The M.A.I.N reason why most ppl stay on standard.

I've only been playing this game for a couple of months so take this with a grain of salt but...

I CAN'T hit maps in 12 hours of /played. I've got normal down to 4-6 hours depending on how masochistic my build is but I've yet to do it in less than 4. Granted I don't play race style but I don't just fuck around scorched earth style in zones either.

This game, while having mostly friendly players (just came from LoL you no idea how much I'm enoying this) has the single worst, shittiest, not even borderline user friendly, seriously newbs just fuck yourself, setup ever. Since the dawn of my online gaming life way back in the 90's, I have never encountered a game less noob friendly. Seriously, no AH? I've pretty much got the google research thing down at this but having to find out after the fact that wasting your first regal to make this really shitty wand into a really shitty rare wand is asinine when you can just make a 3 minute tutorial in A1Z1 by forcing the first mob to drop an alteration or something then giving a popup that says, 'Hey broman! this is money!" would be like, I don't know, useful?

I have briefly played the 1MSC and now Darkshrine but it's still shitty. In the 0-3 hours a day-ish I get to play I don't really want to spend my time setting up shop ON A FUCKING THIRD PARTY SITE (sorry but really?) with the 4 new drops I THINK might be worth selling. Let's not forget that I still have to do research to figure out what they are worth because -> new guy and despite knowing what an exalted orb is it's also a bit mythical, like a unicorn. Shit I get excited when I see a regal. Saw a divine drop the other day and it felt so good. I mean sure it's the uglier slightly overweight best friend of the girl you actually want to hookup with but at least your foot's in the door now.

Which leads into why standard is a giant bag of ass. Items selling for $1200 (3 mirror)? Are you fucking shitting me? I get that the company is called Grinding Gear Games but fuck man. You want to kill a game? Make everything limited edition and really good. Then make more stuff completely unavailable to the gen. pop.

Fun fact. I just spent a few minutes googling conversion rates as well as the cost of purchasing currency from third party sites. To buy a clean Voll's Devotion costs 30+ exalts (31 is the cheapest atm). I can chance/scour an agate (if I ever get to that point with Zana and have enough chaos to spam the fucking map mod) 1000 times for what it would cost to buy the equivalent exalts. That whole process sounds like a jolly good time. But, since I'm a good little boy, I'll trade chaos for them. Right now the exchange rate for chance is ~ 8-1 and scour ~ 2-1. That's 625 chaos to have the CHANCE (giggle) of getting a Voll's Devotion. Oh yea, the third party site would also charge me ~$55 for the currency.

That's just one build defining unique. Most of them are that way and it doesn't really get better in a new league. If anything it's worse because most people on poe.trade just know what stuff costs in standard and import their price. Sure stuff might be cheaper for the first 4 days - week, maybe. But my experience is that I will probably continue having to find budget versions of things I actually want. Actually that's probably true of both standard and temp leagues.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

/endrant

edit: That statement was so misread that I got a message from GGG. Holy shit folks.
Last edited by Celosar on Nov 24, 2015, 6:20:22 PM
"
Celosar wrote:
To buy a clean Voll's Devotion costs 30+ exalts (31 is the cheapest atm). I can chance/scour an agate (if I ever get to that point with Zana and have enough chaos to spam the fucking map mod) 1000 times for what it would cost to buy the equivalent exalts. That whole process sounds like a jolly good time. But, since I'm a good little boy, I'll trade chaos for them. Right now the exchange rate for chance is ~ 8-1 and scour ~ 2-1. That's 625 chaos to have the CHANCE (giggle) of getting a Voll's Devotion. Oh yea, the third party site would also charge me ~$55 for the currency.

That's just one build defining unique.

/endrant

Voll's devotion is a bit of a bad example since it is a league specific and these are meant to be nigh impossible to get. Why do you want that item anyway as a new player?

My tip: try to make interesting characters with the items that you HAVE. Building characters might change considerably with the upcoming ascendancy expansion.

AH will never ever happen. Also you are not obliged to set up a shop or sell anything. Orbs drop and most orbs can be obtained through recipes.

I can understand the frustration for some new players but then again I like that this is no carebear game. I wouldn't be here if it was. You put the time into it and it will pay off, trust me. If you want you can join a guild. There are always guilds recruiting new players who can gradually learn you the ropes of the game.

"
Celosar wrote:
Since the dawn of my online gaming life way back in the 90's, I have never encountered a game less noob friendly.

I have known ones who were even more cutthroat than PoE.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Celosar wrote:
/snip

I've been playing PoE since OB and I can 100% totally understand why you and many new players coming to this game feels.

The standard forum replies are the usual "PoE is not for noobs" or "L2P or GTFO".

For your standard league rent the usual replies are "just play temporary leagues and quit this game when there's no new leagues going until the next temporary league starts"... yes they are asking you to reroll unlimited of times over and over and over and over and over or deal with standard.

PoE is really not designed for players that wants to stay with a few well developed characters... PoE is designed to encourge players to reroll (which is also why GGG gets away with completely fucked up economy on standard).

And yes I agree PoE has the worst trading system ever for an online multiplayer game since June 2000. I've tried to push the idea to push for a better trading system then PoE's infamous train wreck... but PoE's community rather tell new players to GTFO than accepting possible improvements like how desync was fixed *wink wink* when all the PoE lols tells you to l2p around desync or GTFO since desync is "IMPOSSIBLE" to fix... amazing how clueless people could get sometimes...

And I am not even calling for an Auction House... a non-retarded trading system would suffice... like something, anything, OFFICIAL from GGG (that's not some 3rd party shit) would be a good start.

It's apparent the majority of PoE players are neophobe, and there's really nothing much we can do about it, no matter how much we want the game to grow... oh well...

For now it's just the traditional telling new players to L2P or GTFO.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
"
Celosar wrote:
I've only been playing this game for a couple of months so take this with a grain of salt but...

I CAN'T hit maps in 12 hours of /played. I've got normal down to 4-6 hours depending on how masochistic my build is but I've yet to do it in less than 4. Granted I don't play race style but I don't just fuck around scorched earth style in zones either.

This game, while having mostly friendly players (just came from LoL you no idea how much I'm enoying this) has the single worst, shittiest, not even borderline user friendly, seriously newbs just fuck yourself, setup ever. Since the dawn of my online gaming life way back in the 90's, I have never encountered a game less noob friendly. Seriously, no AH? I've pretty much got the google research thing down at this but having to find out after the fact that wasting your first regal to make this really shitty wand into a really shitty rare wand is asinine when you can just make a 3 minute tutorial in A1Z1 by forcing the first mob to drop an alteration or something then giving a popup that says, 'Hey broman! this is money!" would be like, I don't know, useful?

I have briefly played the 1MSC and now Darkshrine but it's still shitty. In the 0-3 hours a day-ish I get to play I don't really want to spend my time setting up shop ON A FUCKING THIRD PARTY SITE (sorry but really?) with the 4 new drops I THINK might be worth selling. Let's not forget that I still have to do research to figure out what they are worth because -> new guy and despite knowing what an exalted orb is it's also a bit mythical, like a unicorn. Shit I get excited when I see a regal. Saw a divine drop the other day and it felt so good. I mean sure it's the uglier slightly overweight best friend of the girl you actually want to hookup with but at least your foot's in the door now.

Which leads into why standard is a giant bag of ass. Items selling for $1200 (3 mirror)? Are you fucking shitting me? I get that the company is called Grinding Gear Games but fuck man. You want to kill a game? Make everything limited edition and really good. Then make more stuff completely unavailable to the gen. pop.

Fun fact. I just spent a few minutes googling conversion rates as well as purchasing currency from third party sites. To buy a clean Voll's Devotion costs 30+ exalts (31 is the cheapest atm). I can chance/scour an agate (if I ever get to that point with Zana and have enough chaos to spam the fucking map mod) 1000 times for what it would cost to buy the equivalent exalts. That whole process sounds like a jolly good time. But, since I'm a good little boy, I'll trade chaos for them. Right now the exchange rate for chance is ~ 8-1 and scour ~ 2-1. That's 625 chaos to have the CHANCE (giggle) of getting a Voll's Devotion. Oh yea, the third party site would also charge me ~$55 for the currency.

That's just one build defining unique. Most of them are that way and it doesn't really get better in a new league. If anything it's worse because most people on poe.trade just know what stuff costs in standard and import their price. Sure stuff might be cheaper for the first 4 days - week, maybe. But my experience is that I will probably continue having to find budget versions of things I actually want. Actually that's probably true of both standard and temp leagues.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

/endrant

You dont set up your shop on a 3rd party site. You set it up on the official trade forums on this website, all poe.trade does is act as a search engine for the official trade forums. 3rd party sites that sell currency for real money are illegal in game terms, theyre against terms of service and you can be banned for using them. Its not even wise to talk about them. Ive been playing this game for over 2 and a half years, I couldnt tell you what a mirror costs in real money from a 3rd party site, I wouldnt even open an rmt site in a browser to see out of interest. What I have invested in this game time wise and money wise in terms of donations to GGG via supporter packs is too precious to put at any risk.

If I wanted a volls devotion Id just trade for one in game, or not have sold the one I had. Ive been playing for 2.5 years, 30ex for the item, its expensive but I could sell something and have 100 exalts by wednesday. Thats what time brings. Ive never checked my /played to see how long it takes me to get to maps, Ive never done it in a race style. But I can hit maps day 2 of a league if I want and then have 100 exalts of currency within the first month. It doesnt bother me if it was 12 hours or 18 hours /played to maps, doesnt bother me that 100 exalts wont buy me a 3 mirror item. With time it wont bother you either, when you get to the point where you can buy a 3 mirror item, youll buy 6x half mirror items instead because by that point you will understand there is literally 0 real difference between them. You wont need to research prices, you wont care about wasting a single regal orb. Thats why this game is great, theres actually a learning curve, real progression that goes on for years if you want it to, knowing everything and having access to everything right away is anti the spirit of what makes loot based arpgs fun. Just do your own thing and enjoy the journey, enjoy learning more and more, seeing the benefits of the knowledge. Theres no rush, all in good time.
And here I am playing Perma HC and having fun.
Lowest level Hardcore Atziri Kill ~ Level 65 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDB6Haa6U8
Level 100 Tempest HC with self-made and most played build of POE 2.0 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTUOhqEZ9s
(✿◠‿◠)
Main reasons I'm playing standard HC:

1) Masters are a nuisance to level up.
2) Remove only tabs are a nuisance to deal with.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Nov 23, 2015, 8:54:24 AM
Faceroll all the content without taking damage? What's the point in that
"
Celosar wrote:
This game, while having mostly friendly players (just came from LoL you no idea how much I'm enoying this) has the single worst, shittiest, not even borderline user friendly, seriously newbs just fuck yourself, setup ever. Since the dawn of my online gaming life way back in the 90's, I have never encountered a game less noob friendly.

Can I interest you in some Dwarf Fortress? Fantastic community, incredibly deep game mechanics, an entire world to explore with dozens of cities and many different cultures, 10000 years of history, unmatched balance, unparalleled graphics... =D
PoE needs better social features... and more cats!
"
Celosar wrote:

/endrant

Yes, this game is hard to grasp, and that is one of the things I love about poe. Seriously, there are so many alternative games which are interesting AND easy to grasp. Why would you want to change the one exception to the rule?
''It was nice but not really great'' in memory of rondanashu 13.4.2016
"
Celosar wrote:
Fun fact. I just spent a few minutes googling conversion rates as well as purchasing currency from third party sites. To buy a clean Voll's Devotion costs 30+ exalts (31 is the cheapest atm).

I hope that wasn't real money for in-game orbs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info