RPG categories, and which do you prefer?

Every one of them. I just love rpg. Sometimes i prefer one style, sometimes another.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
Poutsos wrote:
In my mind, RPGs can be divided in to 4 categories, depending on the combat/gameplay, and to 3 more categories, depending on what the main focus of the game is outside of combat.

So my quetion is which of these styles of RPG do prefer the most? Do you object in the categorisation?

Which movies do you prefer, those in which the hero wears red or blue?

I do dislike your categorization. imo games are all about the options available to the player and the dynamics which force us to put in at least a little thought:
Does the player have a diverse set of actions available at any moment in time?
Can you accomplish each objective in different ways?
Is there a wide range of potential viable character builds?
Is everything so despicably balanced that your choices are rendered trivial?
Is one option so ridiculously OP in every circumstance that youd be a fool to choose anything else?
Do you need to change tactics often?

These are the 'right' questions (imo) to ask when evaluating a game for mature audiences.
Kid games just need bright colors and button mashing, no real science there. Unfortunately most every game on the market seems to cater to the kids:( (including poe)

Confused. Your criteria is what would make a good RPG. It says has nothing to do with categorizing the games depending on their gameplay or main focus. Some people might not have preferences in gameplay as long as it is a "good" RPG, that's true. But some people do. Eg. i did like PoE, but i vastly prefer either third person gameplay, or team based isometric, for different reasons.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
JRPG's are a category on their own in my opinion.
IGN : @Morgoth
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:

That's a tricky statement. Some companies like Atlus just blur the the line. Also, many JRPGs are just descendants from Ultima and Wizardry, archetypical WRPGs.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:

That's a tricky statement. Some companies like Atlus just blur the the line. Also, many JRPGs are just descendants from Ultima and Wizardry, archetypical WRPGs.

Once upon a time us old bastards only had jrpgs to pick from if we wanted to play, well, rpgs. There were a few western ones but for the most part they were trash. Times have changed though, I cant play jrpgs anymore, seems most of em triple downed on the "j".

Cyberpunk 2077 or bust.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I feel the same, but I still play Atlus RPGs. SMT IV is like the japanese answer to Fallout.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
My favorite RPGs:

Gothic 2, Path of Exile, Vampire Bloodlines, Demon's Souls, Planescape Torment, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol (I guess this one doesn't really count as RPG), Kotor 1 and 2, Persona 3 and 4.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
My favorite RPGs:

Gothic 2, Path of Exile, Vampire Bloodlines, Demon's Souls, Planescape Torment, Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol (I guess this one doesn't really count as RPG), Kotor 1 and 2, Persona 3 and 4.

Very telling of your age. You missed some classics in the 90s but the aughts games you mentioned are all class

E: except Alpha P...how on earth did you enjoy that?! Also, not an RPG.
Last edited by TheWretch on Oct 23, 2015, 11:33:48 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
My favorite RPGs:

Very telling of your age. You missed some classics in the 90s but the aughts games you mentioned are all class

E: except Alpha P...how on earth did you enjoy that?! Also, not an RPG.

Alpha Protocol is pretty ebin, the dialogues and relationships to the characters around you are very nuanced and affect the whole game with real consequences. Also there's a decent amount of character customization for a stealth-action game. That's why I'd say it kinda is an RPG, especially because people would argue that Mass Effect definitely is one and Alpha Protocol is a better Mass Effect to me :P Also I forgot Witcher and NWN in my earlier post... sorry Geralt.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I wanted to like Alpha P but it felt so busted :/ There's rpg elements for sure but ya, you called it on "stealth action" that's how I saw it mostly

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info