How does LLD affect new players?

So there I was, working on getting my Leo to level 7 or higher (one-shotting most of my opponents) when it hit me: How does my powerful build affect the experience for new players who, just for fun, decided to check out the PvP?
Am I scaring away potential new players?
Should I, with this in mind, stick to high level dueling?

What are your thoughts on this?
people who just occasionally do a Leo mission, can ask their opponent to cooperate and usually get what they need.

for people who want to get into LLD however, it's practically impossible.

made a PvP-only char recently, in Standard.
put my best set of low-level PvP-oriented gear on him. that's literally over two years worth of gear, including Legacy which new players do not have any access to, at all.
and items on swap which few new players even know how to do.
managed to win a good series of matches, and even make it to ~20ish on a very sleepy ladder.

and then I hit a brick wall: the "top-tier PvPers". the guys with the equivalent of "mirror gear" in LLD terms: accurate corruptions. Meta-crafted mods, crazy map-smashing-tier items in terms of damage which for some goddamned reason require level 28...
can't stand a chance against that, unless you are one of them as well.
and you'll never be one of them as a new player, or even come remotely close.

you are indeed scaring away new players Ockward, but you are not alone at that.
all "devoted duelers" of LLD do. thus making LLD not an option for everyone else.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
It's just part of PvP.

You can always move to create an unofficial ladder system (lots of people did this in D2) to increase the challenge for you and decrease the pressure on new people to the scene.

EDIT: I mean, people that try to check out PvP and get destroyed are either going to reassess their character or get angry and quit. There's no real in-between if you have some sort of innate interest in it. You're either going to get better or get worse.

I mean, I wouldn't feel bad about it if I were doing it. They have the exact same advantages and disadvantages as I do. No reason to cry over their spilled milk, so to speak.
Last edited by PoofGoof on Nov 28, 2015, 1:58:54 AM
"
Ockward wrote:
Am I scaring away potential new players?
Should I, with this in mind, stick to high level dueling?

What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, you are probably scaring away potential new LLD pvp players.

But you don't have to stick to high level duelling.
If you weren't doing it someone else would be and at least you're giving some of the other powerful LLD characters a bit of competition.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Nov 28, 2015, 2:22:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info