So.... account creation is pretty dangerous here, huh

I created a forum account today, on the same email address as the one I registered the open beta account on. Apparently that just outright made a brand new account on top of my old account for the game, which means I can't access my old one. Awesome?
"
StoleMyOwnCar wrote:
I created a forum account today, on the same email address as the one I registered the open beta account on. Apparently that just outright made a brand new account on top of my old account for the game, which means I can't access my old one. Awesome?

Contact support directly, perhaps they can help you out. Several people have reported this difficulty but others have been unable to reproduce it.

Maybe you can change your username to StoleMyOwnAccount too!
Last edited by Britannicus on Feb 14, 2013, 1:56:21 AM
Lol that's a good one dude.

This is how you do it:
Register for beta account on game server.
Start playing.
Go on the forums and register a new account on forums under the email address you used for the game server earlier.

I find it hilarious how you can steal your own account in this, except you're not the one that gets it. It's just floating around.

Lawl
Only one account can actively exist with a particular email. If a second account with the same email is created, one of two things happens:
1) If the first account had been verified, from the verification email, it cannot be overwritten this way.
2) If the first account is not verified, then the second, newly created account will become the 'active' account for that email. the first account exists, but cannot be accessed.

If you've made a new, second account active for a particular email, but have not verified it, you can instead verify the first one, and it will (permanently) become the active account for that email.

This ensures that the actual owner of an email gets the account associated with it, because only they get the verification email, which can verify an account as the correct one for that email.

If, for some reason, you've not verified the first account, made a second one over it with the same email, and then verified that one, I don't know if anything can be done, but you'll need to contact support and explain in detail what happened.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 14, 2013, 7:10:19 PM
What I don't understand is why you would create a seconde account.
The forum account is the same as the one you play the game with. So why would you?
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
The forum account is the same as the one you play the game with. So why would you?

To create a mule? Extra 4 stash tabs for free :)
But then it is logical that one uses another email address, cause the game is asking for that (and not for the account name)!
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Only one account can actively exist with a particular email. If a second account with the same email is created, one of two things happens:
1) If the first account had been verified, from the verification email, it cannot be overwritten this way.
2) If the first account is not verified, then the second, newly created account will become the 'active' account for that email. the first account exists, but cannot be accessed.

If you've made a new, second account active for a particular email, but have not verified it, you can instead verify the first one, and it will (permanently) become the active account for that email.

This ensures that the actual owner of an email gets the account associated with it, because only they get the verification email, which can verify an account as the correct one for that email.

If, for some reason, you've not verified the first account, made a second one over it with the same email, and then verified that one, I don't know if anything can be done, but you'll need to contact support and explain in detail what happened.

This is a big issue. A friend of mine has had his account since CB. He decided he wanted to invest some money in some Stash tabs, which required account verification. He's now done that and unknowingly overwritten his account with all his characters, items... everything.

Absolutely unbelievable.

Is there seriously no solution here?
Same thing happened to me. Now how can I get back my character ?

I changed my email for my 2nd account and when I try to login to the first one
using the old email it has become invalid. I can assume here that all the data
is erased yet my characters are still intact (I cant use my character names again)

I presume the only way to fix this might be to allow selection of ID during login
on top of the email or stick to one email one account policy.

Should put up an error to prevent such mistakes.

Wasted time here folks.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:

Because most games, including this one, don't make the "forum=game account" bit PAINFULLY clear, if it is the case? Moreover, in a multitude of services, you register a game account, and then you make a forum account separately, because the forum might be hosted off of a different database (which is smart), and then you can link your game account to your forum account instead. I thought that was the case here, and I guess I was painfully wrong. It is absolute idiocy that an verified account can simply replace an unverified one.

That process is more idiotic than my forum name.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Why does it work this way?! That's stupid! Just make it so that when you register a game account you HAVE to verify it! That ensures that people that make fake accounts will have to have their own fake email address, and you won't flood your database with spammed accounts that were created and then overtaken by legitimate owners of emails. What you guys are doing is downright Darius lunacy. You need to either fix the system, or make it so that when you registering an account in the forum section, it makes it clear that you will be replacing the game account, if it's unverified... which still won't help because some people won't read it. I think there's one easy solution, there.

Note that I'm not angry about my one level 19 marauder getting erased. That's quite replaceable.

I'm just baffled by how anyone can possibly think this system is a good idea. It's not straightforward for the user, and you create problems for yourself via tickets incoming.

Right now the amount of people that it's happening to as a percentage might be small, but you realize that's only going to increase with user population growth (and that percentage will not stay the same). Just make it so that game accounts have to be verified, and you don't have this issue. It's probably like a few lines of code.
Last edited by StoleMyOwnCar on Feb 15, 2013, 4:14:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info