Best gaming desktop i can get or build for $1500 or less?

Right now I have parts picked out on Newegg and Microcenter's website but if there's a cheaper way to get the same or better, I would love to know (even if there's a pre-built desktop with the kind of setup I want).

The items I have selected so far are:

I want to avoid compromising having decent dual graphics cards and 32GB of RAM.

Also, I know I don't have an OS picked out yet but I think I still have Windows 7 that I can install on another PC.

Thanks for any help in picking out parts!
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Anyone got anything that's actually constructive and not off-topic in the context of the thread to post?

Still hoping for some guidance on the OP.
Last edited by FriendlyGamerGuy on Nov 1, 2015, 5:24:14 AM
Any particular reason that you need 32 gig of ram?

OS...which ever one you choose make sure it's a 64 bit version.

Pre built PC's are usually more expensive though

Parts wise though it's really just a case of shopping around and maybe trimming down on what you want compared to what you need.

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Oct 31, 2015, 7:42:07 PM
"
Anyone got anything that's actually constructive and not off-topic to post?

Still hoping for some guidance on the OP.

Your parts list looks fine.

You may know this already but I believe that MB only supports dual channel RAM so you'd lose a little performance there even though those particular sticks can run in a dual or quad configuration. Frankly, 32 gigabytes is overkill anyway.

My personal suggestion would be to spend a little more on your case. That comp will probably run a little on the warm side especially with the graphics cards running on that silent setting they have. Grab a larger, sturdier case with a 240 exhaust and it would be a good idea to reseat your fans in a push/pull setup. If you stick with the smaller case it's going to be a squeeze.

On most of the builds I do for clients, I'll use an Obsidian series case from Corsair. Especially useful if you decide to run the CPU on liquid. They have a lot of headroom.
Nachos? Yes.
Last edited by Rowen_Edge on Nov 1, 2015, 5:21:00 AM
"
Rowen_Edge wrote:

You may know this already but I believe that MB only supports dual channel RAM so you'd lose a little performance there even though those particular sticks can run in a dual or quad configuration. Frankly, 32 gigabytes is overkill anyway.

My personal suggestion would be to spend a little more on your case. That comp will probably run a little on the warm side especially with the graphics cards running on that silent setting they have. Grab a larger, sturdier case with a 240 exhaust and it would be a good idea to reseat your fans in a push/pull setup. If you stick with the smaller case it's going to be a squeeze.

On most of the builds I do for clients, I'll use an Obsidian series case from Corsair. Especially useful if you decide to run the CPU on liquid. They have a lot of headroom.

Thanks for the advice, and I did not realize that about the motherboard.

I'm actually hoping to find the parts I need but even cheaper than I'm looking at now, my budget is barely at $1500 so I'm hoping to keep the total after all is done as low as possible.
Check out cyberpowerpc.com. I'd make a comparable build on their website so you can get an idea of cost. I was surprised they had a 32g memory option. Not sure if they had a dual 970 but I saw dual 960 option. Plus you can also get a custom engraving on your case. Since it's Xmas time (post Halloween season) they have sales galore.

Full disclosure I bought one of theirs back in '04. Since then I've only dreamed of the pc's I would've bought from them.

Good luck with the build!
I want cut scenes damnit.

How can you not like steak?
lol here that build cost like u$s4200
my english sux.
"
"
Rowen_Edge wrote:

Thanks for the advice, and I did not realize that about the motherboard.

I'm actually hoping to find the parts I need but even cheaper than I'm looking at now, my budget is barely at $1500 so I'm hoping to keep the total after all is done as low as possible.

I get that, I do. If you're adamant on having to have the mass amount of RAM and the twin cards you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere to stay on budget.

I must say I'm curious what exactly you're playing that you feel you need SLI'd 970's for anyway?
Nachos? Yes.
"
Rowen_Edge wrote:

I get that, I do. If you're adamant on having to have the mass amount of RAM and the twin cards you're going to have to sacrifice somewhere to stay on budget.

I must say I'm curious what exactly you're playing that you feel you need SLI'd 970's for anyway?

Partly for gaming, partly for game development. I wanna be prepared lol.
Ok I suppose this is a gaming pc so my feedback: You should use a K-processor instead of a normal one because the K ones are very overclockable. Since i7 isn't really necessary for gaming I'd go with a i5-4690K, you can easily overclock that baby to 4 GhZ and even more with a better cooler.

As for the graphics cards, the GTX 970 is very limited in its VRAM (3,5 GB real VRAM) and VRAM doesn't add up with SLI so you're stuck with 3,5 GB which is already too little for some games and for some resolutions. This might change with DX 12, there are rumors that with DX 12 VRAM in SLI indeed does stack but it will take another year until there are a couple of DX 12 games out there. Also for almost the same money as two GTX 970 you can get a GTX 980Ti which has 6 GB of VRAM, is almost as fast as two GTX 970, produces less heat and you will have no issues because of SLI profiles, micro stuttering and so on.

Also you really don't need 32 GB of RAM, 16 are enough.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info