Unique Passives: Make NO Golem a choice again

"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
Am I the only person who uses Ice Golem in RT builds because the chilling ground effect is pretty fucking sweet?

The buffs the golems provide are mediocre at best.

Yes, you are the chosen one.
"
King_of_Limbs wrote:
Problem:

Golems became pretty much mandatory. Almost everyone can fit in that extra gem next to his movement skill or some aura. But I think this limits build diversity as well as immersion.

Synopsis:

I thought about getting one of those deer-pets for my Ranger but then I thought: Nah this would look stupid in company with the Ice Golem. And I began to wonder wether I would give up its benefits for the roleplaying part of the game. I would not. What is missing is a good alternative that offers build benefits and lore alike. Here is what I came up with to have a choice again:

New unique passive skills that all have a "When not having Minions"-mod (WnhM).

They could be applied as three-point-clusters in the skilltree or also would fit perfectly to the new Ascendency classes. I did not put in numbers since I do not have enough inside to balancing of PoE. But it should be considered that those passives must be worth leaving the golem behind AND spending three skill points on them.

Three clusters I have in mind.

Hidden in the Shadows
Spoiler

These abilities stress the hunter/assasin theme and are placed for shadow and ranger. Sneak to your prey and benefit from the moment of surprise.

- X% reduced Visibility to Enemies WnhM

- X% reduced Visibility to Enemies WnhM

- X% increased Critical Strike Chance when Monsters are on full life (are first hitted) WnhM
- Life Leech applies instantly when Monsters are on full life (are first hitted) WnhM

Hermits Meditation

Spoiler
Placed between Witches and Templars. The Caster has in many solemn hours learnt to concentrate and melt physical and mental stability while not being cautios about allies.

- X% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting WnhM

- X% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting WnhM

- X% AoE WnhM
- X% increased Physical Damage Reduction while Casting WnhM

(Falmeblast incoming!)

Warriors's best Friend

Spoiler

Remember Susi? Sledge Hammer would have loved this skill. A warrior's weapon is his best and only friend. Placed between Marauder and Duelist.

- X% increased Block chance WnhM

- X% increased Accuracy WnhM

- X% chance to Animate a copy of your equipped Weapon on Hit WnhM

With the above skills you would make not summoning minions a desired addition to some builds.

Yeah, I know they'd be a damn good lore-friendly addition to the game! GGG, you should hire me ;)
im fine with having golems running around, they make many none tanky builds more tanky while leading the damage away and giving you a minion that could cull or so for you but i have a habbit of not having them summoned cuz im to buzy killing monsters XD
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
I think they did a good job balancing the golems. The bonus is nice but certainly not make or break. Their stats are decent enough that you aren't wasting a socket running them without minion passives but late game if they are unsupported they die as soon as things get tough. Sockets are very valuable with all the utility skills in the game now, I don't think it is a forced choice at all.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
I dont think golems are mandatory. if you dont invest anything in them, they will die like flies. which means you need to have it on CWDT. which means you have to have them underpowered and also use links/sockets

golems are one thing that are definitely optional and GGG has done a pretty good job balancing them. which is more than I can say for a lot of other things/skills/concepts
Last edited by grepman on Nov 30, 2015, 4:06:41 PM
My summoner uses a flame golem for the increased damage and the extra body. It's pretty survivable because of all the minion passives I have allocated, especially the minion life regen.

My ice shot ranger uses an ice golem for the accuracy and crit bonus. It's only moderately surviveable because of the ranged attacks. As soon as the golem engages in melee, it's game over.

None of my melee characters use a golem, the lifespan is measured in milliseconds. The most useful golem would be the Chaos Golem for damage mitigation, but it's INT based, so only a Templar or Shadow would likely be able to get a high level one.

What would be most useful would be a Chicken Golem, that would avoid melee combat at all costs, is mobile enough to avoid ranged/spell attacks, but still provides some kind of bonus.
"
Maybe the answer is an MTX that allows the skin of a pet you have purchased to be applied to a golem?

+1

Easy fix to the OP's problem and an opportunity for GGG to introduce a new MTX. Win-Win!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info