Not D3, its D2 vs PoE

I keep seeing people bashing D3 or in rarer cases promoting it verses PoE, but I think I feel better about challenging PoE verses D2.

First off, D2 is the gold standard. Many of you were very young when it came out, its not that interesting to you. My daughter asked me what's so big about Star Wars? I had to explain that before it came out, there was nothing like it. There was no CGI before it came out. D2 is a lot like that. Yes there were video games before it, but it was huge! hence the term D2 Clone.

Second, the game play is more a like than D3. D3 compares to WOW better for some strange reason.

Third, It too was made by a team of dedicated programers trying to make the best game possible. I don't mean to piss off D3 fans, but my personal feelings about it was that it was a cash grab by the suits that don't give a rat's ass about gameplay. It could have been huge too, but I left the game for failing to entertain me.

I miss D2 and the hundreds (thousands?) of hours I spent playing it. There are certain aspects of that game I wish were in PoE for personal reasons, but I have learned to love what PoE offers and need not take from D2. PoE can be the greatest ever, but D2 sits a top the mountain right now and the trek up will be a long one.
Mmhm I totally agree with you.
Afterall it's not because a game is like every single other game out there in the market that you play it. You choose it because it's new and entertaining to you.

I do think that this game could be improved on compared to other games out there. But the thing which I believe drives new players is the fact that this game is still developing and we're the ones who're testing it out. The fact that this game is still new and can be changed is probably which drives me to play this game.

When I started WoW the game seemed to be too complete and too finished. After doing many of the areas it started to get a bit boring. and not too long after that I quit.
I agree with OP
+1 +1 +1... All these D3 comparisons are one of the reasons alot of people dont like the game... Because we dont think that D3 has anything to do with PoE at all... PoE is BASED on D2 and by some other games in a more minor degree.

I dont even know what D3 is based on... Other than WoW of course. :D.

I got Diablo 3 a week ago, it felt more like an isometric Castlevania game to me than a D2 sequel.

For me the selling point of PoE is the time spent doodling with the passive skill tree, trying to figure out what kind of build I want. There is none of that in D3, it's not an RPG in the Diablo tradition.

There are other things too, for me they add up to give PoE more of a D2 sequel feel than D3.
this is actually a huge honour for Poe to be compared to D2.

D2 is best for past generation

Poe is the D2 for current generation

(my opinions, please be advised that personal opinions are personal.
Viewer discretion is advised)
If you wish for a key? pray to the allmighty Keysus. If you want a speedy Blessing? Donate to the church of Keysus and ye shall receive a Blessing.

*Disclaimer- This is now a vintage saying*
"
xreasonz wrote:
this is actually a huge honour for Poe to be compared to D2.

D2 is best for past generation

Poe is the D2 for current generation

(my opinions, please be advised that personal opinions are personal.
Viewer discretion is advised)

+1
If you think I care what you think, you need more of a life than I do.
The diablo 2 is still better, due to how there are many things to be done like rune words and all that, (though baal run is an issue, bots has always been an issue).

The thing about diablo 2 is that, im really bored of it.. I have played it for many years, it just gets boring and I would need something new to play, the path of exile seems to be quite nice, but I doubt it will beat the past gaming experience d2 has given me.

I guess it also has to do with how path of exile has 3 acts but d2 have 5 acts.
My Craft Logs-thread/359202
Something to keep in mind while comparing PoE to D2:

D2 has seen awesome content patches and a very successful expansion over many years, while PoE is still in beta. D2 at release was a shadow of the D2 we think of now, it really was.

With that in mind, I personally think PoE is going places. The mesh of the "sphere grid" design with basically a spin-off of the materia system from FF7 is awesome. While not entirely innovative in concept, definitely creative in its implementation to an ARPG, whereas D2 was indeed innovative, but definitely not creative in comparison IMO. Where I think PoE truly outshines D2 is the endgame design. The maps system is completely brilliant, and is a big part of what will surely keep many interested for years, particularly if they plan to regularly update and add flavor to this system. Just brilliant.

I feel PoE as it is now is a better game than D2 at launch, and is only going to continue to improve.
"
Moonyu wrote:
I keep seeing people bashing D3 or in rarer cases promoting it verses PoE, but I think I feel better about challenging PoE verses D2.

First off, D2 is the gold standard. Many of you were very young when it came out, its not that interesting to you. My daughter asked me what's so big about Star Wars? I had to explain that before it came out, there was nothing like it. There was no CGI before it came out. D2 is a lot like that. Yes there were video games before it, but it was huge! hence the term D2 Clone.

I would go further than that. Before the original Diablo came out there was nothing comparable. Sure, Diablo II is the king of Arpg, to which every other point-and-click hack-and-slash is still compared, but the original started this all. Diablo II improved it further, although the game everyone remembers best is of course what came after Lord of Destruction was released. Frankly, Diablo II at first was not that groundbreaking, and felt disappointing after the original. Most important is though that Diablo II had the template for greatness.

In my opinion Path of Exile will take the crown and keep it, at least as long as Diablo II did.

"
Second, the game play is more a like than D3. D3 compares to WOW better for some strange reason.

Can't comment on that. Never played World of Warcraft.

"
Third, It too was made by a team of dedicated programers trying to make the best game possible. I don't mean to piss off D3 fans, but my personal feelings about it was that it was a cash grab by the suits that don't give a rat's ass about gameplay. It could have been huge too, but I left the game for failing to entertain me.

Call it the corporate influence. It has ruined many things, for example car industry, bicycle industry, whisky industry. Game industry is on its way there. Put business people and accountants in charge and you get what you ask for.

Thankfully there are indie developers coming that really care.

"
I miss D2 and the hundreds (thousands?) of hours I spent playing it. There are certain aspects of that game I wish were in PoE for personal reasons, but I have learned to love what PoE offers and need not take from D2. PoE can be the greatest ever, but D2 sits a top the mountain right now and the trek up will be a long one.

Maybe it is better to leave those things stay there. You'll have better memories of Diablo II.
I left out D1 on purpose. Yes it was the beginning and I played it. But D2 was the huge hit that really was great. PoE takes many game theories from it and rightly so. I love that they are trying to bring fresh ideas and game playing style, but the posting is more about everyone needing to stop worrying about D3. Its not PoE's model, but D2 is. Will it ultimately be better? I hope so, but it will have to stand the test of time. A very long time, before de-throning the king.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info