Unique Passives: Make NO Golem a choice again

Problem:

Golems became pretty much mandatory. Almost everyone can fit in that extra gem next to his movement skill or some aura. But I think this limits build diversity as well as immersion.

Synopsis:

I thought about getting one of those deer-pets for my Ranger but then I thought: Nah this would look stupid in company with the Ice Golem. And I began to wonder wether I would give up its benefits for the roleplaying part of the game. I would not. What is missing is a good alternative that offers build benefits and lore alike. Here is what I came up with to have a choice again:

New unique passive skills that all have a "When not having Minions"-mod (WnhM).

They could be applied as three-point-clusters in the skilltree or also would fit perfectly to the new Ascendency classes. I did not put in numbers since I do not have enough inside to balancing of PoE. But it should be considered that those passives must be worth leaving the golem behind AND spending three skill points on them.

Three clusters I have in mind.

Hidden in the Shadows
Spoiler

These abilities stress the hunter/assasin theme and are placed for shadow and ranger. Sneak to your prey and benefit from the moment of surprise.

- X% reduced Visibility to Enemies WnhM

- X% reduced Visibility to Enemies WnhM

- X% increased Critical Strike Chance when Monsters are on full life (are first hitted) WnhM
- Life Leech applies instantly when Monsters are on full life (are first hitted) WnhM

Hermits Meditation

Spoiler
Placed between Witches and Templars. The Caster has in many solemn hours learnt to concentrate and melt physical and mental stability while not being cautios about allies.

- X% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting WnhM

- X% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting WnhM

- X% AoE WnhM
- X% increased Physical Damage Reduction while Casting WnhM

(Falmeblast incoming!)

Warriors's best Friend

Spoiler

Remember Susi? Sledge Hammer would have loved this skill. A warrior's weapon is his best and only friend. Placed between Marauder and Duelist.

- X% increased Block chance WnhM

- X% increased Accuracy WnhM

- X% chance to Animate a copy of your equipped Weapon on Hit WnhM

With the above skills you would make not summoning minions a desired addition to some builds.

Yeah, I know they'd be a damn good lore-friendly addition to the game! GGG, you should hire me ;)
I came here to drink milk and kick ass...and I've just finished my milk.
Last edited by King_of_Limbs on Nov 27, 2015, 10:24:36 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
dank
You mistyped! It should have been a plus not a minus. Otherwise you would have said why, wouldn't you ;)
When all choices become equal, your choices don't matter.

I agree that there's very little downside to taking a golem for what you get, so most everyone takes one. Like most of the stuff that GGG adds, it's overpowered before it's worked into the game properly. I don't think they're unhappy with the golems though, so you're likely to see less interest in changing them.
Well in regards of viability and playability all (reasonable) decisions are actually supposed to be equal. Your choice of class and weapon, your choice of dual wield vs. shield. Its supposed to be a choice of playstyle and flavour not of "can I reach lvlv 90 with a marauder only?". As should be the choice of having a minion or not. But currently i'd argue in most cases it is not. At least not for 90% of the people wich do not have an über build wich sqeezes every last link out of their claws and shoes. A golem is at the moment an enhancement as good as for free. While gaining nothing but a single gem-slot when you pass on them you lose a lot when you do. So yes I feel like not having a coice but to make use of a golem or having a less good build. Something they should be unhappy with - but yeah, maby just don't care about ;) But think, GGG, it may improve pet sales!
Just a really brief thought i didn't consider to much depth:

Fuck those golems up - they should not be about the buff they give you they should be about the golems themselves, make them something to invest in.

One might help you to tank(chaos?) being very tough, another might help you by slowing enemies(ice?), fire may provide something different, etc.

Just make sure it's not about the buff, and that you want to invest in the golem, at least 2-4 link before it really becomes good. Take it off cwdt as well(if you haven't already, last i played we used to cheese it like that). Currently it just turns sockets into more item stats.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Nov 27, 2015, 8:10:40 AM
Maybe the answer is an MTX that allows the skin of a pet you have purchased to be applied to a golem?

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
"
Crackmonster wrote:
they should not be about the buff they give you they should be about the golems themselves, make them something to invest in.

Good idea, but you can pimp your golem already with several supports, passives or items like this:

They'd need to nerf the basic golem then and I find ther are enough nerfs already - so give us alternative options on this one-option-choice ;)
"
Maybe the answer is an MTX that allows the skin of a pet you have purchased to be applied to a golem?

UUUHHH! This +1 definitely!
"
King_of_Limbs wrote:
Problem:

Golems became pretty much mandatory.

I haven't used a golem on any build. I've tried a couple times and even in a 4L it dies too often for me to care. I'll sacrifice the extra 3% tooltip DPS or 4% physical mitigation and use those sockets for something else, thanks.
"Arctic Armour was a mistake." - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Creon on Nov 27, 2015, 11:18:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info