Trapper Questions

Hi !

I´ve played a Incinerate Totem build until lvl88 and I´m a little bit bored meanwhile. So I´m looking for a new build and traps are an interssting option.

Since 2.0 I see not many guildes/builds for traps.

Is trapper with casual gear still viable for endgame maps? My totem build is good even for tier11 maps. With the trapper possible too, or only with expensive gear?

What traps are viable? Lighnting and fire? Anything else? (expect poison Arrow trap - thats boring ;-) ) For boss flame surge or fireball trap?

Should I play with crit or without? I could start as shadow or templer, shadow has good criit nodes but templer increased aop/pen ... Both ways together ist difficult because I nee life, evasion nodes too...

And what are the best support gems for the suggested traps?

thx for helping :-)

You can check my shadow "WernerHedgehog", he's a prolif fire trapper with self-found/crafted gear (two quite common uniques, not required, but usefull). The build is by no means "top tier" but it does 76-78 maps quite comfortably.

In general, trapper won't be as safe as flame totemist, it also, hopefully, won't be as boring. Going crit is fine, and since you are immune to reflect there's little reason not to. You also should consider having two main trap skills (I use fire trap and flame surge trap), cause you will occasionally run out of ammunition.

Considering supports, "trap and mine damage" and "element penetration" are always useful, everything else is debatable. Keep in mind that traps get very mana hungry (120+ a pop easily). Also "multitrap" is a solid choice, but it makes it impossible to throw traps over cliffs, ledges and small rocks, so I like having one skill with multi and one without.

Worth keeping in mind that you won't be able to leech, gain life/mana on hit or on kill, so plan around it.

Finally, use conversion trap, with your trap throwing speed it's even better than usual.
Thank you for replying me. First stupid question:

What do you mean with "I can check WernerHedgehog"? Where can I see your char? Oo

Hm, my plan as shocking with lightning trap, finishing with fire trap and for bosses the flame surge trap.

Is the offensive power enough or should I have some kind of slowing enemies like cold snap, because I need more traps untill the enemies are all death?

And in case of crit, which curse then? Crit curse or still -resi curse?

Click his account name (PaperRat) and then, in theory, click the Characters tab at the top, to the right of Achievements & Challenges. However, at some point GGG set all character tabs to private, so PaperRat will need to switch that from private to public before you can see his characters.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Yes, there is no character tab if I click on his acc name
Oops. My bad, thought unchecking the private profile box was enough. Should work now.
A while ago I had a lot of fun with Cold Snap Trap. Dunno how good it is now, since when I played it the newish trap nodes weren't there.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Lightning Trap + Multiple Traps + Chain is really fun for AOE damage. Bolts everywhere and the trap only takes 2 seconds to recharge (faster than every other trap type).
Thank you PaperRat it works now.

Hm, yes Cold Snap would be a interesting idea, but there is a cooldown on it I think.

I´ve tested a little bit, Poison Arrow isn´t as boring as I thought. Would be a idea too, but the spell/ele dam notes don´t work on it, so it´s more a build to play with poison arrow only.

Tested some other gems like arc, ball lightning, firestorm but I guess the best traps
are fire trap (surge for bosses), lightning trap, cold snap (but the fucking cooldown ...) and
poison arrow.
Actually Cold Snap traps are unaffected by cooldown :), just tested it.

Glacial Cascade + Multitrap also work wonders, since you can bypass the problem with scaling damage by investing in trap and spell damage nodes which would affect both the cold and the physical part. In fact I levelled my char before Awakening with GC and Pyre ring to convert cold to fire, dropped it later cause Pyre destroys corpses and stops proliferation.

Also tried frost nova trap, but it lacked in burst damage compared to GC and mana cost was ridiculously high.

Other skills that may work with traps are spark and shock nova, haven't tested them myself though, something to try in the future.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info