New To PoE - Info Help

Hi Folks,

Hopefully some of you can help me out, I'm looking to start another good MMO and this looks quite nice so some info about from current players is always nice!

Just really looking for info on how to go about starting, what classes you think are fun to play and how long it takes to hit max level (what is max level?). I thought about going ranger as that looks fun from some vids on youtube I've seen but the skill tree/forest lol is crazy and I've no idea where to start or what way to go and what kind of gear/build I should be aiming for as Ranger.

So any ideas/tips or if anyone wants to help me out in game, show me the ropes etc that would be cool!

Thanks,
Hello and welcome!

"
IceTop wrote:
Hopefully some of you can help me out, I'm looking to start another good MMO and this looks quite nice so some info about from current players is always nice!

Firstly, PoE is not an MMO. It's an RPG with MMO-y elements. It does not play anything like an MMO plays.

"
what classes you think are fun to play

All of them. PoE is not as class-based as most RPGs (the class you pick will become more important in an expansion in a few months, but don't worry about that for now). Classes are enormously versatile and can each be built almost any way you like. Obviously if you're wanting to play a spellcaster picking Witch would be a good idea, but you could also pick Marauder and build a different style of caster, for example. That sort of thing applies to any build archetype. Decide what kind of build you want to play (we can help with that if you give us some pointers) and go from there, don't start by picking a class.

"
and how long it takes to hit max level (what is max level?)

Max level is 100, but it is not intended to be achievable for the average player as it takes hundreds of hours of dedicated play. Most people stop somewhere around 80-90 and start on another character, since levelling slows to a crawl in the early 90s.

To hit endgame (which is around level 70) takes about 15 hours if you're experienced and rush it (less if you're really good), or as long as 50+ hours if you're new and taking your time, doing side quests, etc.

"
I thought about going ranger as that looks fun from some vids on youtube I've seen but the skill tree/forest lol is crazy and I've no idea where to start or what way to go and what kind of gear/build I should be aiming for as Ranger.

If you want to be a standard bow ranger sort of deal, this guide is the classic and should help a lot, although it might be a bit tricky for you to understand as a new player. Again, we can help with that.

I don't currently have time to help out in game, but I can help via voice chat or something like that.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Nov 27, 2015, 9:03:51 PM
POE is an amazingly complex game...which is why it is so much fun. Different people will have different opinions on how to get started. I'm a "Jump in and try things out" kind of person so that would be my recommendation. Your first character won't be very well built but will be fun and you'll learn a lot. When you hit a block or need info then http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki, google, questions on forum.

Have fun Exile!

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
An extra thing i would mention if you are going to follow neversinks build you will need a very good bow to make it a high clear speed build and also and i cant stress this enough if you are going crit READ THE WIKI as you are very vulnerable to reflect and you will need to understand how to avoid that or "you're gonna have a bad time".

However once you do have the gear to make that build work(i use a split arrow enduro/frenzy charge version) its super fun and by far my favourite build.

Good luck dude.
"Blue warrior shot the food"
If you're not following a guide - and even if you are - don't focus too much on damage and neglect defenses.
Normal difficulty is misleadingly easy. Cruel is a little more difficult but merciless ramps up quite quickly.
Getting %-life on the tree scales the plus max life that you get on gear. If you don't have both your life will be too low.
Having armour or evasion on gear is similar in that it becomes useless without nodes to scale it, in later game.

Maxing out your elemental resists (75) is one of the most important things you'll do to stay alive. Moving from normal to cruel decreases your resists as does the move from cruel to merciless. Being over capped is beneficial to mitigate curses and other effects from monsters especially bosses. None of that matters until later.. For now just get whatever resists you can and keep moving forward.
End of act 1- cap cold
End of act 2- cold and lightening favoring lightening if you must choose.
End of act 3- lightening & a Granite flask that removes bleeds.
End of act 4- over capped on everything except chaos. Bleed granite flask.

Use transmute, alteration and augment orbs on good white items that drop, as you level. Keep your other currency drops for late game. If an item has life and a resist, it's good for leveling.
Good base white items to transmute: Coral Ring, Leather Belt, %mana regen neck, %physical dmg belt, two stone rings.
Really, don't bother using currency on low level gear, other than three I named. Some currency is quite rare and you should understand the amount of wealth you're using on an item you'll quickly replace.

Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info