k hp but really low armour. I would sometimes get 1 shot by something silly like a Volls archer on random crits (wasteland maps) simply because I didnt have any physical mitigation. I have since switched to a legacy lightning coil and a redblade helm and find that even though Ive lost 3k life im a lot more tanky.

With icecrash you can use arctic armour to help with mitigation on top of a coil + toh + redblade helm.

"
Turniphead2 wrote:

TYVM
Turnip

% increased area damage modifiers will show up on your tool tip damage,

% increased radius of area skills will not add damage to your tooltip

Thanks for this - I'll really consider a lightning coil
I am running a 21/11 enfeeble and i curse all enemies - so that gives me a lot of damage reduction, but maybe not enough.
If I get lighting coil, is it worth investing in any armour nodes?

BTW i only intend going as high as t9 maps.

TYVM

Turnip
Last edited by Turniphead2 on Nov 28, 2015, 3:41:16 PM
With a lightning coil you dont have to invest in armour or evasion if you dont want too. Etup got lvl 100 on his HC marauder during tempest using this method.

If you really wanted to push your character to be the best it could be then I would recommend looking at adding extra evasion or armour but for your goals just switching to a coil and using a taste of hate or a granite flask should be fine.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Thanks I've found some really cheap ones on poetrade.

If I use fortify support instead of added cold-would that help too?

That gives 20% dmg red . . . could I use that instead of added cold dmg?

I've just tried fortify and apart from the annoying star around my feet - i don't see my dmg reduction on the character pane
when I get the buff *shrugs*

TYVM

Turnip
Last edited by Turniphead2 on Nov 28, 2015, 4:56:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info