Beyond. Punishing, annoying, slowing. (1M FB-Event)

First off, hai thar.
As most of you might now out of pretty old forum posts (or felt it themselves) Beyond was a pretty punishing mod, which always slowed people down -without reward, just to mention- spawnrates of beyond mobs are too high, seperating mobs takes long, no more speed clears of maps/zones.
To get to the point, a friend of mine and me wanted some fun when we started playing the FB event, but all we got are beyond mods, beyond mods and even more beyond mods after the "all mods but tempest" days.
There were a lot of complaints about how badly balanced this mod was -yes it got tweaked a little, but it's still way too much, especially for new players as my friend- and it still is not enjoyable in any way (for us).
And so I was just curious about it... How could you ignore the fact that the biggest part of the community still has problems, wants rewards or just a smaller spawnrate of the portals? In my soon 1,500 hours of PoE I never saw something more frustrating than that one damn annoying **** mod ripping all those HC chars and ruining all fun about clearspeed builds.

I myself never got to learn how to "counter" beyond monsters since I quit playing PoE right a week after Beyond came online, now, just 2 months after I started playing again I have to deal with it again just because I want to play the events? I don't think it's fair to the players if exactly THIS mod has one of the most apearences in the flashback and especially days 5-12, more than a damn week in a row, imo I could just stop playing again and play something more rewarding like... I don't know the list is too long, everything is more rewarding than dealing with red ****faces every 4-8 monsters you kill.

Excuse me for the long text and the hate but... that's how I see it and I honestly think it's just plain stupidity letting this mod run over a week in a row.

Have a nice day.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'm curious if anyone tested Daresso's Dream with the beyond mod before this event? Barkul's pitfight seems impossible; there's no way to separate the adds. I had to give up when I couldn't kill Barkul fast enough and the pit filled with twenty or so beyond demons plus Ephij Crackling Sky.
Now I have to wait for a day without the mod to continue. It feels completely broken and untested.
Beyond heavily punishes you if you don't have very strong AoE, or an extremely well built character.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Oct 11, 2015, 8:53:48 PM
Good it should be challenging for once.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Oct 11, 2015, 9:35:46 PM
I love fan boys they have really no idea how much they hurt a game and it shows.
"
Direki wrote:
I'm curious if anyone tested Daresso's Dream with the beyond mod before this event? Barkul's pitfight seems impossible; there's no way to separate the adds. I had to give up when I couldn't kill Barkul fast enough and the pit filled with twenty or so beyond demons plus Ephij Crackling Sky.
Now I have to wait for a day without the mod to continue. It feels completely broken and untested.

what difficulty ? merciless ? map variant of the area ?

seems like everyone has a problem with daresso dream but I cruised through normal/cruel with all mods on during this weekend. this is why incinerate (see other thread) is op. just melted all the beyond spawns, bosses and barkhul.

in general, I agree with op. leveling with beyond IS aids. unless you have an op build. if you have an op build you dont care, and its like maps where you just get a lot of extra XP and want to fight beyond
Last edited by grepman on Oct 12, 2015, 2:53:23 AM
"
First off, hai thar.
Beyond was a pretty punishing mod, which always slowed people down - without reward,

Stopped reading here. If you got good build they don't really slow you down and they drop good items.

"
extremely well built character.

You dont need extreeme build. I use cyclone with shield, I took ressist nodes in tree, All my dmg from gear is from weapon. I use blood magic keysone and 1 aura. And beyond isn't super hard for me.

But CHris already responded to players like you in dev manifesto. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1448424/page/1
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Oct 12, 2015, 3:56:39 AM
"
grepman wrote:

what difficulty ? merciless ?
seems like everyone has a problem with daresso dream but I cruised through normal/cruel with all mods on during this weekend. this is why incinerate (see other thread) is op. just melted all the beyond spawns, bosses and barkhul.
in general, I agree with op. leveling with beyond IS aids. unless you have an op build. if you have an op build you dont care, and its like maps where you just get a lot of extra XP and want to fight beyond

I'm still only on cruel. My evasion physical crit archer hasn't had any problem with the beyond demons being any more than just a bit tiring (I certainly wouldn't call it unrewarding), but part of my method has been kiting them. The trenches at the beginning of Daresso's Dream is the only place where kiting is problematic.

Beyond demons used to be my absolute favorite map mod, but this event has been like eating your favorite food for every meal for a whole week. I'm not sure when I'll be able to eat pizza again...
I never understood all the hate for beyond. I understand that beyond is dangerous for hardcore. I played beyond league when it came out (so hardcore) and I only ripped in stupid ways like getting my max block super tank killed instantly on a high level map by an ice nova box after desynching back into the box...

I mean really, at the time there were other way way more dangerous things than the Beyond spawns themselves. Even Abaxoth could be killed safely around a corner without him ever being able to hit you (fixed I believe).

Only newbies can say that beyond is not rewarding imo. It is VERY rewarding in terms of loot&xp. It increases leveling speed by a ton. It just sucks if you have a build that relies on summons (SRS excluded) because quiet some beyond spawns kill your minions really fast. It also sucks if you are a melee-glass cannon and a beyond boss spawns right on top of you. But in those cases you just chose the wrong build for the wrong league.
Beyond did (back then, now nerfed) favor max block and super-facetank builds that could only be killed by glitches, bugs and boxes (fixed) and it also favors ggg builds more than any other league I know.

Lastly, any good clearspeed build will kill any beyond spawn (abaxoth and 2 other bosses or so excluded) instantly with just AOE. Can even be done off-screen without ever seeing them. And non-beyond-spawns usually die in the same AOE I used to kill the original mobs that spawned the beyonds :D.
I try to get beyond on my map mods every time because it just adds so much extra loot&xp and it doesn't slow me down at all. Okay maybe 1-2 seconds to kill a tough beyond boss.

And lastly (not sure) but I feel that some beyond bosses & exiles have been greatly nerfed. I remember running zana maps and people where like yelling: "MAGNUS" or "IGNA" or "Bameth" and everyone made portals and got the hell out. Especially with extra damage map mods.

But my reason for quitting to play is the mapping system. I find endgame so badly designed no matter the league. Increasing map droprates still doesn't change anything for me.
Last edited by silverdash on Oct 12, 2015, 4:31:08 AM
"
silverdash wrote:
I never understood all the hate for beyond. I understand that beyond is dangerous for hardcore. I played beyond league when it came out (so hardcore) and I only ripped in stupid ways like getting my max block super tank killed instantly on a high level map by an ice nova box after desynching back into the box...

I mean really, at the time there were other way way more dangerous things than the Beyond spawns themselves. Even Abaxoth could be killed safely around a corner without him ever being able to hit you (fixed I believe).

Only newbies can say that beyond is not rewarding imo. It is VERY rewarding in terms of loot&xp. It increases leveling speed by a ton. It just sucks if you have a build that relies on summons (SRS excluded) because quiet some beyond spawns kill your minions really fast. It also sucks if you are a melee-glass cannon and a beyond boss spawns right on top of you. But in those cases you just chose the wrong build for the wrong league.
Beyond did (back then, now nerfed) favor max block and super-facetank builds that could only be killed by glitches, bugs and boxes (fixed) and it also favors ggg builds more than any other league I know.

Lastly, any good clearspeed build will kill any beyond spawn (abaxoth and 2 other bosses or so excluded) instantly with just AOE. Can even be done off-screen without ever seeing them. And non-beyond-spawns usually die in the same AOE I used to kill the original mobs that spawned the beyonds :D.
I try to get beyond on my map mods every time because it just adds so much extra loot&xp and it doesn't slow me down at all. Okay maybe 1-2 seconds to kill a tough beyond boss.

And lastly (not sure) but I feel that some beyond bosses & exiles have been greatly nerfed. I remember running zana maps and people where like yelling: "MAGNUS" or "IGNA" or "Bameth" and everyone made portals and got the hell out. Especially with extra damage map mods.

But my reason for quitting to play is the mapping system. I find endgame so badly designed no matter the league. Increasing map droprates still doesn't change anything for me.

yeeee complaining about beyond mechanics is noobish but not being able to sustain a map pool with actual droprates is not ... hilarious :D

I think beyond mobs are fun because more mobs...
Last edited by Nurgus on Oct 12, 2015, 7:11:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info