Molten Strike - how it works with high critical chance?

Hello mates

I've checked PoE Wiki but there is nothing useful there :/ I wonder how exactly the skill procs critical hit chance?In particular,can the magma orbs crit,and if they can is crit chance calculated for separately for each of them?If yes,does that apply to orbs generated by multistrike?
Crit is rolled once per action. This means that the balls will crit when the initial hit crits. The same also goes for Multistrike since all three hits are still one action since a single click will always produce these three strikes and the orbs from each.

However, saying that it's either all crit or none crit isn't 100% accurate due to the enemies evasion rating. This means that each crit from an attack can be evaded, which would reduce it to a normal hit.

Edit: not exactly sure how this would interact with the Disembowling cluster on the left side of the tree since it specifically states melee critical chance.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Oct 5, 2015, 11:58:21 AM
"
vargorn wrote:
Edit: not exactly sure how this would interact with the Disembowling cluster on the left side of the tree since it specifically states melee critical chance.

It's pretty much the same as hitting a bunch of enemies with some of them being cursed with assmark. Different parts of your skill can have different crit chance, if you have 'melee crit' it means that sometimes when you roll a crit it will fall within the range of melee part but not the projectile part so only the melee part will crit.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
The projectiles from molten strike, to my knowledge, cannot be dodged or evaded. They don't "hit", but cause aoe explosions when they fall. The only way for them to miss is if they are blocked or they just don't explode near the target.

A crit on the melee hit will make all molten strike projectiles crit.
"
Ampheis wrote:
The projectiles from molten strike, to my knowledge, cannot be dodged or evaded. They don't "hit", but cause aoe explosions when they fall. The only way for them to miss is if they are blocked or they just don't explode near the target.

Nope, they do a perfectly normal projectile AoE attack, very similar in behavior to Rain of Arrows or Kinetic Blast explosions. Projectiles can't hit enemies directly and hit ground instead, but that only means they can't work with pierce, chain or fork.

So,for using Molten Stike as Cast on Critical activator:
1) if magma balls crits only when initial strike scored a crit,then except high critical chance also accuracy is required,right?Or Wagan's weaponry with signature mod "Hits can't be evaded"
2) Crit calculation is rolled only once per skill activation,so it means unless there is very high critical hit chance + accuracy multistrike support is inferior to faster attacks due to fact MS gives one activation per 3 swings while FA rolls crit 3 times,right?
3) Supporting Molten Strike by GMP/LMP is good idea,as all the balls will check spell cast chance on crit.This should exceptionally shine with multistrike and very good crit chance later in the game,right?
1) Yes. The "effective critchance" for attacks is basically [chance to hit]^2 x [critchance], so i would advise to go for at least around 90% chance to hit, which means ~2500 accuracy for lvl 80+ maps.

2) for slower weapons, yes. For very fast ones, you might as well go with Multistrike later once you have enough %increased attack speed from passives.
But yeah, i personally would start with Faster Attacks and switch to Multistrike later when both attack speed and critchance are high.

3) Yes

11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Oct 6, 2015, 5:19:53 AM
Ok, this is how the whole process works:

- You roll a crit once per skill activation by rolling a random number between 1 and 100.
- Different parts of the skill may have different crit chances, for instance if you have any 'melee crit chance' initial hit could have something like 25% crit chance and projectiles 20%.
- So, if you rolled, say, 22, it means that melee part will be in crit threat range and projectile part won't, if it rolled 18 it means both will be in range and if it roleld 30, none will.
- Chance to hit is then rolled for ever hit and every target in its range.
- If the hit was successful and was also within crit threat range, then chance to hit is rolled once more to upgrade it into a crit, if not, it stays a normal hit.

Accuracy is very important for a crit build so Vagan's weapons are very popular for CoC as they free you from accuracy investment on tree and gear and give you more crits per attack than it would even be possible by stacking accuracy.

Multistrike is mostly up to personal preference if you have moderate crit chance, using multistrike will net you more crits but they will be more bursty and pauses between them longer so it will be less reliable. If your crit chance is very high, multistrike has no downsides and is probably the best support you can get your hands on.

LMP/GMP usage is mostly determined by your choice of spells, if they don't also benefit from it there are usually better supports.

Last edited by raics on Oct 6, 2015, 5:34:23 AM
Thank you very much guys,your hints are really helpful.
Just one,last things to clarify:
1) What exactly is moderate crit chance for a CoC build?
2) What better than GMP/LMP supports are for CoC Molten Strike assuming I'm going to use Firestorm and Shock Nova?I planned to use these extra projectile balls as mana gainers (mana on hit from jewels;I use Revelry on other character,it causes Molten Strike + Multistrike + GMP + WED + LoH almost never run me out of mana,though total cost is 44) and AoE coverage/single target shotgunning.
Gentlemen,please,these two last questions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info