I check the PoE website today to see this...

"
Zomil wrote:
i hate random...im so unlucky with this kind of chance :S

i bet dio3 gonna be released before i get a key and after that i dont think that im gonna try this out. i know its hard to invite a bunch of people, but dio3 is coming and if people cant try this out, i think they just stay with d3

I don't think you (and, I'm guessing, lots of other folks) do not understand the purpose of a beta test.

Alpha Test is done in order to determine that the major game algorithms work. Movement, combat, portals, pathing, basic GUI operation, etc. This is usually done mostly in-house, but may have "small" numbers of outside people to help in the case of smaller developers.

Beta Test is done after the alpha test indicates that most things are functional. It is done with larger number of people and is used to find bugs, especially the corner cases not easy to predict of find with planned testing. Because the game usually is set up on a "smaller" server and with lots of debugging info and logging enabled, the amount of simultaneous users is usually limited to keep from overloading these servers. This is what is often referred to as "Closed Beta".

Stress Testing (often done as an Open Beta) is used to get larger numbers of people in order to stress and test the network algorithms and interfaces. This can also be done as a Closed Beta with lots of keys available.

There is undoubtedly some marketing and publicity benefits for each of the above phases, and game release timing is also a critical factor in the success of failure of a game. However, the main purpose of these tests is to TEST the software, not to allow folks to have a sneak peak at the game.

- - - -
So, as a recap. GGG is running the beta tests for their own purposes, and are doing so in a way that THEY feel benefits them. They will continue to do so. The only reason you even have any idea how the beta players are determined is that they have made the process public, which many if not most game companies don't do.

The world does not revolve around you and your desires. Deal with it.

Beta Invite Timer = Chaotic

Oh, and you know the thing about chaos?

Its fair.

+1 to anyone who knows where that is from :)
Just wait,who knows...Chaotic un you can be dropped next one on the list :D
Heh,don't worry fella. Too many people is waiting for keys ;)
"
Varro wrote:

which many if not most game companies don't do.

a lot of company do public beta test for their online game

this game is in beta for at least 1year now, i know its hard to do, but the big rival(d3) is coming fast, and i think they need to let in as many players as they can in the game, so the players can start to "love" the game. but if they dont speed up the invite a lot of ppl gonna forget about it when d3 come out.

and yea i know the beta is not about me, but its hard to wait for a game when i see i have 0 chance to get in, because every time i look on the main page all i see that some1 with 0post and with a last visit date that is same with the register date get a beta key.

This random generator is just the worst thing i ever saw for a beta invite.
Just relax, remember open beta is early 2012! I'd like to get in earlier, but if I don't, that's something to look forward to
Well said Varro.

And for those saying "oh but diablo will be out and people will forget about it"
It is a bit of a catch-22, If GGG let more people in than they can handle, servers can handle, or development team can stay "ahead" of.. you can often lose people due to a game not being finished, being buggy.. or as you said a more polished game comes out..

At least from being on the beta waiting list.. when this game does go open beta.. or even final product.. you can look back and think "yeh i was keen to try that game" and give it a shot.. regardless of if you are playing another game.

-G
"
Zomil wrote:
"
Varro wrote:

which many if not most game companies don't do.

a lot of company do public beta test for their online game

this game is in beta for at least 1year now, i know its hard to do, but the big rival(d3) is coming fast, and i think they need to let in as many players as they can in the game, so the players can start to "love" the game. but if they dont speed up the invite a lot of ppl gonna forget about it when d3 come out.

and yea i know the beta is not about me, but its hard to wait for a game when i see i have 0 chance to get in, because every time i look on the main page all i see that some1 with 0post and with a last visit date that is same with the register date get a beta key.

This random generator is just the worst thing i ever saw for a beta invite.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by that quote. It means that the PROCESS of selecting the beta members is much more open than others I have seen. Most developers choose from about 3 pools for their betas (exclusive of their own employees).

1. The first (and most useful) being previous beta testers that they know and have had good response from. These can even be chosen as alpha testers if the developer needs extra help in this area. This pool is virtually certain to be invite-only.

2. The invite list. This includes people known by the developers (friends/family/etc), gaming press, operators of game fan sites, and perhaps even certain individuals chosen for their insightful and useful discussions on the forums. These are chosen for various reasons, but the important thing for us is that this is also a "selected individual" list.

3. The general public. When numbers are needed this is where they are. However, because of those same numbers, entry to the beta must be limited if server and developer overload is to be avoided. Most developers use either some kind of randomization scheme or a first come scheme (or perhaps a combination of both) for selection. Often this pool is broken up into sub pools based on things like location, computer specs, etc.

The thing that is different here is we, the members of pool #3 get to SEE the selections being made, as opposed to the normal method of sign up, wait for a wave of beta keys being announced, and checking your email or PM to see if you made it in. This ability to see the selections take place allows us to examine the little we can see about the chosen one and find some way to argue that they are not as deserving as us.

You need to step back and consider that GGG knows whether the people they invite take part. If GGG determines that accounts that are created for the purpose of signing up and then do not log in again don't take part, then their selection process would change. Since they haven't, and have in fact repeatedly stated that there is nothing unusual about lurkers and they would not be excluded, it is clear that they are getting enough value from them to continue the method as it stands.

I see that every so often too when I log on. Yeah it's frustrating but on the other hand so is beta testing sometimes.
"
RuGu wrote:
Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? Its fair.

The Joker in The Dark Knight
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

-Christopher Hitchens

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info