Is this a game that favours elitism? Old/New player seeking advice/help

Hello all.

I used to play Path of Exile like one year ago but, in reality, i never played that much (had lots of chars but max level was 22).

I'm constantly thinking about returning to PoE because i just love the f2p model and the game in general, but i always feel somewhat overwhelmed (not sure if it's the right word) when i check the forums. What i mean is, everybody here look like they are elite players, play this for years and know everything about the game... Knowing that i don't even know how the crafting system (if there's one at all) works sucks.

So, is there any new players in this game? I feel like the player base is already way too experienced for me to catch up and that makes me never get into the game again. Maybe that's because this is the kind of game experienced players re-do characters all the time so, when you meet someone low level it isn't guaranteed that they are a new player (something which was much more obvious in games like WoW).

Thanks guys
Last edited by Kaolnur on Nov 24, 2015, 3:32:22 PM
Nah... most of us are scrubs that have only learned to talk the talk.

Most important is to have fun with the game. It's not important that you're the best, or even in the top half to have fun with it.
Basically, you should pick your favorite class, go to a subforum for that class and choose a class that is affordable to new players and easy to play (since easy-to-play and affordable are the biggest pros in any build, just search for a thread that has either of those two words in thread title).

After that, everything is straightforward - you keep leveling up your character (the difficulty scaling was done in a way that you can smash through all locations with whatever loot you find along the way). Follow the skill tree for the build you chose, pick up all possible orbs, save them for later, keep levelling up more and you will be in Merciless difficulty before you know it.

It is uncommon to see detailed discussions about game's mechanics on forum - people mostly talk and share opinions on current and upcoming content, so you're not missing out on anything if you don't read the forums often.

You will learn about the game as you play, just don't rush it.
Last edited by anvilgod on Nov 24, 2015, 3:33:54 PM
I wouldn't read a guide until I understood the game better. Play a character up through normal difficulty with what ever skills you might pick up along the way. Don't sweat it if it's not perfect. Goof off a bit with it, trying out different things.

THEN you might understand what someone is trying to say with their build guide.
I think it is easier to see experienced players on forums becase new players often don't visit forums or just read them. But there is many less experienced player, questions about build or game mechanics appear everyday.

There are also new players in game. When I trade in standard I sometimes get questions from buyers about how to visit my hideout or how to link items on chat.

"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Nov 24, 2015, 3:59:13 PM
Thank you for your answers.
Have fun, discover the game and what it has to offer. Do your own thing and enjoy exile!
Look on my works ye mighty, and despair.

Harvest league oh you are beautiful.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Nah... most of us are scrubs that have only learned to talk the talk.

Most important is to have fun with the game. It's not important that you're the best, or even in the top half to have fun with it.

Preach.

Everyone started out as a noob.

As long as you are having fun doesn't matter what the other people think you don't even have to interact with anyone if you don't want to.

Oh and if you want some gear on Standard I got you covered.
I need a signature to look legit
Last edited by Hunt8722 on Nov 24, 2015, 5:31:13 PM
Ignore those fools belittling you or posting "L2P".

That's one reason Feedback got became unreadable.

Some want to be elitist posts "L2P" you call him out. Your post gets edited/removed and you receive a probation.

One reason they hide their tabs is that they aren't so elite they want to be.

I rememeber people commenting on the Mapsystem when their highest character wasn't even in cruel.

Gotta be an elitist for that storage space

Stash tabs favor the bold
Last edited by Stormquake on Nov 24, 2015, 5:44:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info