I have a question for shadow

Would a reave build or etheral knives build be better?
Those are 2 completely different skills, but EK is not endgame viable I think, but good for leveling.
Also it does not matter which class you start with in most cases.
"
krenderke wrote:
Those are 2 completely different skills, but EK is not endgame viable I think, but good for leveling.

1) EK is "end-game viable"
2) Reave requires much more investments to be "end-game viable" than EK

Sure, the numbers in Reave build threads are always like "500+K damage!! ZOMG!!!"
and new players usually fall on this "bait" (if you can call it that).
While EK is much more cheap and safe to play, it can also achieve "Wow, 195k EK!!".
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
"

Sure, the numbers in Reave build threads are always like "500+K damage!! ZOMG!!!"
While EK is much more cheap and safe to play, it can also achieve "Wow, 195k EK!!".

EK is "end-game viable" only if you spend 10 times more currency on it than any other build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYPIJfWAEOo
Look at this video, most builds can clear this map faster while they are half naked and have a 4link at best.
He kills Voll in 6-8 sec with atziri flask.

It is not a bad build, looks flashy and probably still cheaper than a reave, but is inefficient to have this much dps with 20-40 ex worth equipment.

Reave is expensive too, almost every guide was made with 350+ pdps/mirrored weapons, ofc you will have 500k dps with with any build you invest 500 exalts into it.
If the peak dps is 500k with reav and 200k with ek for the same investment then reave is "better".

Personally I think neither are good picks.
Last edited by krenderke on Nov 8, 2015, 2:34:18 PM
Alright cool. Well I am a beginner to this game (hence why my only character is level 11). If i'm new, i'm assuming EK would be better for me since its cheaper.
"
krenderke wrote:
"

EK is "end-game viable" only if you spend 10 times more currency on it than any other build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYPIJfWAEOo
Look at this video, most builds can clear this map faster while they are half naked and have a 4link at best.
He kills Voll in 6-8 sec with atziri flask.

It is not a bad build, looks flashy and probably still cheaper than a reave, but is inefficient to have this much dps with 20-40 ex worth equipment.

Reave is expensive too, almost every guide was made with 350+ pdps/mirrored weapons, ofc you will have 500k dps with with any build you invest 500 exalts into it.
If the peak dps is 500k with reav and 200k with ek for the same investment then reave is "better".

Personally I think neither are good picks.

You don't think neither are good picks? I was under the impression these were the best builds for shadow? What do you recommend?
If it is your first char, then probably you do not care much about lategame (and probably don't know what it is), just want to murder some stuff and have fun.
(Usually 15-20k dps is enough to finish the game, so nothing to worry about, in that range things are cheap)

And ethernal knives is good for leveling, and you will probably be able to reach level 70+ in garbage gear too.

Why is it more reliable than reave for you? Reave is a melee skill which means you have to sit in the middle of the action, later on a lot bosses are really hard to kill as a melee.

I have to get some sleep now, so I just redirect you to this guy's thread.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1457563
He will probably be able to help you with any question you have.
In my opinion, players who are completely new to the game should not concern themselves with what is "best." For leveling to end-game maps, pretty much all logical builds can make it to level 80 at the least. There are different kinds of "best" - builds with "most damage possible in the game," "best atziri farmer," or "finds the greatest number of Rare and Unique items" are all best in their respective fields, but these are usually not the same builds.

If you are obsessed with efficiency, i.e. you want to pursue the #1 player spot in the shortest amount of time, I would recommend you abandon Shadow and begin with a Flame Totem build with Marauder, Templar, or possibly Witch. Flame Totem, I hear, is safe and deals good damage without needing expensive gear, which will allow you to stack magic find bonuses and farm up currency for a stronger build as fast as possible.

If you're just trying to get a leg up - I recommend you choose whatever class and skill gem(s) you like the best. Just keep in mind that your resources are limited, so specialize and synergize.

Examples of specialize and synergize:
  • don't get Fire Penetration on a Lightning Spell
  • don't build both Spell and Attack bonuses in general (some exceptions apply, but for new players it is a good tip I think) - Spells and Attacks are mutually exclusive. Attacks use your Weapons; Spells do not.
  • do use Hypothermia (more damage vs chilled targets) when you deal a lot of Cold Damage
  • do use Power Charge on Critical (power charges increase crit chance) when you are getting a lot of Critical bonuses
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Nov 8, 2015, 6:54:41 PM
"
SparklingSoap wrote:
Would a reave build or etheral knives build be better?

I'd say try both thru cruel and see which you like. I've done both and leveled my ek shadow farther mainly because it was more fun. Hope that helps.
I want cut scenes damnit.

How can you not like steak?
"
krenderke wrote:

Ghudda would disagree, since he started in the Flashback with EK, played EK to endgame, and cleared endgame maps with EK. Granted, his build was more than just one skill, but it's still a solid skill with powerful scaling options that Ghudda's build took full advantage of.

EK and Reave are both good skills. If you're looking to play a Melee Shadow, then Reave is likely the best skill for your build. If you're looking to play a Caster Shadow, then EK is the best spell that some other new class doesn't use better (except Scion, but Scion isn't a new-player-friendly class).

In my personal opinion, I think Reave would be a slightly easier skill for a new player. All you need for, specifically, a Crit Dagger Reave build to be functional is a decent, fairly logical skill tree, and a reasonably-priced Unique weapon called Bino's Kitchen Knife. Most of the rest of your gear will be defensively-oriented, probably scaling either some combination of Life, Energy Shield, and Evasion, or Life, Evasion, and either Block or Dodge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info