[Build in Progress] [HC] Heartbound Loop CWDT

Hi,

I was thinking and tinkering around a while for building a Heartbound Loop char, that is HC viable.

So the core of this build revolved around these uniques:

with Necromantic Aegis. We have seen StrangeCloud's build of the week, which utilizes heartbound loop and deals damage with spells through CWDT. So I asked myself, if it is possible to build such a loop, so that it is HC viable. The problem with StrangeCloud's build is, that you receive so much damage, on HC surviving is really hard.

Theory
Spoiler

This leaves the question: "Is it possible to completely mitigate the damage from Heartbound Lopp?"

The answer is: "yes!". With immortal call, this is very easy, but also useless, since you don't get any damage and therefore don't proc any cast when damage taken (cwdt). Well, it is not completely useless, since the "damage", which is reduced to 0 in this case, still counts as a hit. So you can proc Vaal Molten Shell or Vengeance. But this includes Immortal Call and a Vaal Skill, both things you cannot sustain really good. So let's put this away.

The next question is: "Can we completely outheal the damage from the heartbound loop?"

The answer is again yes. It is possible with Maligaro's Lens. Through Necromantic Aegis, your dieing minions will heal you. A minion running out of duration counts as a death, the same applies for a minion replaced by a fresh one. So how hard is it to outheal the damage? Well, not as hard as you might think after the first calculations. These give you 2% heal of minion hp. You get 350 damage by the loop, which means you need 17500 HP on a minion, which is very much. But if you have damage reduction from armor, charges etc., you need less, of course. With 80% damage reduction, only 3500 HP on a minion are necessary. This is an amount you can definitely achieve. With Golems absolutely not a problem, but a cooldown of 6s destroys this approach. Guardians, Spectres, Animate Weapons and bow-based minions, are also not an option. This leaves Skeletons, Zombies and Raging Spirits. In fact it is possible for all of these to achieve a zero sum game. It depends on your damage reduction, increased minion life and very crucially the level of the said minion. Ok, this sounds really cool, all we need to do is set up an infinite loop of such a minion, every time it dies, we gain health.

Which brings us to the next question: "Can we sustain an infinite loop of dying and freshly cast minions?"
Well, now it really gets complicated. The thing is, you need to get damage, so that Cast When Damage Taken can trigger. For level 1 this is only around 500, but even without damage reduction, we only get 350 damage per death, with reduction, we end up with even less. Ok Skeletons give us 2 death per cast, so without reduction the 700 damage would be sufficient. But this is level 1 cwdt, skeletons can then be only lvl 38, which means they will never outheal the damage from the ring. So at this point, it seems like there is no way to circumvent these conditions, which point to StrangeCloud's solution, just going with massive ES and regeneration. But there is one more trick: You can link the same spell multiple times to cwdt. You can never trigger the same spell multiple times in the same frame but in different frames this is possible. Furthermore you don't lose the damage count, if another one triggers. Let me give you an example: You have 3 Summon Skeleton spells linked to lvl 1 cwdt. Every dead Skeleton gives you 200 damage and heals you for 100. You lose the first 2 Skeletons, end up getting net 200 damage, the counter goes up by 400. You lose the next 2 Skeletons, net 200 damage, counter goes up by 400, so exceeds 528, now all 3 skeletons can trigger. In fact only 1 triggers, leaving the other 2 with their damage counter up, so now 1 triggers, replacing 2 other skeletons because of the minion cap. This again triggers one of the other yet untriggered cwdt skeletons and these deal you damage and trigger the third and so on. Once the damage counter is full and a spell could not be triggered because the same spell was already triggered, any tiny bit of damage at a later point, will trigger it. That's pretty cool. Sounds like an infinite loop will be freaking out, once you start it, either killing you, if your net life gain is negative or infinitely heal you otherwise. But this is not case. In path of exile, each frame has only 1 "phase" of triggering. This means everything will be calculated and then all triggers are evaluated, then these triggers are applied but cannot be the cause of any new triggered things. Furthermore only 1 instance of each spell can be cast and Skeletons or anything else will be spawned in the very same frame. Therefore a skeleton spawned by cwdt will remove older skeletons because of minion cap, this will also deal damage to you through loop, but this damage cannot trigger any other cwdt, since it is in the same frame. Therefore you need some kind of delay. In StrangeCloud's build you can see this achieved by army of bones, reducing the duration of skeletons to a value as close to 0.25s as possible. This is the internal cooldown of cwdt, shorter makes no sense, since then you are again not able to trigger a certain spell. Also you can go with Raging Spirits and less duration, which stays above 1.5s always. So to answer the initial question: "Yes it is possible to sustain an infinite loop, but having a short cycle period puts new boundary conditions up.

From these learnings we come to a final question: "Can we sustain an infinite loop and heal ourselves with it?"
Finding a solution to this problem is rather complicated. I started off using excel for calculations, which is a great tool if you want to solve problems, being described by 2 free variables at max (2 dimensional problem). Unfortunately the level of cwdt, the damage reduction, the increased minion life and the number of skills associated with cwdt are all free variables to this problem. There are some other parameters, which even increase the dimensionality of the problem, so that I had to leave excel aside and use a real programming language to find solutions. What I learned is, that damage taken goes to mana, together with Mind Over Matter, is a great improvement, because this is essentially a heal. You get the damage, it counts towards your damage counter, but it is instantly healed on the mana side by dtgtm.
However, the dimensionality of the problem can be reduced by some other findings. For example the best ratio between Skeleton's life and damage necessary to proc is for lvl 12 CWDT (skeletons are lvl 60 then). If we use 13 Summon Skeleton spells on CWDTs and have 30% damage taken goes to mana, we end up with this plot:

x-axis: damage reduction, y-axis: increased minion life, red indicates that either the setup is not self-sustained (sub-critical) or net life gain is negative, so the yellow spots indicate where a setup would be running.

So with this configuration, the minimum requirements are 82% damage reduction and 110% increased minion life. I was able to achieve such values and when I started to test it, I realized the above statement, that you need some kind of delay. Unfortunately if I use army of bones, it is no longer possible for me to get past 100% increased minion life. Also my build was mainly designed to get above 80% damage reduction, which means I have picked up all endurance charge boni etc. in the marauder area. Maybe a new design with many minion life boni can get these values even with army of bones.

Another fix to this problem is using this item:

It allows us to have lvl 1 cwdt zombies (they will be lvl 38 then) with so much life, they can heal us and self-sustain. But for Zombies, there is no delay possible, so you always have to cast a Skeleton or Raging Spirit to trigger a Zombie. Of course you can also cast a Zombie to trigger another Zombie (this works since the self-cast is before the "trigger phase" of a frame). Furthermore you need to provide corpsed, for example via lvl 1 cwdt desecrate, but this takes about 1.66s for each corpse. So a fast cycle is not possible.

TL;DR
Spoiler

I ended up with a build that could trigger molten shell pretty fast, be very tanky but the killspeed is too slow.

Battlefront with this setup

So if someone has some more ideas for this core build with maligaro's, it would be pretty nice. Also if someone wants to build a champion, who focuses on minion life increase, while sustaining army of bones, also post here and I'd be happy to support you.

Skeleton loop with net life gain

Another core build for heartbound loop is as follows:

So the main idea is that heartbound loop again gives you damage, triggers new skeletons and some other spells. These other spells hit enemies, therefore give you power charges through Romira's. Also some of the other spells should be Discharge, which turns power charges into endurance charges, which are also consumed by Discharge and then finally healing you through Kingsguard. With this setup it is not a big problem to heal more than you lose. Currently the most promising way is using Incinerate, as a very fast spell to create power charges and having many Discharges linked to high level cwdt (currently lvl 60). Here is a vid with these underleveled Discharges, clearing tropical island:

Tropical Island clearing

Killspeed is good, very much fun to play. The only thing I really dislike is that you need Voll's Devotion in order to make it work. Furthermore I'm pretty sure that it will completely freak out with Scold's Bridle, since this will trigger the loop steadily, increase the spell damage and makes you less dependant on external hits. But this item is not affordable for me. Also I need more max power charges, this build is currently in transformation from the above one, but it looks like it has potential.

Gear
Spoiler

Skill Tree
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAvryQEYLkSsiKrzboWK-pbsAaeA218m6qFKlWLRLhouqE72EhGlUFLXTt2sHTby5TpBm2LCXfG_oB55_LpzDSIZ7NggfyQWhl85tXDZHOdqzPfuoYu-3z3fjrWfOsqnKp9zKfPi3SkFUaOCcvOtiCm-w473yf35o7wGY8BaIABLOFfWu3KU9o8vAfhTLr7jLRRUePGhzcZlSFe287e8OboY9GpwjYvTWSRmnyL2o7ah4=

Jewels are army of bones, 20%, 20%, 20%, 19%, 19% and one with res.
http://www.roadatlas.eu
Last edited by prawda on Nov 7, 2015, 6:56:11 PM
Last bumped on Apr 20, 2017, 8:32:41 AM
updated with videos
For science, I thank you. :)
IGN: Dweeblebum
I am running the combo of heartbound and lens with skeltons on cwdt and less duration, if you'd like to look at my character Spawn_When_Damage_taken i am currently using a tabula with cwdt and 5 srs at 20% lvl 10 also adding a few more fun tricks are EE with arc also on another cwdt and flammability so even though my srs are lvl 10 they clear merc just fine. i also self cast srs which starts everythign but i can afk in my h/o with skeletons triggering themselves and srs. it has a future and is very fun.

Last edited by Buology on Nov 7, 2015, 8:49:21 PM
Thanks for the vid mate!

I have seen your other 2 also and this is really funny, since I have thought of another way to build this stuff here, but abandoned it soon after, because it is very far from being affordable (for me).

Gluttony of Elements is already there, you have increased the duration as max as possible, nice. Now imagine you wore Lightning Coil and pop a Taste of Hate. In this case you end up being immune to all but chaos damage (sounds like CI is a good option, what does "heal" from Gluttony mean? Recover, regenerate, gain life?). Furthermore, if you take damage due to Heartbound Loop, this still counts as real damage (in contrast to Immortal Call). So it is possible to take enormous amounts of virtual damage, in fact 20% of it heal you, but still 40% count towards CWDT.

edit:
I cannot see your characters, it says your profile is private.
Last edited by prawda on Nov 9, 2015, 4:24:19 AM
Oh, odd. I do not remember making it private, it should not be. But if you are suggesting the loop +gluttony + rf, i like it. i wlll tinker around and see if i can apply it. my only issue with immortal call with loop is that i think it might interrupt the self sustain. I suggest that one of my sets of skeletons may die while IC is active. I tried 7 arcs on cwdt life leech and mana leech but it does so little to no damage i have to respec towards the srs so that cost me... but had to try

Edit: You can now view my character tabs don't mind my spawn_when_damage_taken skill tree atm, respecing from arc failure
Last edited by Buology on Nov 9, 2015, 10:41:22 AM
Yes, Immortal Call stops all loop mechanics except Vengeance. As I already pointed out in the theory part, you still get hit, but with 0 damage, so you can trigger Vengeance, which can Cast on Crit for example, but even with 3 times Vengeance you only have 66% chance to hit, so even with 95% crit chance and maxed CoC you end up with 43% chance to cast something again. So for this mechanic, you need at least 5 Vengeance gems socketed and 95% crit chance to get over 50% chance to cast something again. If this is Skeleton and Raging spirit, well then you can have an infinite loop, assuming you constantly hit something. Plus your have 5 setups of Vengeance - CoC - Summon Skeleton - SRS, so this way is really shitty.

But the Gluttony of Heartbound Loop is completely different and has nothing to do with Immortal Call, even more should not be used with it. The really interesting question here is, if you can transfer the heal to energy shield. If so you can become immortal to chaos damage as well.

But the really cool thing is, that Heartbound Loop + CWDT works perfect. The only drawback is, that you cannot have Army of Bones (for a fast Skeleton clock), since you need the Atziri's jewels. So you have to do it with Raging Spirits, which are really long lived, since you have increased skill duration as much as possible. The duration of your skeleton/spirit clock determines how long it takes for a critical setup (more than 1 new spirit per spirit) to reach maximum number of spawns, which is 1 spawn per 250 ms. You can do this with skeletons and spirits (only 1 needs to be delayed, spirit in this case). So you have 2+1 minions dying per 250 ms. This is 350*3 raw damage. If you apply shock with Maligaro's Restraint, and maybe also have negative resistances, assume -100% (for lightning not really a problem with this armor), you end up with 1575 physical damage, where 30% are turned to lightning damage, yields 472, becomes 944 because of negative resistance. Physical damage is 1102, this means you need physical damage reduction around 15% in order to outheal the damage.

In my last post, I have not thought about the effect of negative resistance. But this makes it possible to get into positive balance, even without Taste of Hate. This is really awesome. One needs to know, what the lower cap for resistance is. Is it 100%? Is there none? Is it the -60% from merciless?

To continue the story: You end up getting about 900 damage, every 250 ms. This means even a maxed out CWDT will trigger once every second. If some monsters hit you, well then it will trigger more often. So you can use Romira's Banquet, Ice Nova, Arc and some other skills that hit instantly. Also Discharge into CWDT, and you are constantly casting fully charged Discs, well damage should be pretty decent. Other items might be Doedre's Tenure and the like, but of course it is necessary to have a setup, which allows to get some initial kills for start of Gluttony of Invincibility. Maybe therefore it is a good idea to have 2 Aurumvorax in the 2nd weapon slot, so you don't get instagibbed on elemental damage before you activate the combon.

So in order to determine, how this combo should be build optimally, these are the open questions so far:
1) Gluttony of Elements with Zealot's Oath? Does it work for ES?
2) Negative resistance lower cap?

There is a worst case scenario, where it does not work with ES and the lower resistance cap is -60%. In this case, there is no way around a Taste of Hate.
i am 99% certain that gluttony _ rf+ zealots will heal your es. I know lens heals es i had a friend using zealots stand with me during my loop to see if it could sustain his rf by lens alone.
also once blasphemy come out may change the distribution of many curses for all builds, not including other new gems or gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info