Hardcore Log-Out Time

pretty sure ggg has considered a logout timer or something like that but because nearly everyone who takes the game serious on hardcore uses a logout macro they would lose many players in doing so.

the thing i dont like about the logout macros is that they can be abused by people exploiting the game and using scripts to auto logout at low hp.

i think people even do this on softcore which is another reason i want ggg to remove the exp loss on death.
"
NekoHanten wrote:
pretty sure ggg has considered a logout timer or something like that but because nearly everyone who takes the game serious on hardcore uses a logout macro they would lose many players in doing so.

the thing i dont like about the logout macros is that they can be abused by people exploiting the game and using scripts to auto logout at low hp.

i think people even do this on softcore which is another reason i want ggg to remove the exp loss on death.

New skill gem: "Logout on low life". :P
The idea has merit, and with the improvements to the netcode it should be reconsidered.

Reconsidered and then rejected as unnecessary.
I think the main reason why this suggestion never gets traction is that its proponents pull arbitrary numbers out of their asses for how long a logout timer should be. They seemingly do not think at all about how long a logout timer should be, and instead adopt a "nerf it into oblivion" approach.

15 seconds is laughably out of the question.

If you ask me, the appropriate logout (and portal) delay would be 1 second. Keeping it low minimizes the damage to players who have legitimate disconnections or latency issues, while keeping it non-zero means that it is not a guaranteed escape and your character will still die if you are stupidly reckless.

I do think 1 second is a lot better than no delay at all, however.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 5, 2015, 1:14:00 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
If you ask me, the appropriate logout (and portal) delay would be 1 second
I had lag spikes of 2000ms in Frankfurt. That would literally make it impossible for me to play at times.
PoE needs better social features... and more cats!
I meant one second from logout command initiation.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Just_Seba wrote:
Hello, one of the things I personally dislike (and I remember this since the early days of the first Diablo) is exiting a game when you're on the verge of death. Hardcore should be hardcore, every moment I should be stressed about death, and not have an easy escape plan if I get in a bad situation. My suggestion:

When playing hardcore, disable the game exit, and put a countdown when logging out (15 seconds?).

Lets make hardcore, truly hardcore.

I don't play hardcore, but: What if your game crashes? What if your computer crashes? What if your Windows decides to spontaneously reboot? What if your internet connection crashes? You just die?
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Char1983 wrote:
"
Just_Seba wrote:
Hello, one of the things I personally dislike (and I remember this since the early days of the first Diablo) is exiting a game when you're on the verge of death. Hardcore should be hardcore, every moment I should be stressed about death, and not have an easy escape plan if I get in a bad situation. My suggestion:

When playing hardcore, disable the game exit, and put a countdown when logging out (15 seconds?).

I don't play hardcore, but: What if your game crashes? What if your computer crashes? What if your Windows decides to spontaneously reboot? What if your internet connection crashes? You just die?

1. you die
2. you die
3. you die
4. you die

... if any mob is on your screen or at least close... or the map has any degen.
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
"
Just_Seba wrote:

I think GGG will gladly do exactly that just after you tell them how they can distinguish between a real disconnect and an exit... Given that you seem to have all the solutions, you should present that one :-p

Secondly... Why does it bother you so much what other people do? It doesn't affect you in any way!

If there is one thing that makes players rage-quit a game, it is unjustly having their effort taken away. GGG wisely choose not to do so.

"Rather let 100 guilty men walk away than punish an innocent one!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info