Is this the end of POE?

"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:
I play in leagues. You are playing on a server where 2% of the population plays at its height, and I don't doubt it is going down. Then you add in a trough period and voila you have 100 people playing.

The almighty steam charts that people use to proclaim the game is dead, have more people playing than this time last year. It's not just an observation. It's fact.

So we can use steamcharts data when it suits our ends but rag on it when it doesn't? Got it.

Apply cold water on burned area.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Yep :(
"Sorry for my bad English"
We can use PoE Steam charts as base for daily playing stats and then double or triple it to get closer to real daily player count. But anyway you want to view it PoE is down on daily playing. Why? Mainly because GGG lost it's focus on what most consider arpg fun and instead has doubled down on XP grind to 100, over-powered act 4 bosses (even patches to tune them down isn't good yet) and mobs (thankfully that was tuned down), staying with extreme grind for little rewards as the elites always want, bad decision by GGG to make divi-cards drop rates too low (the 4x increased drop rate patch does help some), the continued lack of high level map drops, no way to amass enough crafting orbs (unless you view 1000s of hours grinding as fun) to actually do any serious crafting, no Public Stash async trade function, etc, etc. You name it and GGG has a huge mess of an arpg on their hands right now and they know it but still has to pretend that everything is mostly good (so the remaining players don't flee the sinking PoE ship). The only way GGG can salvage PoE and get back players is to code their way out but that takes time and being a tiny indie game company with a very tiny programming staff means even more time to develop and roll out new content compared to the other arpg powerhouses.

I personally don't see PoE dieing the way Titans Quest did after the release of Titans Quest: Immortal Throne but the PoE ship appears to be in very turbulent waters right now. I think GGG is small enough and savvy enough to weather the storm and get the PoE ship back on course.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 29, 2015, 12:34:17 AM
"
I am not surprised at all that this deteriorated into a steam-chart measuring contest lol

Great job guys

Ok then, do you have any better (more accurate way) of knowing what the daily player numbers are? You won't ever get this kind of info from GGG.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

"
"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
I am not surprised at all that this deteriorated into a steam-chart measuring contest lol

Great job guys

Ok then, do you have any better (more accurate way) of knowing what the daily player numbers are? You won't ever get this kind of info from GGG.

Going door-to-door and asking if anyone inside is playing Path of Exile seems efficient

Let's get started

By all means do give us dry carcasm instead of useful statistics. Or maybe we should all take our cue from Monty Python and all pretend that "it's not happening!" as the PoE ship sinks (or is it Wraeclast that's sinking?). Either way it's not good.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 29, 2015, 12:49:25 AM
"
No, it's not. There are some pretty crazy things coming. And these things will almost certainly keep some people playing. Bring others back. Force others to leave. All three are events evident of something that has not in actuality ended.

But I think you're being rhetorical, robertredberry, and going by past threads you've instigated and past attitudes I've observed, I do believe it's the end of *your time* with PoE.

I strongly recommend not confusing the end of something with the end of your participation in it. Strongly.

Wowowow HYPE

Another cool awesome temp league for the perm leaguers to enjoy?

Another 12,934 trash uniques?

Another 23 nerfs of OPOP builds such as anything-crit and low life?

Another 2 super duper high level super hard challenging maps with .000000000001 drop rate for end game?

Another 30 super exciting gems with multi rainbow colors and special effects that tickle monsters?

Another super hard Uber boss that only certain non-cheesy, unused and expensive skills like PA and discharge can do?

CAN'T WAIT
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
^ someone is mad, heh heh heh. :D

STEAM CHARTS! How we missed Steam Charts! Bring them in, boys! Lets see what they've got this time!
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Barivius wrote:
I play in leagues. You are playing on a server where 2% of the population plays at its height, and I don't doubt it is going down. Then you add in a trough period and voila you have 100 people playing.

The almighty steam charts that people use to proclaim the game is dead, have more people playing than this time last year. It's not just an observation. It's fact.

I think I provided a specific and factual piece of information which you chose to discard because you don't play in the same server. Normal HC currently is barely functioning and is in much worse shape than I have ever seen it. The difference is qualitative. So, for the time being, the only server I would choose to play in, if I play at all, is in deep coma.

Is the game dying for you in SC? Perhaps not. It is dying for me, at that time, in the server I play. I've no doubt things will pick up with the next 3-month leagues, but it is highly concerning. Not to mention that the 2% statistic applies to periods when there are active temp leagues and most HC players are in the temp league. Right now there is no such thing.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 29, 2015, 9:43:17 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Oh, thanks for introducing me to the new and wonderful concept of power creep, that was an eye-opener.

No, what I wrote has nothing to do with power creep.

It is. You are basically describing power creep. It is a phenomenon where elements introduce to a game overtime grow in power. It cause the gradual unbalancing of a game due to successive releases of new content, it happen everywhere in the game. You don't go back to normal after completing it, but we don't usually label it as such. It make older content obsolete. It can be fine, if you have more content to move to.

Except when you don't, which happen when developers add new content at end game which what most people used to describe power creep. It cause something called abandonment, it make your old items and skills, old content obsolete. When you can't move seamlessly into the new content or make old content useful and viable, it make people upset.
Last edited by deathflower on Oct 29, 2015, 4:51:32 AM
This is what I wrote:

Spoiler
"
"
Bars wrote:

The Awakening was a major change in the player vs. game power balance. Player power went down, game difficulty went up.

List of player power nerfs:
Spoiler

- Mjolner and Windripper nerfed, thus continuing the tendency for uniques in this game to be either useless or underwhelming
- the leech fiasco - I mean, who thought having stuff like '0,2% damage leeched' would be a good idea?! Even from a purely psychological standpoint?
- bloodrage reworked - a buff for life-based builds and a kick in the nuts for ES builds
- the inexplicable reduced mana change - this horse has been beaten to death, no need to continue
- Ondars eviscerated
- CwdT nerfed to not work with totems and warcries
- Immortal Call nerf: it was necessary but I have to include it in the list
- shotgun removed, essentially making most projectile spells trash
- frenzy charges buffed but made more inaccessible, trashing flickerstrike in the process (ironically, flickerstrike received a camera fix at last - too bad no one uses it anymore)
- MoM / EB made weaker and more difficult to use, Cloak of Defiance made invisible
- CI and lowlife turned into ineffective and expensive niche builds
- some people say melee was buffed, but that's not exactly true: life-based, tanky, armoured melee went much higher up the power scale, but the global increase of monster damage turned evasion and ES-based melee into a niche softcore build for people with a lot of money who don't mind dying occasionally
- map drops decreased significantly, forcing players to play more dangerous map mods and further pigeonholing player
- elemental proliferation heavily nerfed, flameblast turned from cookie cutter to niche, traps.. what traps?
- global monster damage increase, turning evasion into Russian Roulette, ES/CI into giants with clay feet and making huge amounts of flat physical reduction a must (hello, Lightning Coil and armour builds)
- Lightning Coil and other good uniques made much rarer (the irony)

As a result, GGG destroyed what was PoE's main selling point: diversity and theorycrafting possibilities. PoE has always had a few superior builds, but pre-2.0 it was different. There was a wider selection of top-end builds, and there were a lot of subpar but still completely functional builds for the non-powergamers. The Awakening changed the picture completely. It created a much narrower set of top-end builds which can deal with the ramped up challenge, there are some fringe builds which can somehow deal with it, most of them only softcore viable, and that's it. I love theorycrafting and build testing, I thought about dozens of builds, tried 6-7 in Warbands and Tempest and in the end nothing came even close to incinerate builds, which I used, and a few other tier 1 skills I didn't want to use. (author's note: I have many deleted and fully respecced characters and I regularly give my gear away, my character sheet is not indicative of everything I've tried). What's more, they pigeonholed us not only in a few skills, but also in a few items.

Combined with the map changes which turned high-end maps into a luxury and forced most players to grind maps way below their character's capabilities, a decline in players was bound to happen. What's more, it was obvious to me and many other players and we wrote at great length about that as early as closed beta. This is perhaps what bothers me the most: are really GGG's balance team so blind to what should be obvious? Even if they didn't see it, how could they still fail to acknowledge it when it was repeated time and again in feedback by hundreds of players? I used to write in the feedback sections, but at some point it just felt meaningless, so I stopped.

TLDR: The Awakening made players weaker and monsters stronger and destroyed PoE's main strength, build versatility. Also, I'm mad that GGG ignores good, solid feedback or listens to it too late.

This has nothing to do with the released new content. GGG regularly releases overtuned new content and then adjusts it, it's nothing new and I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the sweeping changes of existing skills and items, the global buff to monster power and the various map drop nerfs: the changes to existing content. The new stuff they releazed with act 4 was jut a drop in the ocean. I apologize if my point wasn't conveyed clearly enough - I tried.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 29, 2015, 5:15:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info