New League?

"
goetzjam wrote:
"
BNegetive wrote:
"
y3lworC wrote:
So after the racing event ends on November 2 (I think) will we get another 3-4 months long league or it will be racing again(hope not)? What do you guys think?

I hope there will be 5-6 months and not shity 3month leagues..

GGG will never do a league that is more then 4 months i don't think. Hell this previous one was suppose to be 4 months long but activity quickly diminished I think so they decided 3 months would be the length instead.

Just curious on why you think a longer league is necessary, with the changes to unqiue items and divination cards its never been easier to get access to build enabling unqiues, why must the time be extended?

Also you all forgot to add plink to the list of mods for the new league, specifically plink on hidden monsters.

Because after a month you have typically seen everything a new league has to offer... good idea is to unlock new features every month to keep the interest in these leagues up WITHOUT (!) killing the competition for challenges like it was this league.

PS: We had a 3 month league experiment... doesn't matter how long/short a league is, if nothing is added to a later state, just minor improvements/fixes/nerfs, there will always be a drop of players after a month (or sooner).

PPS: Why it matters to have a lasting league? GGG has much more time to put efford in the current league and more time to plan their next steps... current state is: rushed league, fix, fix, fix... end of league... filler, rushed league, fix, fix, fix, ...
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.

Because after a month you have typically seen everything a new league has to offer... good idea is to unlock new features every month to keep the interest in these leagues up WITHOUT (!) killing the competition for challenges like it was this league.

PS: We had a 3 month league experiment... doesn't matter how long/short a league is, if nothing is added to a later state, just minor improvements/fixes/nerfs, there will always be a drop of players after a month (or sooner).

PPS: Why it matters to have a lasting league? GGG has much more time to put efford in the current league and more time to plan their next steps... current state is: rushed league, fix, fix, fix... end of league... filler, rushed league, fix, fix, fix, ...[/quote]

I dislike the idea of unlocking something new every month, that makes me feel like the intentionally left of features that players could be enjoying during that time. Come up with a new idea that won't make players feel like they are missing out or GGG held out on something.

We had 4 month leagues previously and people would stop playing a month before the end of the league, now that we have 3 month leagues people do the same. I think players like myself or people that have been around for a while don't care about playing a full duration league anymore, unless GGG adds additional endgame content that "requires" players to farm like atziri\uber atziri for challenges then people will level up, maybe to 100 and quit. At this point, even with the 2.0 changes people are getting burt out on PoE faster and faster, my last character that died was a flameblaster which was great clearspeed, especially with the support I played with, but lacked really any defensive options and had slight mana issues. I wish GGG didn't destroy traditional casters just because they were popular, now CoC, bow characters and cyclone all rule and the only legit spell that people use is incinerate and people for some reason want that destroyed.

Just increasing the duration of the league because it took a lot of "work" isn't good enough justification, it seems like these 1 month things will be much more common, despite the fact that they aren't that incredibly fun after doing 1-2 of them.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on Oct 13, 2015, 12:53:24 PM
Please quote correctly or don't do it at all -.-

"
goetzjam wrote:
I dislike the idea of unlocking something new every month, that makes me feel like the intentionally left of features that players could be enjoying during that time. Come up with a new idea that won't make players feel like they are missing out or GGG held out on something.

... sorry, but now it's your turn to come up with something.

'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart

Last edited by kcstar on Oct 13, 2015, 11:16:48 AM
"
kcstar wrote:
Please quote correctly or don't do it at all -.-

"
goetzjam wrote:

... sorry, but now it's your turn to come up with something.

How is it my turn to come up with something? I told you the issue I had with your suggestion, if I had a solution thought up that would solve the activity issue, why would I ask for you to come up with a new idea that won't make players feel they are missing something.

This isn't some sort of "argument" where I have to provide a better solution then your or I lose, this is simply me saying I have an issue with what you suggested and if you have another idea, that doesn't have the negative I mentioned I'd like to hear it. Don't take it personal.

Also idk what happened to that quote :/

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
How is it my turn to come up with something? I told you the issue I had with your suggestion, if I had a solution thought up that would solve the activity issue, why would I ask for you to come up with a new idea that won't make players feel they are missing something.

This isn't some sort of "argument" where I have to provide a better solution then your or I lose, this is simply me saying I have an issue with what you suggested and if you have another idea, that doesn't have the negative I mentioned I'd like to hear it. Don't take it personal.

Also idk what happened to that quote :/

I don't get it why expanding content over time is bad in the meaning of "give the feel you are missing something"... it has to be done in a good way, not the GGG way of gating stuff that is needed for the 8/8 challenge. Like the expansion with czones back then... they started with czones everywhere... but it COULD be like... act 1 is "infected" and this infection growth over time... first only sidezones spawn... later normal bosses become corrupted, they act differently and maybe drop league specific items... and this infection doesn't stop until wraeclast is completly corrupted over time, ending in an act4 (atm) bossfight that requires at least one league-specific item in order to be able to encounter this fight, maybe make it impossible to fight solo (the role piety has while the malachai fight could easily filled with another player)... just a random example of how you can make a league attractive over a long time.

This needs much more time than any temp league before and I don't think people burn out that quickly... let's be honest, a new league (ATM!) has nothing else to offer than the normal game + any mod that is recycled for the 100th time... at the moment you hit maps, you have seen 95%+ of the "new stuff". Now the only things that changes are bugfixes and nerfs to one-shot mechanics. < in the current state it doesn't matter how long the league lasts, as soon as you have seen everything it's up to you to be still motivated... players leave - junkies stay.

"
kcstar wrote:

I don't get it why expanding content over time is bad in the meaning of "give the feel you are missing something"... it has to be done in a good way, not the GGG way of gating stuff that is needed for the 8/8 challenge. Like the expansion with czones back then... they started with czones everywhere... but it COULD be like... act 1 is "infected" and this infection growth over time... first only sidezones spawn... later normal bosses become corrupted, they act differently and maybe drop league specific items... and this infection doesn't stop until wraeclast is completly corrupted over time, ending in an act4 (atm) bossfight that requires at least one league-specific item in order to be able to encounter this fight, maybe make it impossible to fight solo (the role piety has while the malachai fight could easily filled with another player)... just a random example of how you can make a league attractive over a long time.

This needs much more time than any temp league before and I don't think people burn out that quickly... let's be honest, a new league (ATM!) has nothing else to offer than the normal game + any mod that is recycled for the 100th time... at the moment you hit maps, you have seen 95%+ of the "new stuff". Now the only things that changes are bugfixes and nerfs to one-shot mechanics. < in the current state it doesn't matter how long the league lasts, as soon as you have seen everything it's up to you to be still motivated... players leave - junkies stay.

There are 2 ways at looking at this, at least from my perspective so far:

1. Part of the content is purposely not released to try to keep the league fresh for a longer duration.

2. The experience isn't complete for people that choose to play the league at any point, meaning those that start 2 weeks late might miss something or those that play hard at the start feel like they are missing or GGG is holding out on stuff just to keep them playing.

Essentially you are suggesting a DLC like content for the game, but instead of locking the content behind money its behind time.

Tempest actually had incentive to play throughout, warbands much less so IMO, but both actually were an improvement over previous leagues that kept something going on to where you wanted to play, without restricting it to artificial limits like the suggested dlc\time based one.

I don't think casual players are too excited either as if they don't have the time to play when these things are happening or changing they will feel they are missing out on something and it may push them further away. If anything what you are suggesting would push people further away then do what it is intended to do, which is to encourage participation.

The pace of the game is just faster, paired with the obviously limited amount of truly strong endgame options people are getting done quicker, fix those and allow players to have more build options and people will play multiple characters, don't fix those and people will "experience" the league and then quit shortly after.

FeelsBadMan

... except that so called "casual games" work exactly with stuff like that and it seems "casuals" like this concepts of short duration events.

"
goetzjam wrote:
The experience isn't complete for people that choose to play the league at any point

... like right now? Where mods are added and dropped on a daily basis!? Or last 3 month were stuff was added on a later date!?

"
goetzjam wrote:
meaning those that start 2 weeks late might miss something

... like right now? When everybody is already in maps and trading is going to be as in perma leagues!?

"
goetzjam wrote:
or those that play hard at the start feel like they are missing or GGG is holding out on stuff just to keep them playing.

... I am sorry for these few percent of players that think everything should be balanced around them because they are top of the world. But I think even they wish they had something to do after 2 weeks in the league except becoming 100 for the fifht time. Not all of course, but most...

"
goetzjam wrote:
Essentially you are suggesting a DLC like content for the game, but instead of locking the content behind money its behind time.

... locking content behind money!? Sry, what!? oO

"
goetzjam wrote:
Tempest actually had incentive to play throughout, warbands much less so IMO, but both actually were an improvement over previous leagues that kept something going on to where you wanted to play, without restricting it to artificial limits like the suggested dlc\time based one.

That needs explanation. How did they manage to make people stay!? I have never seen people drop faster than this league... but of course, that's just my point of view, maybe you can share some facts.

"
goetzjam wrote:
I don't think casual players are too excited either as if they don't have the time to play when these things are happening or changing they will feel they are missing out on something and it may push them further away. If anything what you are suggesting would push people further away then do what it is intended to do, which is to encourage participation.

That's just an assumption, right? Because most successful games offer exactly this. Timed events...

"
goetzjam wrote:
The pace of the game is just faster, paired with the obviously limited amount of truly strong endgame options people are getting done quicker, fix those and allow players to have more build options and people will play multiple characters, don't fix those and people will "experience" the league and then quit shortly after.

You like to grind the same stuff over and over, that's fine... just faster and faster than before. But I think variation and evolving content is something that a lot (not all!) players would appreciate, no matter if they are "casual" or... "your type of gamer" xD

"
Col_Jessep wrote:
"
Sundrino wrote:
there's another 1 month league after this one but it should be special ... whatever that means:)

Beyond, Fracture and player are cursed with temp chains.

I was just in that map... was a Zana daily, which I abandoned (temp chains wasn't a map mod, but the enemies were using it liberally)
They could do what they used to do and release new skills, monsters, uniques etc mid-league. They don't HAVE to keep everything for the post-league patches. Imagine if they released Domination/Nemesis in their current dev model. Those 4 months would have dragged by extremely slowly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info