Frequently failing to connect to new zones

I keep getting "an unexpected disconnection occured" when going to new zones. I've had this problem even zoning in from non-town zones to town, disconnecting twice to Sarn, so when I try to log back in it says it "failed to connect to instance". I sometimes get "unable to connect to login server" too, after one of these disconnects. My internet is fine; no other issues anywhere else. The issue started ~3 days ago and seems to be getting worse.
Last edited by Slachi on Nov 24, 2015, 8:21:03 AM
Race over. Rushing to overcome the disconnect penalty has taught me how much I can skip. So, this wasn't all a loss.

here's a trace thing

http://pastebin.com/1UeDHXh7

I'm not disconnecting per se, so much as the game server seems to fail to move me to new instances. I haven't experienced a failure going to a zone that I've gone to in last 15 minutes or so.

Also of late, there seems to often be a delay between the physical damage from ice shot and the cold/splash damage. Happens about as randomly/frquently. May be related.
lol

I just got an unexpected disconnect trying to delete a character. Kicked me out to login screen.

Had just started the pastebin too

http://pastebin.com/p9FHLc2U
Last edited by Slachi on Nov 24, 2015, 10:41:26 AM
Can you try unplugging all your network hardware (power) then plug it all back in again and start a new trace.

Your trace doesn't look right, and I want to make sure the router isn't being strange.

A fresh power-cycle will hopefully clear that up unless it's a setting/configuration problem (like QoS, etc)

Edit: Also, can you remove the Path of Exile exclusion from your Antivirus/Firewall/Security software and then re-add the PathOfExile executable. Sometimes those exclusions need to be reset... don't forget the built-in Windows firewall either.. that's often the culprit for zoning issues (connecting to a new instance).
Last edited by Drakier on Nov 24, 2015, 11:10:37 AM
Do Mtrs on other sites as well and look if the errors are exclusive to Path of Exile.

Restart your router after turning it off for ~10 min.

@Drakier
Security software is all or nothing.

It may be triggered by inactive Window Handles.
Faulty Security Software will also affect windows.
"
Hilbert wrote:
Do Mtrs on other sites as well and look if the errors are exclusive to Path of Exile.

Restart your router after turning it off for ~10 min.

@Drakier
Security software is all or nothing.

It may be triggered by inactive Window Handles.
Faulty Security Software will also affect windows.

There are MANY instances where PoE works fine to connect and get to the first zone, then fail to change zones.

Almost all of these have been resolved by removing and re-adding the PoE exclusion to Windows Firewall.

Don't believe me, go look them up.

It's not "all or nothing"... there are shades of corrupt gray in between.... especially when it comes to Windows Firewall.
You receive a message if you want to trust the executable on first Startup if you use a Windows Firewall.

Advanced handling of WF means people know what they do and problems don't suddenly appear for 3 days they are there from the start.

Suddenly appearing problems are caused by patches, ISP connected or are caused by a server.

I'm not attempting to argue with you or say you're wrong... just saying that Windows Firewall often times has to "re-trust" the executable... yes.. this is usually after a patch.

But I've seen plenty of cases with PoE where it partially works until it is removed and added back to the firewall exclusions.. then it just works as expected. It's something to do with how the system handles the server-handoff and needing to connect from one instance to another. I've often seen this issues with Router hardware as well, but that was most often just a misconfiguration, or the router acting up and needing to be restarted.
Routers needing a restart wouldn't be Path of Exile exclusive, that's why I told him to check other sites as well.

Think. The client changes every patch, most firewalls consider the executable as new application. Especially when PathofExile doesn't appear as an installed program.
You could be annoyed by FWmessages popping up similar to UAC messages then again you need to manually change the settings and the problems would occur every patch. It's not like the firewall has a free will and deceides to sometimes block connections by and app or not.

Regarding the firewalls the question should be more are you a whitelister, blacklister or do you use default settings in threads "Stuck at Checking Resources"

I'd like to see what sort of results WinMTR comes back with to different locations. It's a bit odd to see the results depicted in the results so far. Such huge packet loss at every hop but the packet loss doesn't show on the destination results. There is a high value for the worst, so that could be a sign of problem somewhere along the way, but with none of the hops showing useful information, I'd like to see if a different route to a different destination yield similarly 'interesting' results.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info