Skill Development - Blade Vortex

"
Catharsis wrote:
What I'm most interested in is if the blade hit rate will be affected by cast speed, if it's not, then there it will be a hard sell for self cast since you don't lose 2 gems to coc (echo+fc) and you get more blades on anything except single target.

Quite an interesting thought.

On first glance that would indeed create a relevant distinction between self-cast and CoC.

Props to you sir, i hope if it does not work like this currently the dev's might consider this concept.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Catharsis wrote:
What I'm most interested in is if the blade hit rate will be affected by cast speed, if it's not, then there it will be a hard sell for self cast since you don't lose 2 gems to coc (echo+fc) and you get more blades on anything except single target.

This makes no sense. Cast Speed increases (decreases, actually) exactly one thing: the cast time of the spell. Faster Casting increasing the hit rate would be like Faster Casting increasing the fall rate on Firestorm. Faster Casting doesn't increase the damage of the spell, it increases the DPS by letting you cast more spells. Imagine it like this (assume constant castings):

25 damage/hit base, 2 hits per second, cast time .5 sec = 100dps

now, we have 100% extra cast speed:

25 damage/hit base, 2 hits per second, cast time .25 sec: 200dps (or really, 2x 100 dps since you are basically doing the first example twice in the same amount of time.)

Despite not increasing the damage or hit rate of the spell, the damage has gone up. You can stand and cast faster, which will give you more stacks and therefore more damage, exactly how faster casting works on every other spell.
"
skuller06451 wrote:

Someone knows how the damage is done through cyclone? is it also like a radar, or more like a 360° pulse based on attackspeed? would be important to know since a pulse would hit all enemies at once and therefore many spells would be lost since CoC got a small internal CD.

As far as i know it is twice the APS.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2810sq/questionhow_many_hits_does_a_cyclone_do_per_sec/
Also it is used for CoC e.g.:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1195956

"
Catharsis wrote:

With CoC you also lose at least two gem slots: CoC and the attack skill that procs. Some Setups like Barrage or ST also use gems like GMP or faster attacks.
The difference between CoC and self cast is that with CoC you cast more often, but the hits of self cast are normaly stronger.

And about the cast speed affecting the spell hit rate: That would be a new kind of mechanic and the spell would double dip form cast speed. 1* vs 2* cast per second would be 100% vs. 400% damage...
Last edited by cuchio on Nov 28, 2015, 7:43:21 PM
"
skuller06451 wrote:

A little bit offtopic: my SrS summoner, with moderate gear, ~ lvl 90 and max duration in skilltree, inc duration support not taken, manages around 20 SrS without vaal haste selfcast, with vaal haste it jumps to around 25.

With the same character you would get ~46 Blades(=20*cast time difference*duration difference, with cast time difference=0.8/0.5 and duration difference=5/3.5) without vaal haste. So CoC can't manage much more than self cast, because of the cap of 50...
Last edited by cuchio on Nov 28, 2015, 8:03:24 PM
"
rajaat9 wrote:
This makes no sense. Cast Speed increases (decreases, actually) exactly one thing: the cast time of the spell. Faster Casting increasing the hit rate would be like Faster Casting increasing the fall rate on Firestorm. Faster Casting doesn't increase the damage of the spell, it increases the DPS by letting you cast more spells. Imagine it like this (assume constant castings):

25 damage/hit base, 2 hits per second, cast time .5 sec = 100dps

now, we have 100% extra cast speed:

25 damage/hit base, 2 hits per second, cast time .25 sec: 200dps (or really, 2x 100 dps since you are basically doing the first example twice in the same amount of time.)

Despite not increasing the damage or hit rate of the spell, the damage has gone up. You can stand and cast faster, which will give you more stacks and therefore more damage, exactly how faster casting works on every other spell.

Faster casting increases the cast rate of a totem, once a blade is up, being a duration spell it's (possibly) it's own entity like a totem or SRS, therefore cast speed might affect its radar RPM.

And if it's not there really should be some kind of cap on how many you can summon per second to avoid CoC completely overpowering self cast.
IGN: HarroHarbinger
Last edited by Catharsis on Nov 29, 2015, 2:42:49 AM
double post, sorry
Last edited by Catharsis on Nov 29, 2015, 2:58:05 AM
"
cuchio wrote:
With CoC you also lose at least two gem slots: CoC and the attack skill that procs. Some Setups like Barrage or ST also use gems like GMP or faster attacks.
The difference between CoC and self cast is that with CoC you cast more often, but the hits of self cast are normaly stronger.

And about the cast speed affecting the spell hit rate: That would be a new kind of mechanic and the spell would double dip form cast speed. 1* vs 2* cast per second would be 100% vs. 400% damage...

That's exactly my point, you don't lose 2 gem slots to CoC if faster casting + spell echo doesn't affect blade tick rate AND you can have 50 blades up in no time with CoC on any decent size pack.

My CoC Cyclone Ice Nova can cast 15 Novas per second per pack, tell me how the hell self cast is gonna compete with 15 blades per second when it doesn't even lose 2 slots to gems like most coc builds.
Last edited by Catharsis on Nov 29, 2015, 3:14:41 AM
For such a spell with low cast time, it favors self-cast more. CoC is better for hard-hitting spell with high cast time (like discharge).
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
if the player has a bleeding on hit weapon equiped will this spell apply bleeding?
Nevermind
Last edited by Catharsis on Nov 30, 2015, 12:08:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info