Now that there will be traps, will there also be puzzles?

You know, a dungeon full of traps is nice, but a dungeon full of traps and puzzles is even better. Something to test your brains in addition to your twitch skills. Nothing too complicated, of course, as we don't want to drive away the millenials, just some levers and buttons to disable traps, open secret passages and such.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
They kind of implied that there would be... they said there would be a limited number of keys, and more doors than there were keys. It's sort of a "puzzle" to figure out which doors to open and which to leave closed. They also mentioned secret doors.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Nov 22, 2015, 11:08:41 AM
If puzzles are becoming a big part of PoE, I'm out. I hate puzzles in my fast paced action games. If I want puzzles, I play Portal. Or Broken fucking Sword.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
did you watch the gameplay video's? :)

There not complex or anything, but the traps are already presented like simplistic puzzles.
(change the rotation to enable a passage way is a very small puzzle, though its there)

And there are already secret rooms, though i did not see a puzzle requirement to enter them, i consider that a route worth exploring.

If they make them more visible, but prevent access with a puzzle. It would force a choice on the player in speed runs, figuring out the puzzle could yield a substantial reward.

I dig that concept, secret rooms with puzzle oriented entrance. Would be sweet.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:

Nah just the trailer. Saw many traps but nothing that would indicate puzzles. Good to hear that it's part of the design tho.
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Nah just the trailer. Saw many traps but nothing that would indicate puzzles. Good to hear that it's part of the design tho.

If you check the gamelay trailer (it think it was on MMORPG.com or something like that) you can see that there are some simple Puzzles. It is mostly about figuring out the patterns of traps and pulling some levers.

Som nothing too complicated, but in my opinion simple enough for an ARPG.

Also remember that all this content is completly optional.
^yeah i was going to mention, they are extremely "simple" but i don't consider that a bad thing given this is an ARPG.

But i would not mind some complicated puzzles to enter secret treasure rooms for example, those would be completely optional for people to figure out when running the labyrinth.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I see it as optional stuff for those less concerned with min-maxing, clear speed and all of that malarkey.

Options are a good way to hold and bring in a larger player base (mtx purchases).
I wouldn't mind a design that let's the "fast-paced action" crowd breeze through the dungeon asap while explorers can go out of their way to find hidden and secret treasures. Question is whether GGG want to dedicate the development time to content that only a fraction of players will see let alone appreciate.
If the puzzles are too complex, they have to be manually created. They would get old pretty quickly.

If you want procedurally generated puzzles, they have to be somewhat simple. Puzzles that are too simple are just a time comsuming roadblock and not an actual challenge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info