Map Tier concept

GGG I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind Map tiers. As far as I can tell, this is just a way to confuse players. Instead of labeling the map by its level, all you did was slap on an arbitrary labeling system on it forcing players to go by a simple formula to remember its map level: Tier + 67 = map level

What's the point of this system if it doesn't fundamentally change anything? Are there any advantages to map tiers that didn't exist when they were addressed by their map levels? I don't necessarily care because I can do simple math but I'd like to know if anything actually changed or not. Just seems like a minor inconvenience rather than something meaningful added to the game.
Last bumped on Jul 4, 2016, 11:52:03 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I see it this way:

For most of the content, player level and area level are the same. In maps, this goes to hell. Some players think they should be doing, let's say, level 78 maps at level 90, but it's not that straightforward, because of the mods and the experience penalty.

Also, there is the effective experience rate at higher tiers, so map level starts to make less sense.

So GGG said: fuck it, let's change level to tiers so players mapping start conceptualizing it differently. Yes, it's more opaque, but for a reason.

Personally, I think that it goes against the hardcore philosophy of the game. If you get to maps, you should be able to understand the mismatch between area level and player level.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
Chris wrote:
...Players expect to play maps of their level (which can be way too hard for them), or make arguments about that they're level 95+ and can't find a level 80 map. Players with backgrounds in contemporary MMORPGs expect to play content equivalent to their level.

In order to resolve this confusion, maps now display a tier rather than a level.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1429674
I don't like the new concept of Tiers :(

1:
It make no sense to use let's say Tier 3 maps if your Char is level 85 as you get close to sero exp.
And what we all want is to level up our Chars, not?

If GGG had changed some Maps with realy hard Bosses (Dungeon, former level 68 (wiki rating 4)) for example to higher Tiers. And other with easy Bosses (Pier, former level 72 (wiki rating 1) to lower Tiers. Then Tiers would make sense.

But not as it is now where Tier X == Level 67 + X plain and simple.
Then you can plain and simple write Level X as all that changes IS the mob level!

2:
Before 2.0.4 I could simply filter my maps ingame with "68", "69" and so on. This is NOT posible anymore! If I now search a "Tier 3" map I can not just go and search for "3" as I get "Quality 3" or "Quantity +31%" as results too :(. Even "Mobs have 13% more movespeed" if it's a magic/rare map.
Now I MUST use ..."Tier: 3"... with apostrop as ...Tier: 3... would result in ALL TIER: and ALL 3 results.

Over all this change is no enhancement, it just complicates everythink without a need.
Last edited by Schakar on Oct 2, 2015, 4:23:38 AM
It's a new layer of obfuscation sold to us as a resolution to a problem that I'm skeptical even existed.

To me it stinks of the implication that all of our complains about high level content being gated behind RNG instead of difficulty were misinterpreted as us not understanding we're not supposed to run maps the same level as our character level. No veteran players thought that. We meant exactly what we said: content should be gated behind difficulty and not RNG.

We were ignored, which is GGG's prerogative, but they didn't need to clumsily try to mask the fact that they were ignoring us with superficial "solutions."

I honestly believe this change is insulting and pointless. I cannot for the life of me understand why serious people are defending this. It's literally nothing more than a cosmetic change that adds another layer of complexity for no reason. It's not that these changes make the game worse in any way, it's just that a huge amount of player complaints were met with a whole lot of dismissive nothingness.

The exp gain change also seems empty to me: just artificially and hamfistedly increasing the amount of time streamers/no-lifers need to spend to level without adding anything to the endgame. I disagree with some of Charan's recent posts - we really, really do need more enhancements to the endgame, not just fleshing out the early-midgame experience (not that I'm against doing that as well).

I keep coming back to the PoE forums hoping for a reason to return to the game, but instead I keep finding new reasons to be glad I left.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Oct 2, 2015, 4:54:48 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Personally, I think that it goes against the hardcore philosophy of the game. If you get to maps, you should be able to understand the mismatch between area level and player level.

^ ✓✓✓✓ !!!!

Sadly: Almost all changes since 2.0 are this way ôO
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
I like tiers

they like tiers too :P
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I like I_NO's comments therefore I now like tiers too.
It's that simple!
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
"
Rambopvp wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
...Players expect to play maps of their level (which can be way too hard for them), or make arguments about that they're level 95+ and can't find a level 80 map. Players with backgrounds in contemporary MMORPGs expect to play content equivalent to their level.

In order to resolve this confusion, maps now display a tier rather than a level.

Chris's statement is a whole lot of nonsense. I'd like to know how he and his team came to this ridiculous conclusion. I have been playing this game since closed beta and followed the forums before I received a beta key. Not once in my entire time of reading the forums or playing the game have I seen or heard anyone make the comment that they expect to play maps the same level as their character or that the map level assigned to the map was confusing.

However, yes, we do have a whole lot people with high level characters complaining that they cannot find maps of appropriate level for their characters, but this is a fact not a point of confusion or misunderstanding of character level vs map level. When mid 80 characters complain they are stuck running sub 74 maps because they cannot find higher level maps, this is a legitimate complaint about the game's BS RNG map drops, not a misunderstanding or expectation that they are 80+ and should be running 80+ maps. And anyone level 95+ complaining that they cannot find a level 80+ map, that is also a legitimate complaint about the game's BS RNG map drops, not confusion. The 95+ player has already beaten the game. The 80+ map isn't too hard or difficult. The 95+ player is just trying to level... and cannot find the maps to do this.

Burying the map level behind an unwanted map tier number, that forces us to mentally translate the tier number back to a map level, doesn't do anything to change the current meta... other than confuse it.
Last edited by Galtrovan on Oct 2, 2015, 8:23:44 AM
"
Galtrovan wrote:
"
Rambopvp wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

Chris's statement is a whole lot of nonsense. I'd like to know how he and his team came to this ridiculous conclusion. I have been playing this game since closed beta and followed the forums before I received a beta key. Not once in my entire time of reading the forums or playing the game have I seen or heard anyone make the comment that they expect to play maps the same level as their character or that the map level assigned to the map was confusing.

However, yes, we do have a whole lot people with high level characters complaining that they cannot find maps of appropriate level for their characters, but this is a fact not a point of confusion or misunderstanding of character level vs map level. When mid 80 characters complain they are stuck running sub 74 maps because they cannot find higher level maps, this is a legitimate complaint about the game's BS RNG map drops, not a misunderstanding or expectation that they are 80+ and should be running 80+ maps. And anyone level 95+ complaining that they cannot find a level 80+ map, that is also a legitimate complaint about the game's BS RNG map drops, not confusion. The 95+ player has already beaten the game. The 80+ map isn't too hard or difficult. The 95+ player is just trying to level... and cannot find the maps to do this.

Burying the map level behind an unwanted map tier number, that forces us to mentally translate the tier number back to a map level, doesn't do anything to change the current meta... other than confuse it.

I have a limited perception and empathy, therefore this entire quote is bullocks.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info