Trapper Questions

Meanwhile I found some posts that cold snap cooldown can be reduced from power charges. But I´m not sure whether its really possible
Not reduced. Bypassed. Slightly different. For self-caast cold snap, at least, if you have 6 Power Charges, you can cast 7 cold Snaps (1 + 6 bypasses) as fast as your Casting Speed allows you. I'm not 100% sure how this works with Trap, but I assume it works the same, but with Trap-laying instead of Casting.

EDIT: And I can confirm that it is "really possible" at least for self-cast because I use Cold Snap on my hipster crit cold witch, and I bypass Cold Snap cooldown on a regular basis (I rapid-cast as I mentioned)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Nov 10, 2015, 11:46:29 AM
Trap --> MultiTrap --> FireStorm --> Fire Penetration = ENJOY :)
Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
"
tobiazl wrote:
Meanwhile I found some posts that cold snap cooldown can be reduced from power charges. But I´m not sure whether its really possible

Read my previous post. Cold Snap + Trap is not affected by Cold Snap cooldown, you can spam it however you want.
I really played a trapper ones, before 2.0. It was crit based and had 3 traps.

Fire trap, ele prolif, fire pen, inc burning dmg and conc eff in 5L infernal mantle. For everything. Now i would replace conc eff with trap and mine dmg for better pack coverage.

Arc, multitrap, trap, lighting pen for packs.

And flame surge, trap, conc eff and fire pen for bosses.

I cleared everything quite good. Until i ripped with lvl 80 or so to a lmp crit extra dmg and another crap carrion queen. Got shotgunned with all 3 projectiles in a too high map, my mistake.

Hope it helps.
"
PaperRat wrote:
"
tobiazl wrote:

Read my previous post. Cold Snap + Trap is not affected by Cold Snap cooldown, you can spam it however you want.

Oh I didn´t read correctly. Sorry.

I don´t understand why ele prolif in fire trap. For the chance to ignite? But why, the enemies are standing on burning ground and getting burning damage. That´s not ignite?
Last edited by tobiazl on Nov 10, 2015, 6:42:52 PM
"
tobiazl wrote:

I don´t understand why ele prolif in fire trap. For the chance to ignite? But why, the enemies are standing on burning ground and getting burning damage. That´s not ignite?

Prolif spreads ignite from your fire trap (or fireball trap) so it artificially buffs your AoE a little (it was quite a lot of extra AoE before 2.0), it also makes a little nice kill zone for 4 seconds to clean up stragglers (very usefull for traps since you don't, in general, want to use a trap on one half dead white mob).

The main reason for using it IMO is to spread ignites from monsters with weak fire resistance to monsters with high fire resistance. For example you have a rare with extra fire res or immune to curses and a bunch of white mobs, when they all get ignited white mobs will spread a more powerfull version of ignite to rare and melt it down. It works wonders with uniques, exiles etc. as long as you have a less resistant mob around to act as a spreader.

That's also the reason to grab mostly elemental damage and fire damage on a fire trapper, because those two double dip on ignites (they affect the initial hit and ignite damage afterwards). Fire resistance in the same way also affects ignite twice, that's why prolif is so good.

Also the damage from burning ground stacks with ignite, if I'm not mistaken.
Thank you very much for the detailed information.

I have only 5 link gear, so I think my options are then fire trap and lightning trap.
Cold Snap would be nice, but if I consider "cold snap, trap, multi trap, ele prol, cold pen" as must have, there is no space for damage support left.

The same with Poison Arrow "PA, trap, multi trap, pierce, iAoE"

And 6 link is for me almost impossible.
"
PaperRat wrote:

You are not mistaken. :) Burning Damage (Fire DoT) from different sources stacks. Fire Trap is the "origin" of both Damage over Time effects, but the Damage over Time is applied by a different effect, namely by Burning Ground and Ignite. Ignite is not the same as Burning Ground, so it stacks. Searing Bond would also stack on top, for example, but an Ignite from Fireball would not.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 11, 2015, 8:30:08 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
PaperRat wrote:

You are not mistaken. :) Burning Damage (Fire DoT) from different sources stacks. Fire Trap is the "origin" of both Damage over Time effects, but the Damage over Time is applied by a different effect, namely by Burning Ground and Ignite. Ignite is not the same as Burning Ground, so it stacks. Searing Bond would also stack on top, for example, but an Ignite from Fireball would not.

Neat, thank you for clarification.

"
tobiazl wrote:

I have only 5 link gear, so I think my options are then fire trap and lightning trap.
Cold Snap would be nice, but if I consider "cold snap, trap, multi trap, ele prol, cold pen" as must have, there is no space for damage support left.

I wouldn't use ele prolif with cold snap, it'll spread freezes (which is nice), but it'll shatter corpses (which is bad, cause you can't spread without a corpse), so you can in theory use trap damage in a 5 link. Considering prolif, many people will tell you that it's not in a good place right now, so don't only take my word for it :), game's at it's best when you try different things.

Anyway, for a first trapper build fire trap is definitely a safer choice, I think.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info