Huge lag spike causing DC - characters don't log out

Hello! Since 15th November I'm getting huge lag spikes on all Europe gateways. Everything look ok and then after 5-10min I see ping jump over 100/300/500/1000 and freeze on such position (sometimes jump between those values) and throw me away from game. Also I saw 2 things: first, whenever I log out my char is on map around 10-15s (until I relog); second, changing instance makes my ping back to normal (~50).

I tried tracking my connection with WinMTR and didn't lose single packet on 500 packet try (500 sent and 500 recived on each server).

Not sure is it problem on my side because rest games/streams/programs requiring internet connection don't have any problems. Also I tried logging from different location with different internet service and still had problems.
IGN: Nanashi_Sabazashi
"Size doesn't matter" - Double Strike Tank Guide
view-thread/1321402
There has been some issues recently with folks in EU, a lot of which has been due to routing through a specific network. Could you post the WinMTR results for us to take a look. It might not be dropping packets, but if you are seeing intermittent spikes in latency, that can cause a pretty terrible experience in game as well. If it is an issue with the routing, then there may be ways around it. That would explain why it doesn't show up in other games.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Here go my WinMTR results from nearest server:
speedtest.ams01.softlayer.com (Amsterdam - "EU Gateway")

speedtest.fra02.softlayer.com (Frankfurt - Beta Only)

speedtest.lon02.softlayer.com (London - Beta Only)

Not sure did I ping good servers but those were listed on Yours tutorial of WinMTR.
view-thread/1321402
"
ShihanPiotr wrote:
Here go my WinMTR results from nearest server:
speedtest.ams01.softlayer.com (Amsterdam - "EU Gateway")
|speedtest.ams01.softlayer.com 14 0 500 500 34 36 56 35 |

These results don't look too bad. The packet loss and latency spikes you see on several hops isn't there at the end, so it is likely just traffic mitigation.

"
ShihanPiotr wrote:
speedtest.fra02.softlayer.com (Frankfurt - Beta Only)
speedtest.fra02.softlayer.com 13 0 500 500 48 51 142 53

While the general response times that you see to the Frankfurt gateway aren't as good, and your worst response time is a bit high indicating a bit of a spike, overall it doesn't look too bad. You don't have packet loss and the average response time is still pretty good. Numbers like that shouldn't cause you too much trouble.

"
ShihanPiotr wrote:
speedtest.lon02.softlayer.com (London - Beta Only)
speectest.lon02.softlayer.com 14 1 493 491 41 44 143 42

These numbers don't look so good. You have some packet loss going on that originates somewhere between the be2222.ccr21.vie.atlas.cogentco.com and the end gateway. Is this the one that gives you trouble, or is it constant between all 3?

The top 2 indicate pretty decent results you should be able to play decently enough with. If it is happening on all three, then it could be some sort of local security software or firewall causing you trouble. I'd start by creating an exception for path of exile.

Unfortunately, I have problems on three of them. It started in the end of last week and before that I didn't have single problem with my latency. After You mention firewall problem I checked list on my "allow program to bypass firewall" and I saw second key for Path of Exile which was unchecked. Not sure what cause making second key but I allowed it to bypass. I will test now connection and report result tomorrow.
view-thread/1321402
I hope that helps!

Let us know. Good luck!

Unfortunately I'm still occur problem with such lag spikes. Also I spotted that after enabling again bypass firewall for Path of Exile those lag spike seem to only appear after entering instance (town, returning by portal, map, opening new instance) and cause freeze and DC after some time. Leaving instance and returning after second remove latency spikes.

Meanwhile those lag spikes appear I was pinging Amsterdam server in windows command window and while lags were visible in game, ping still was around 30-40. I did the same test with WinMTR the result was the same - lag in game wasn't visible in packets losing.

Not sure what can it cause. Any ideas?
view-thread/1321402
Last edited by ShihanPiotr on Nov 20, 2015, 2:01:42 AM
If Pings look clean, but in game latency is bad, it may be something local. Are you able to bypass your router and run some tests?

Somethings you could do is disable 'Priority & VLAN' and 'Flow Control' for your network adapter. You really SHOULDN'T have to do this though. It's something to try that shouldn't cause any problems for anything else though.

I tried bypassing router and still occur same problems. After you said it's local I sent a ticket to my internet provider. They said they couldn't find and change settings for me to resolve this problem. Maybe it will be fine after some time (the dream). Maybe it's something with my laptop, maybe some update messed up with settings. I will try to check path of exile on different pc.
view-thread/1321402

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info