Ascendancy Classes

"
CookieVortex wrote:
No idea how they will balance that. Some classes have game breaking nodes like templar's resistance ignore or duelist's block chance applied to spells (sure you can do that now, but for huge drawbacks especially for melee).

Why does a single player game have to be balanced?
Originally Posted by battlebug on 12.02.2011:

can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
"
Ornias wrote:
Because there isn't meaningful choice when the correct choice is absurdly obvious.

However, before we get confused, I want to clear up some terminology. "Balance" should refer to the adjustment of player options such that multiple choices are, or at least appear to be, viable, making the correct choices non-obvious. If you're not talking about two or more player choices, the concept of balance doesn't apply, because the player in the driver's seat isn't weighing multiple choices within his or her head. If we're talking about a player versus AI situation, we shouldn't be using the term "balance" to describe it, but instead more accurate terms such as "difficulty" or "pacing."

So if what you really mean is "why does a single player game need to have difficulty?" then the answer to that is: if there isn't a set of player choices which involves some form of failure state, then even wrong choices win, thus balance no longer matters - there is no meaningful choice. I guess to some perfectionists out there suboptimal loot-per-hour is a failure state, so it's worth noting that "you have died" screens aren't the only way to create the appropriate tension.

And yes, these are two forces that work against each other. On the one hand, having one choice be a clear winner is no fun because choice is essentially automatic; on the other hand, having no choices be losers is not fun because choice is irrelevant.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 22, 2015, 3:05:16 PM
Updated my original list with Juggernaut and Inquisitor.
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Ornias wrote:
Because there isn't meaningful choice when the correct choice is absurdly obvious.

However, before we get confused, I want to clear up some terminology. "Balance" should refer to the adjustment of player options such that multiple choices are, or at least appear to be, viable, making the correct choices non-obvious. If you're not talking about two or more player choices, the concept of balance doesn't apply, because the player in the driver's seat isn't weighing multiple choices within his or her head. If we're talking about a player versus AI situation, we shouldn't be using the term "balance" to describe it, but instead more accurate terms such as "difficulty" or "pacing."

So if what you really mean is "why does a single player game need to have difficulty?" then the answer to that is: if there isn't a set of player choices which involves some form of failure state, then even wrong choices win, thus balance no longer matters - there is no meaningful choice. I guess to some perfectionists out there suboptimal loot-per-hour is a failure state, so it's worth noting that "you have died" screens aren't the only way to create the appropriate tension.

And yes, these are two forces that work against each other. On the one hand, having one choice be a clear winner is no fun because choice is essentially automatic; on the other hand, having no choices be losers is not fun because choice is irrelevant.

While this is all true, there's an even stronger requirement for Balance (actual balance, not just difficulty) between various PvE builds.

Strong PvE builds are able to obtain resources much more quickly than weak PvE builds. This game importantly has several options to invest resources into future returns, such as getting a stronger weapon to kill faster, or getting MF gear.

On top of that, trading is competitive, and strong PvE builds are thus able to trade better as well. (Granted, this argument is only true while certain builds are desired over others, and while they have specific desired gear/resources. Bad balance certainly aggravates this.)

As a result, if you really want to play fun, wacky builds and test the game out and have a good time, the first thing you should do is play the most broken, boring fucking thing that everyone is talking about. It's a huge tax on player time and choice, and it often leads to people being unable to "gear up" what they want to play within a temp league, or to being tired of partying with the Same Fuckin' Build every time.

Anyway... subclasses are cool.
"
Ornias wrote:
"
CookieVortex wrote:
No idea how they will balance that. Some classes have game breaking nodes like templar's resistance ignore or duelist's block chance applied to spells (sure you can do that now, but for huge drawbacks especially for melee).

poe isnt created nor catered to be a single player game. and it was stated by devs many times. its an online-only arpg with many mmorpg elements.

if we were talking about an ARPG such as TQ, Torchlight or Grim Dawn, then yeah- balance isnt really needed. well, its needed if you want to make a meaningful choice between classes/etc, but its not a big deal if something is much better than something else.
"
pneuma wrote:
Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Ornias wrote:

While this is all true, there's an even stronger requirement for Balance (actual balance, not just difficulty) between various PvE builds.

Strong PvE builds are able to obtain resources much more quickly than weak PvE builds. This game importantly has several options to invest resources into future returns, such as getting a stronger weapon to kill faster, or getting MF gear.

On top of that, trading is competitive, and strong PvE builds are thus able to trade better as well. (Granted, this argument is only true while certain builds are desired over others, and while they have specific desired gear/resources. Bad balance certainly aggravates this.)
As a result, if you really want to play fun, wacky builds and test the game out and have a good time, the first thing you should do is play the most broken, boring fucking thing that everyone is talking about. It's a huge tax on player time and choice, and it often leads to people being unable to "gear up" what they want to play within a temp league, or to being tired of partying with the Same Fuckin' Build every time.
Heh. Very astute observation.

I think the subclasses are a good idea, but unfortunately I am not confident they'll be well-balanced right out of the gate. I'm confident 2-4 months after Ascendancy releases they'll have worked out almost all of the kinks and it'll be really cool. Other than that, I think immediately after release will be a lot of fun because there will be OP shit out there, but that shit isn't obvious to us now and it'll take a month before the flavor-of-the-months are established.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I just thought of a semi-interesting interaction in the deadeye tree. When taking this node:

Powerful Precision
Projectiles have 100% additional chance to Pierce targets at the
start of their movement, losing this chance as the projectile travels
further
Projectile Critical Strike Chance increased by Arrow Pierce Chance

does this mean that you get 100% increased crit strike chance when using infractem? So if using infractem AND drillneck you get both 100% increased projectile damage AND 100% increased crit chance?
"
SenJiin wrote:
I just thought of a semi-interesting interaction in the deadeye tree. When taking this node:

Powerful Precision
Projectiles have 100% additional chance to Pierce targets at the
start of their movement, losing this chance as the projectile travels
further
Projectile Critical Strike Chance increased by Arrow Pierce Chance

does this mean that you get 100% increased crit strike chance when using infractem? So if using infractem AND drillneck you get both 100% increased projectile damage AND 100% increased crit chance?

Most likely.
I hope they give elementalist as a class for Witch or Templar (based on elemental damage)...
I would like to know if the 30% increased damage +5 movement speed for yourself+allies from duelist node ''Inspirational'' stacks with other party members who take the same node. If so, imagine a full party with everyone taking that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info