Trying to choose between two armors.

This one:

Or this one:

(Assume comparable sockets; I can always socket the first one.)

This is for my dual-strike duelist.

I have a few questions for people who have more experience with end-game equipment than I:

1. Assuming maxed lightning resistances, will armor #1 (Lightning Coil) one give me better survivability in most situations?

2. Do I need to wear Fairgraves' Tricorne for Lightning Coil to be viable?

3. If the answers to question 1 and question 2 are both yes, and I have to give up a 500-armor helmet for this combination, is the answer to #1 STILL yes?

Thanks!
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Nov 25, 2015, 9:06:40 AM
1. Yes. LCoil is real good.
2. No. Purity of Lightning is also real good though, bonus points if you can run that.

The amount of Lightning Damage you take through LCoil actually isn't that big (it being a legacy piece doesn't help but w/e); you take less than half the Physical Damage as Lightning, and then reduce that portion by at least 75%. Monster Physical Damage isn't balanced against a reduction of 75%+, unlike Elemental Damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 25, 2015, 9:16:53 AM
Thanks. I was mostly worried about getting shocked more with it on.

Maybe I can re-roll it with a divine orb to the 30% version. The wiki doesn't specify whether that is possible (it usually does). Or maybe it's better not to do that? 40% means more physical damage is mitigated, right?

One remaining question:

Assuming maxed lightning res, the only thing purity of lightning has to offer me is an additional 4% max. Is that 4% really a big enough deal to give up another aura for it?

Edit: I do have this:

I made it myself, as I'm exclusively self-found. But damn, that int requirement. My duelist only has 99 intelligence...
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Nov 25, 2015, 9:35:07 AM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Thanks. I was mostly worried about getting shocked more with it on.

Maybe I can re-roll it with a divine orb to the 30% version. The wiki doesn't specify whether that is possible (it usually does).

One remaining question:

Assuming maxed lightning res, the only thing purity of lightning has to offer me is an additional 4% max. Is that 4% really a big enough deal to give up another aura for it?

From personal experience, i have never been shocked with a LC on.

Also the purity of lightning is not "just" a physical mitigation. It also still functions with lightning spells, which are the main source of high "spike" spell damage in this game.

And on-top of that you can utilize a "topaz" flask to further improve both your physical protection and lightning source protection.

LC effectively gives more utility to lightning resistance as a whole.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Don't reroll it into 30%, lol. Like I said, Physical damage tends to be less than Elemental Damage already, and you take less than half of that as Lightning; it's not going to Shock unless it basically kills you outright, which is very unlikely to happen.

Gaining 4% Max Res reduces all Lightning Damage taken by 16%. It's kinda big :) The extra Lightning Resist also helps a lot with mitigating the negative on LCoil. You can go without PoL if you don't have room for it, mind.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 25, 2015, 9:45:39 AM
What did you mean by "it being a legacy piece doesn't help?"

Yeah, the only issue with PoL is intelligence. I suppose I could swap out some gear to get it.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
What did you mean by "it being a legacy piece doesn't help?"

Yeah, the only issue with PoL is intelligence. I suppose I could swap out some gear to get it.

with legacy you take more lightning damage is what he porbably ment. but it is far superior in physical damage mitigation ( kinda the reason why it is legacy now so do not reroll it, since the whole idea of the body armor is physical mitigation)
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
"The amount of Lightning Damage you take through LCoil actually isn't that big (it being a legacy piece doesn't help but w/e)" --> it being a legacy Coil slightly increases the amount of Lightning Damage you take, but whatever, it's not a big deal. That's all, really. :P
Got it. OK, thanks for all your advice, guys! Time to burn through some more jeweler's orbs I see...
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info