Teacher victimizes student

"
Quantume wrote:

-The student was a guy,
-and 18, end of story.

The law forbidding sex between teacher and student?
Probably to prevent students from milking better grades.
In this case invalid; His grades were most likely already set in stone that close to graduation.

At our school, in our senior year, one student who was very popular but a class clown was failing English with just a week and half left. It was a required class to graduate and he was doing so poorly that even a perfect final essay wouldn't earn him the 60% necessary to get a D (passing). Our English teacher was never sick, always punctual and in her late 50s. That
that last Friday, both she and the student were absent from class.

Monday, both the student and teacher were back. The teacher was positively beaming and the student wouldn't look at anyone. The student not only graduated, but got an A in English.
At the graduation parties, we found out he had to spend the three day weekend with the teacher if he wanted to graduate. We also learned the teacher had done this a couple times before, and the option to "graduate" with an A in English was always there for any guy taking her class.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Nov 20, 2015, 6:46:01 AM
So, a teacher abused her position, got to spend a nice weekend and the student got to graduate with a completely undeserved A. Who is the victim here and how is this relevant to the story in the OP?
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
The self-righteous hypocrisy in this thread is strong.

Don't tell me none of you wanted to bang your hot teacher when you were in high school.
A female teacher "victimized" an 18 year old man by having consensual sex.

In all seriousness tho, the teacher/student relationship is sacrosanct and shouldn't be compromised with affairs of the heart or genitals.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

ITT: "Boys are always horny so nothing wrong happened." I wonder what the reactions would be if the genders were switched.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
ITT: "Boys are always horny so nothing wrong happened." I wonder what the reactions would be if the genders were switched.

Mine would be more or less the same. But then again, I try not to have double standards. My country having a much more liberal legislation for these things also helps, I guess. The legal consent age here is 14.

Europe is generally much less prudish than the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 23, 2015, 10:00:38 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:

If an 18 year old woman slept with a married middle aged teacher, and that teacher had children, I would still feel bad for the spouse and children more than the woman and man .

I'd question the abuse of power of a teacher over a student if this wasn't just before graduation. There could be information left out, but from what I've read, there was no coercion or abuse of power.

18 year old women sleep with older men quite frequently. It's not illegal. It's illegal for a teacher to sleep with a student. I think the issue is more about abuse of power than the age difference or gender issues.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
On the question of abuse of power: in a situation as described by DalaiLama, there is abuse of power and I do find it reprehensible, but for entirely different reasons. I don't think the student is a victim at all. After all, he had a choice: to get his well-deserved F mark or to evade the rules by trading off his favours for an A. The harm here is for the educational institution as a whole, since its reputation is damaged, and for the other classmates whose efforts and deserved grades were devalued.

The student would have been a victim if the teacher had extorted him by giving lesser marks than he deserved.

As for teacher-student relations allowing for the abuse of power: they certainly do, but there are a lot of similar situations in life where one party is at a disadvantage. Banning any relations just because of the possibility of abuse is a cure worse than the disease since it will also create a variety of problems for people who have good, honest feelings for each other. And the scenario of people who have a lot in common (interests, acquaintances, environment) developing true feelings for each other is quite understandable.

I'm reminded of the principles of Roman law: it's better for a criminal to remain unpunished than an innocent man to be condemned.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 23, 2015, 11:40:54 AM
Bars wrote:

"
I'm reminded of the principles of Roman law: it's better for a criminal to remain unpunished than an innocent man to be condemned.

I agree with you 100%. The problem is in America this is considered an "old fashioned" notion, which, of course is true but it doesn't mean that it is not a right. In the US "throw the baby out with the bath water" is more of the guiding principle in law; very sad.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Bars wrote:

"

I agree with you 100%. The problem is in America this is considered an "old fashioned" notion, which, of course is true but it doesn't mean that it is not a right. In the US "throw the baby out with the bath water" is more of the guiding principle in law; very sad.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold the country with the highest imprisonment rate in the world, death sentences, generally bad prison conditions, private incarceration companies and high prisoner re-entry rates as a role model.

You know it's bad when John Oliver dedicates six fucking episodes to it. I mean, he talked about UEFA only twice and we all know it's far from peachy there.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Prisoner Re-entry

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Prison

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Mandatory Minimums

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Bail

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Public Defenders

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Municipal Violations
Last edited by Bars on Nov 30, 2015, 11:41:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info