Denied

"
SkyCore wrote:
So with my new android being delivered i thought i would look into make making apps for it.
http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/android-tools-of-the-trade--cms-21429 Summarizes the publicly available IDEs for creating android apps. Sorry boys, this is all java and XML. No C++ here.
With a quick youtube search, i found a very simple series on explaining the very basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYbdoVV7Hg.

I must say, it is painful to learn. I know general programming fairly well. But all the different tools and libraries you are required to be familiar with seems quite overwhelming.

Reading this, I wonder why you do not use a proper game engine, such as Unity. You can write your code in C# (shouldn't be too hard when you already know C++), you can deploy your game to pretty much every relevant platform(mobile, desktop, console), i.e. reach a larger audience, and you don't need to worry about too many extra libraries (physics, animations, particles, sound, graphics, networking, UI, ...) as they are already included.
"
kruemel2222 wrote:

Reading this, I wonder why you do not use a proper game engine, such as Unity. You can write your code in C# (shouldn't be too hard when you already know C++),

'A proper game engine'. I have to chuckle at this. I think you completely miss the point of 3D engines... which is to provide 3d graphics. You seem to use the term 'proper' as if anything other than such a thing is somehow lesser.

It reminds me of this rich kids SUV that broke down in front of my old house(in the most dangerous neighborhood in the city). I went out to help, and noticed the problem was a busted radiator hose. I offered to cut off the damaged part and reattach it. But this rich kid was too 'above' such things. He said in a condescending tone, 'im towing it to a garage where it can be fixed the right way.' As if getting the vehicle running didnt matter as much as the 'proper way in which things are done'. I attribute such failings to a lack of noticing the difference between objective realities and the fictional constructs of society. Some ppl are so immersed in culture that they are unable to perceive the universe in any other way except through that cultural lens.

But i digress on tangents too far.

Using a 3d engine to power a card game is like trying to replace the batteries in a flashlight with a nuclear reactor.
Unity is far more complex than the libraries in android studio sdk. Unity also has a far bigger memory and storage footprint, which is important as most cell phones dont exactly have a glut of either.

But the biggest reason for a solo developer to not use a 3d engine is: assets. You cant do ANYTHING in a 3d environment without a lot of assets. Creating audio, meshes, textures, and animating them is a time consuming task which requires a high degree of artistic skill. Perhaps if there was a large collection of free to use assets properly formatted to a set of standards then this wouldnt be such a big deal. But in the many hours iv spent looking last year for just such a resource, i failed to find anything remotely resembling such a treasure. If you know of one, please link it to us.

What is your experience with unity? And how many people contributed on those projects?
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Oct 15, 2015, 9:24:56 PM
"
SkyCore wrote:
"
kruemel2222 wrote:

Reading this, I wonder why you do not use a proper game engine, such as Unity. You can write your code in C# (shouldn't be too hard when you already know C++),

'A proper game engine'. I have to chuckle at this. I think you completely miss the point of 3D engines... which is to provide 3d graphics. You seem to use the term 'proper' as if anything other than such a thing is somehow lesser.

It reminds me of this rich kids SUV that broke down in front of my old house(in the most dangerous neighborhood in the city). I went out to help, and noticed the problem was a busted radiator hose. I offered to cut off the damaged part and reattach it. But this rich kid was too 'above' such things. He said in a condescending tone, 'im towing it to a garage where it can be fixed the right way.' As if getting the vehicle running didnt matter as much as the 'proper way in which things are done'. I attribute such failings to a lack of noticing the difference between objective realities and the fictional constructs of society. Some ppl are so immersed in culture that they are unable to perceive the universe in any other way except through that cultural lens.

But i digress on tangents too far.

Using a 3d engine to power a card game is like trying to replace the batteries in a flashlight with a nuclear reactor.
Unity is far more complex than the libraries in android studio sdk. Unity also has a far bigger memory and storage footprint, which is important as most cell phones dont exactly have a glut of either.

But the biggest reason for a solo developer to not use a 3d engine is: assets. You cant do ANYTHING in a 3d environment without a lot of assets. Creating audio, meshes, textures, and animating them is a time consuming task which requires a high degree of artistic skill. Perhaps if there was a large collection of free to use assets properly formatted to a set of standards then this wouldnt be such a big deal. But in the many hours iv spent looking last year for just such a resource, i failed to find anything remotely resembling such a treasure. If you know of one, please link it to us.

What is your experience with unity? And how many people contributed on those projects?

Let's start with the last paragraph. I am casually using Unity. Alone, as a hobbyist, obviously. Currently working on a 2D roguelike. It spawns a random dungeon, it places some enemies into it, you can kill them and proceed to the next level. Nothing too fancy, nothing that will ever be released to the public, but I find working on it quiet entertaining.

The reason I suggested a game engine instead of starting from scratch is based on personal experience. I was always interested in developing games. Not as a occupation, of course, but as a hobby, just as gaming itself. And from what I get from your OP you are in the very same situation that I have always been in. A single "developer". No funds. Creating the game in your spare time.

Of course you can start from a scratch, just as you seem to intent to do it. And yes, depending on your skills, the final result may be greatly optimized and better than what you could have achieved when using a game engine. Problem is, by doing so, you will spend a lot of time worrying about low level stuff. That's why I suggested to expand on a proven game engine instead. Maybe Unity is indeed not the correct choice for you. That's fine. In that case, just google "android 2d game engine". They exist.
This reminds me of the time I stubbed my toe on the marble fireplace surround one night. It hurt a lot, but I wasn't concerned with the pain, I was more concerned at the objective reality of my situation and my subjective impressions being in conflict with them.

As such, I managed to stub my toe again the next day. The moral here, guys, is that you can either focus your energy into not stubbing your toe, or you can use your thoughts to generate a low level molecular dissonance that will allow you to alter reality into a form where the marble fireplace surround is made of soft cheese.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"

alter reality into a form where the marble fireplace surround is made of soft cheese.

Soft cheese is still an objective material which can be measured and exists independent of observers. You need to focus your energy more in order to turn it into 'status' or 'popularity'.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
"

alter reality into a form where the marble fireplace surround is made of soft cheese.

Soft cheese is still an objective material which can be measured and exists independent of observers. You need to focus your energy more in order to turn it into 'status' or 'popularity'.

I'd argue it is subjective - soft cheese is soft when perceived by a toe traveling at 11km/h, while it maybe hard cheese both literally and figuratively when perceived by a toothless mouse.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Oct 16, 2015, 12:18:50 AM
"
This reminds me of the time I stubbed my toe on the marble fireplace surround one night. It hurt a lot, but I wasn't concerned with the pain, I was more concerned at the objective reality of my situation and my subjective impressions being in conflict with them.

As such, I managed to stub my toe again the next day. The moral here, guys, is that you can either focus your energy into not stubbing your toe, or you can use your thoughts to generate a low level molecular dissonance that will allow you to alter reality into a form where the marble fireplace surround is made of soft cheese.

Just cut off the toe you keep stubbing and replace it with a metal replica, problem solved!
In fact you should just replace all weak flesh with metal.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
"
Einkil wrote:
"

Just cut off the toe you keep stubbing and replace it with a metal replica, problem solved!

The issue I have with this is potentially damaging the fireplace surround. Mot sure if you're aware of the cost of Yule Marble, but replacing or fixing it would be somewhat annoying.

Replace the marble with metal. Problem solved.
Damn, I must be a computer or something because my problem solving is through the roof.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
"
"
Einkil wrote:
"

The issue I have with this is potentially damaging the fireplace surround. Mot sure if you're aware of the cost of Yule Marble, but replacing or fixing it would be somewhat annoying.

WTF guys, take your discussion somewhere else.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info