Math of Exile --> Trying to cheat the numbers

POE calculates DPS for you. It is an average of your per hit damage multiplied by your attack rate. So if I want to know my approximate damage per shot (Which I'll call dps instead of DPS because that's not confusing) I should be able to simply divide my DPS by my attack rate, right?

Example: 4500 DPS / 1.35 attacks per second = 3333 damage per shot average.

It is early here and I haven't had my coffee yet and this seems much more complicated than it should.

I think this would be a useful piece of information to have. It is only about %50 of the time that I end up spamming a skill and more often using a hit and run type of technique. If you are not attacking for a solid second at a time then DPS is kind of useless. Not useless but only partially useful. Seeing DPS and dps side by side would be really useful in strategizing. I'm not suggesting to add it to the game, I'm just trying to find a shortcut to get it since we already have DPS on a plate.

Wolf
I'll take "Swords" for two hundred Alex.
-Faux Sean Connery
DPS factors in Crit Chance/Mult and Accuracy too.
Also, your Total Damage per Hit is listed on the Character sheet, you can just average the minimum and maximum to get your average Damage per shot? *shrug*

Yes, DPS is a largely meaningless number. Glad you realise :)
Feel grateful. I never know my DPS or Damage per Shot because I use Explosive Arrow XD
Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
Last edited by Actkqk on Oct 6, 2015, 11:11:32 AM
I just kind of mentally compensate. Both numbers are useful, but in real game play there are so many factors that you just have to get a feel for it. I think it depends on the individual, their play style and manual dexterity.

Like when I race, even if a 2H has better tool tip DPS, it's pretty common for me to switch to DW. The faster attack speed just feels more fluid to me. Even if the 2H has 20-30% more DPS, I still might prefer DW. That's in a racing situation where I'm fighting and running - tossing a fire trap, maybe tossing a flame thrower, taking a few quick smacks with molten strike, and keep running. With 2H, the delay feels very noticeable to me. It's like my timing is off. So even with lower DPS, I feel like I clear much faster with a faster DW.

There are just so many factors and so many situations, there is not a one-size-fits-all solution. This is why it's useful to swap weapons or gems depending on the situation. I just know that it's fairly common for me to get a higher tool tip DPS or higher single damage, but it just feels wrong.

You can't overlook on-hit and secondary affects either. That can affect pretty much every build, but it can be huge for some builds.
Last edited by harddaysnight on Oct 6, 2015, 1:57:02 PM
"
damage per shot (Which I'll call dps instead of DPS because that's not confusing)

Way too confusing. I prefer dph, DpH, or DPH for Damage per Hit - especially since Path of Exile specifically distinguishes between Hits and non-Hits (which are always degens, I think?)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info