Aussies! It's official Huntsman season!

"
Hardlicker wrote:
Most people are allergic to being bitten by a venomous spider to some degree. When I was younger, I was bitten on the eyelid by a spider whilst I was sleeping. I woke up and wasn't able to open my eye. It healed, I was fine after a few days. I don't know which type of spider it was.

When I say allergic I mean it requires hospitalization (ants, bees, wasps and spiders have sent me to the ER with life threatening issues). The spider bite I'm referring to was in my high school days, apparently the spider was riding in my coat and didn't care for me to lean on him. It happened around 3pm that day, felt like I was electrocuted and had a really nasty puss filled bump before I went to bed. Woke up in the morning and it looked like someone shot me in my forearm with a .45, damn hole rotted almost all the way to the bone. Needless to say I was at the hospital for almost a week, damn near killed me. They said I almost waited to long for treatment, hell I didn't even know I was bit by a spider. I thought the pay-phone I leaned on electrocuted me otherwise I would have went straight to the ER. xD

"
Hardlicker wrote:
I still believe in life. All creatures great and small with the exception of mosquitoes, which is why I'm happy to have spiders living outside the house.

Oh I believe in life too but that just reminds me of a bit my favorite stand-up comedian used to do. lol
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Hardlicker wrote:

I still believe in life. All creatures great and small with the exception of mosquitoes, which is why I'm happy to have spiders living outside the house.

As to being squeamish, I've lived in Australia my whole life and I'm used to 90% of the fauna being poisonous.

All depends on circumstance I suppose.As creatures great and small supply this world with a great deal of its food supply,for both us and other creatures.

Different cultures,life experiences and parental/community obligations usually demand a somewhat different approach to a "live and let live" policy.

The most beneficial knowledge for living in rural areas with abundant wildlife,at least in the past was having a keen sense for "fight or flight".Knowing what to kill and if/when to kill it at all kept your family and yourself safe (to some degree).

My house is riddled with critters of all kinds from spiders to reptiles ... all or most cohabitate and we benefit each other to some degree.However,given the decision of choosing between a critter or my family,friends,dependants or livestocks health,I will never hesitate in destroying a real threat to them.Redbacks,tiger snakes,wild boars,brown snakes,ticks,foxes,wild cats/dogs,rats,mice,mozzies,bats .... even sharks have been on my list in earlier days,all are animals that can be serious problems even with their natural counter checks present and some have no natural counter checks.

"Fight or flight" is an acquired knowledge and still never a guarantee of safety when it comes to wild animals and my old friend Steve Irwin is a prime example of what can go horribly wrong when pushing the boundaries of the "law of the wild".If you fuck with it too long,you eventually pay the price,I loved the guy and am sad for his family,but his fate was mostly guaranteed since we were kids and I don't think one of us that grew up with him were surprised at all.... saddened definitely,but not surprised.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is ... "all creatures great and small" may be a novel ideal to go hand in hand with "live and let live",but these are human ideals,animals hold no such regards to their perceived safety and longevity and as such when we play with them,we should play by their rules,else we have things like dingos taking babys,wombats attacking builders,kangaroos killing station workers,crocs eating young children,celebrities impaled by stingrays,family pets (dogs) mauling and killing their owners and the kneejerk reaction of our governments wanting culling sprees or the death of that particular animal for doing nothing more than doing what an animal does.

Note: In light of the money that may or may not be generated by the commonwealth games cycling event the Gold coast council devised a plan to have any and all snake reports dealt with by way of destruction of said animal,rather than adhere to national law of conservation and relocate the animals.

Seems that there is always something of value to someone that even the most avid supporters of "live and let live" laws will not jeopardize.It's too bad that our homes and family do not hold such a value to them.

=P

Last edited by Temper on Nov 23, 2015, 5:47:33 AM
"

Huntsman Spider
While-tailed spider

One thing you should note about these pictures is that the person is actually willing to touch the Huntsman, where the other person is staying away from the tiny Whitetail..

"
I found the biggest white tail spider in my sock drawer the other day.

It was about....

|----------|

^^ that big.
Is this just body size, or overall? Cause overall that's pretty normal. The biggest I've seen was at the old GGG office and had the body length of roughly..

|--------------------|

That may or may not have been the reason we moved offices...
Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any help.
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Nov 23, 2015, 4:06:10 PM
I think the biggest white tail I've ever seen was about this big (not including legs):

|---------------|

And I never went in the garden shed again.

"
Jared_GGG wrote:
One thing you should note about these pictures is that the person is actually willing to touch the Huntsman, where the other person is staying away from the tiny Whitetail..

This is a good point; the person who that finger belongs to got a lot closer to a white tail than I would be comfortable with.
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks
Are these sizes before or after they were squished ? ... it makes a difference as they're not quite so impressive after a round of newspaper smashing.

=P
Last edited by Temper on Nov 24, 2015, 3:52:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info