Learning C++ programming language

I've been wanting to get into this for a while, checking out some online guides. Any programmers here with some advice?

I'm off to a very slow start, learning the basics of using a compiler and writing commands based on the examples provided.

I'd like to make my own games eventually, although I wouldn't limit myself to just that.
"When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
I sincerely hope it isn't your first programming language, otherwise you'll have a hard time.

in any case, this list looks good enough:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
I sincerely hope it isn't your first programming language, otherwise you'll have a hard time.

in any case, this list looks good enough:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

It is my first. Thanks for posting the link, checking it out now.

Even if it's hard, I feel like it will be the most useful
If you just want to make games I would suggest you start with Unity, and C# language.

Unity is totaly free, even for professional use (assuming you make less than 100k/year from development) and there are many many tutorials.

C++ is powerful, but very archaic. I wouldn't learn it unless you absolutely need to, like if you want to work on game engines.
My advice is start with C first, but there's nothing wrong with starting with C++. Just take it slow and resist the urge to dive into the deep side of the pool.

Also, when the time comes, make sweet, tender love to pointers. The world opened up after I became intimately familiar with them.
The only problem with modern C++ books is that they throw you quiet fast into classes, list, vector stuff which isn't really intuitive to understand for beginners.

And on intermediate level you have to deal with stuff like inline assembly meaning you need to learn ASM basics as well.

Another typical C++ problem are the ways the many c++ compilers are compiling.
"
Mephasm wrote:
If you just want to make games I would suggest you start with Unity, and C# language.

Unity is totaly free, even for professional use (assuming you make less than 100k/year from development) and there are many many tutorials.

C++ is powerful, but very archaic. I wouldn't learn it unless you absolutely need to, like if you want to work on game engines.

Lots of people are telling me this, that C++ is not the best place to start.

one guy said Python, another said Java. You say Unity - interesting, I have the unity web player installed. Wow lots of options and choices to make.

I just want to create something super basic like pong to start off, just to see some kind of result that works and be proud of it that I grasped the basics, feel like I'm making progress. Branch out with more complexity from there.
python is hot fire
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Oct 21, 2015, 8:15:16 PM
C++ is a fine place to start. Really you just have to keep working with it, and exploring new concepts as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.
"
Manocean wrote:
python is hot fire

Not to long ago i thought id learn python. 10 minutes later looking at example code i saw like 3 or 4 colons which all meant different things because of their context. Then and there i was like, 'nope'. Ill stick to languages that are actually human readable.

Java is the ideal beginner language imo. No memory management or pointers to worry about. Easy to read. Lots of support.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info