Ascendancy Classes

"
Alhoon wrote:
"
ladish wrote:
I wonder if there will be a beta?

No.

Thanks! Hard to gather info at work on my crappy phone ;)
might be worth a separate thread, but Im lazy as usual

with these sub-classes, GGG's mantra of 'each class can get everything' finally comes to an end. I've written many times that ability of each class to get any skill or node, with the only limited power being where one start on the tree, makes for really tough balance that devs have to fine-tune and be very stingy with powerful things. This includes things like, say, fortify for ranged/casters or life regen that aids RF toons.

to me, the acrchetype subclasses are more of a welcome change than not, because it makes balancing powerful passives much easier and introduces more variety (some keystones are just pure insanity in this preview but we're still far away). plus, the game has been on that path of archetypes for a while.

still quite interesting that we went to this more ARPG-y subclass method after 3+ years.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 5:12:34 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
might be worth a separate thread, but Im lazy as usual

with these sub-classes, GGG's mantra of 'each class can get everything' finally comes to an end. I've written many times that ability of each class to get any skill or node, with the only limited power being where one start on the tree, makes for really tough balance that devs have to fine-tune and be very stingy with powerful things. This includes things like, say, fortify for ranged/casters or life regen that aids RF toons.

to me, the acrchetype subclasses are more of a welcome change than not, because it makes balancing powerful passives much easier and introduces more variety (some keystones are just pure insanity in this preview but we're still far away). plus, the game has been on that path of archetypes for a while.

still quite interesting that we went to this more ARPG-y subclass method after 3+ years.

I think you're going to be surprised how creative people will get with using these sub-classes in unexpected ways. I've already got some wacky ideas floating around.
and that's great ! Im all for slightly more controlled environment (ie, devs know which passives from labyrinth class X, Y and Z will never get) in order to get more powerful combinations, which in turn allow for more diversity.
"
Boem wrote:
These look like key-key-nodes in the sense that they are a on-up to them.

A direct power enhancer without the usual drawback. That's going to be "interesting" :D

Peace,

-Boem-

there has to be a downside somewhere. maybe areas will rise in levels. maybe mob hp or damage will go up. I dont think free 6 really powerful points can go in without downside or main game changes.
"
grepman wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
These look like key-key-nodes in the sense that they are a on-up to them.

A direct power enhancer without the usual drawback. That's going to be "interesting" :D

Peace,

-Boem-

there has to be a downside somewhere. maybe areas will rise in levels. maybe mob hp or damage will go up. I dont think free 6 really powerful points can go in without downside or main game changes.

There will be :), my guess is that the passive tree will be sized down allowing the ascendancy orientation to reach similar value's we reach nowadays.

And at the same time add significant game changing perks for those investments.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I was curious about the Raider ascendancy, but didn't find any image showing all its stronger passives in one screen, so I made this based on the video that got released. Hopefully it's useful for others too.

Raider Tree
Last edited by Rhoa_Power on Nov 20, 2015, 6:32:57 PM
I was initially upset with the mantra of problems with sub classes since I fear it pushes my fringe builds out of the viable range by them not being scaled accordingly but GGG bought my support with the allure of playing a dodge onslaught axe ranger. That sounds really fun.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
My 2c, as someone who was thinking to come back for this expansion. Nope.

Wasn't POE about playing any build with any class (with some power a viability variation)?: Well not anymore, want bows? You have to go Ranger, want minions? - Witch it is then. Plus gating it behind some weird trial that only the ones with lockstep are going to be able to complete without pulling their hair out... no thank you, you lost me.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
My 2c, as someone who was thinking to come back for this expansion. Nope.

Wasn't POE about playing any build with any class (with some power a viability variation)?: Well not anymore, want bows? You have to go Ranger, want minions? - Witch it is then. Plus gating it behind some weird trial that only the ones with lockstep are going to be able to complete without pulling their hair out... no thank you, you lost me.

While I initially felt the same way, after looking through the available classes, I think it won't be the case.
As I play almost exclusivly IW Marauders, having 3 choices of garbage classes would have made me go Duelist/Templar instead.
But one might notice, that most of the classes points are rather broad in application.
Without having seen the other 2 classes for Marauder, it's quite clear that quite a lot of classes that want to be tanky (one of the reasons to start as Marauder) will be quite satisfied with going Juggernaut.

Currently most of the skills look OP as hell though, so that helps make it easier.
As for lockstep:
I think if you use Lightning warp carefully you should be able to skip most of the annoying stuff.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info