Don't kill stuff!

IMO you should not be allowed to move on to next area till you full clear the one your in

Once you full clear an area you may then do any area that has been full cleared as you please :D

This would be good for some other events to... like the exiles event you must kill the exiles in the area to move on to the next!
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Is it bothering anyone else that more and more I am reading about strategies that involve actively NOT killing stuff to optimize gains?

Wait, what strategies are these?

Are you talking about racing?
Or just levelling/farming in general?

Because as far as I know... that's always been a thing in Path of Exile except that it's discussed more often now?
If you want to level as fast as possible, do these things. (Which includes skipping a lot of regular enemies and not spending time in areas that aren't within X levels of your character level.)
If you want to defeat bosses as quick as possible, do this other thing.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The new gauntlets, Southbound, that only allow you to kill frozen targets are revealing that it's often better to not kill something rather than kill it. That really bugs me for some reason I can't really place.

I don't...what?

Sorry, why does Southbound make it better to not kill something sometimes? If you don't kill the target, they remain frozen for longer but if they're dead then they're dead forever.

The short answer is: No.
It doesn't bother me.
Why would it?

I'm not playing competitively.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
raics wrote:
Of course, of course, I don't think anyone assumed planting yourself in some corner and looking pretty was what I had in mind. Men spent entire lives devising how to work by not working and kill by not killing. Some also tried to eat by not eating, but those lives ended up being fairly short.

:D

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Lynerus wrote:
IMO you should not be allowed to move on to next area till you full clear the one your in

Once you full clear an area you may then do any area that has been full cleared as you please :D

This would be good for some other events to... like the exiles event you must kill the exiles in the area to move on to the next!

It could work if every map was like ledge, or something. Problem is that not ever map is like that, and having to find that last one goddamn monster on EVERY map would mean a quick death to PoE. I mean, have you tried doing Tempest Challenge? I tried. I never completed it, because thinking of having to run around searching for that one last monster made me sick. : (
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:
"
Lynerus wrote:
It could work if every map was like ledge, or something. Problem is that not ever map is like that, and having to find that last one goddamn monster on EVERY map would mean a quick death to PoE

I'd say its sufficient to gain access on remaining monsters < 20 ;) And, its obviously not useful in regular races (but maybe as a special mod), and also obviously not recommended for furthermore travels to already explored (and cleared) areas.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
I think OP misunderstands the southbound unique and based on this, he constructed some weird assumptions.

The line "can only kill frozen monsters" is a drawback.
Maybe, maybe you can build around it (iE let someone or your golem cull the monsters with iir), but then, you still want to see those monsters dead.

There's no advantage in not killing monsters and not gaining loot and xp.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
They use southbound to not kill stuff when ghostbusting. They're using southbound so that Flame Totem doesn't kill stuff with it's hits, but will with the burn caused by the hit. They're using southbound to prevent accidentally killing a boss when you want your culler to kill it instead...

This list goes on. The idea is to stop you from killing something so that you can get a better reward.

This wasn't about racing.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
They use southbound to not kill stuff when ghostbusting. They're using southbound so that Flame Totem doesn't kill stuff with it's hits, but will with the burn caused by the hit. They're using southbound to prevent accidentally killing a boss when you want your culler to kill it instead...

This list goes on. The idea is to stop you from killing something so that you can get a better reward.

This wasn't about racing.

Ah, okay.
So it's not about not killing things, it's about not mindlessly killing things so that you get better loot.

Your original post was a little vague as to the specifics, glad to know we've straightened that out.

I have to say though, what you're talking about seems like the same as it's always been with designated cullers and dealing with those Tormented Spirits; it's just that Southbound makes it easier on the culler.

Or even for a single player, switching it out for their magic find gloves before landing the killing blow.

Heck, the Southbound gloves are a godsend to any party doing Vorici missions who've had someone mess it up.

I think it's a good thing.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Oct 5, 2015, 10:11:59 AM
Just seems odd to me that so many new and really dominant strategies seem to focus on keeping monsters alive. I don't mind it if there's an occasion to do this, but with some builds it's a primary goal.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I don't mind it if there's an occasion to do this, but with some builds it's a primary goal.

For example?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info