Is this a game that favours elitism? Old/New player seeking advice/help

I think the best advice I can give you on your way is: Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

You will learn everything you need to know in time. You will die to lots of things that feel unavoidable and unfair but most of them can be countered once you know how. If you hit a roadblock look on the wiki and ask on the forum. Just have a good time. And if you find something called a Mirror of Kalandra or an Exalted Orb keep them until you know what they are worth and what they are used for!

Good luck and have fun!
PoE needs better social features... and more cats!
min-max or gtfo!
anything is everything
"

So, is there any new players in this game?

My experience is that there is a small but steady stream of incoming players. The ones who are brand spanking new might be a little quieter, but you can usually tell the folks who have started to scratch the surface and ask some good questions like "why won't skill x work with cast on damage taken."
Depends on how ambitious you are in this game.
The thing about this game is you can play the game 3 years and there will still be thing's to learn.

I think Chris Wilson himself once said something about wanting people--not to quit the game because so much knowledge would then be wasted... Which is how I feel haha
Not knowing much about the game is great - this means you have a lot of exploration and discovery to do. It's the most interesting part of the game for me. It's like the anticipation of having a good book or movie to enjoy for the first time.

It's not a competitive game, you just play to have your measure of fun and enjoyment - why care about other players? It's not the game that favours elitism, it's the player. Let the ones who care measure the size of their swords and don't worry about it.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 25, 2015, 4:15:05 AM
"
I think Chris Wilson himself once said something about wanting people--not to quit the game because so much knowledge would then be wasted... Which is how I feel haha

Horrible uniques(oh great I could use it for 5 chance orbs), endless layers of randomness, bad performance, dumb mechanics and unrewarding playing make people quit.

The game is only fixed when trading isn't the main cause of obtaining items.

"
Hilbert wrote:

Horrible uniques(oh great I could use it for 5 chance orbs), endless layers of randomness, bad performance, dumb mechanics and unrewarding playing make people quit.

The game is only fixed when trading isn't the main cause of obtaining items.

Bit of a contradiction no? A new trade system fixes none of those "issues."
"
So, is there any new players in this game?

I see what seem to be new players asking questions in Global chat fairly often and the game changes over time so I don't feel that you're heavily penalised for being new or inexperienced.

"
I feel like the player base is already way too experienced for me to catch up and that makes me never get into the game again.

I've never thought of this as a game where you need to 'catch up' to more experienced players.
Knowledge is useful, yes, but it's never been a case where knowledge becomes unavailable simply because of how long ago it came into the game and I don't think it's something that you need to chase after.
Some things you'll learn just from playing the game but there's a lot of stuff which I don't feel is necessary to know.

As always, http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com is a very useful quick-reference resource.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
Barivius wrote:

Bit of a contradiction no? A new trade system fixes none of those "issues."

When the issues I listed are fixed barely anybody will trade and the game is fixed.

I don't talk about a new trading feature.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info