Fire Crash, The New Flame Blast

Not a budget build. Not a hardcore build.

Concept
Spoiler

The idea here is to take one big swing and then watch the world burn. The primary mechanisms at play are:

Ice Crash - excels at delivering single large hits, which is how ignite has to be optimized. Ice Crash is balanced around not being able to be supported with multistrike, which is why it delivers massive damage but at a slower pace than most other melee skills.

Herald of Ash - for massive ignites in packs or against bosses that can be lured in range of weak monsters.

Fire conversion - via the newly improved Cold to Fire Gem and Avatar of Fire.

Staff - for the crit and for tree synergy. It can be done non crit. The animation on a Marohi Erqi for a build similar to this is pretty epic.

Elemental Prolif - Supporting Herald of Ash. This is where your pack clearing comes from and it is arguably more effective than swapping Conc Effect for Inc Aoe. You have to play around the corpses correctly, but you can take down map bosses just by dragging them through prolif corpses that are burning for some ridiculous DPS number that I'm not going to bother to calculate.

A warning
Spoiler
Elemental Reflect will kill you. Yes, even a single rare with elemental reflect will kill you if you crit. You work around this by burning them to death with HoA Prolif

DPS screenshot
Spoiler
No charges
Spoiler

Charges + Onslaught
Spoiler

A very rough HoA Burn Calculation under ideal circumstances
Spoiler
Assuming you hit a mob with 1 Hp remaining for the maximum amount
49136 (maximum base damage-1) x 5.57 (crit multi) x 1.37 (HoA) x .8 (Prolif) x 4.98 (fire/ele + burn damage from tree x 2) x .2 (burning) = Something like 50k Dps. That seems low based on how fast things die from the prolif. Maybe that's because I ignored resistances. Whatever, I tried.

Gear
Spoiler

Alternative helm:

If I had a 6L Cloak of Flame or a 6L hege's, I would use Cloak of Flame. The build is pretty squishy and it's melee and it has to stand still for a while to attack. PoE isn't forgiving of any of these features.

Tree

Gems + Some thoughts
Spoiler

6L - Ice Crash + Conc Effect + Cold to Fire + Melee Physical + Fire Pen + WED - You can put Added Fire in for Fire Pen if you want to sit in town and jerk off to your DPS numbers
3L - HoA - Inc AOE - Prolif - Basically the build right here.
3L - Faster Attacks - Leap Slam - Fortify - Every melee uses this
4L - CWDT - Blood Rage - Ice Golem - Ele Weakness - I'm lazy

Changelog
Spoiler
28 Sep - swapped Inc AOE for Fire pen on the HoA Link. Apparently Fire Pen does not support HoA. Thank you reddit user u/battled
29 Sep - Added alternative helm Alpha's Howl, which is required to use Inc AOE on HoA with my current tree. Updated tree as I had significantly undervalued AOE on my original tree. Thank you reddit user u/BioSemantics

Video
Spoiler
Sorry they're so short. I can't seem to get FRAPS to record for more than 30 seconds.https://youtu.be/PycvWijyx44
https://youtu.be/3KmVzdjWCTU
Last edited by Whomp on Sep 29, 2015, 5:19:04 AM
The tree posted has -4 points left...
"
It's just a glitch with poebuilder - just remove a point and re-add it and it will show correctly.
"

It's just a copy paste of my skill tree into PoE Builder since I like PoE Builder a bit better than the normal viewer. My character is level 89 and I helped Oak in Normal and Kraitlyn in Merc, so should have 11 points left.
Only 133% increased maximum life, no life on gloves and helm.
What HP do you end up with ? 3500HP ?
Armour isn't better with +58%.
You add an Abyssus on top of that to be sure you will receive more damage.
So, the Endurance charges from your Daresso and Fortify are your only layer of defense, seems quite risky to me in the current meta.

Aren't you dying a lot ? I mean A - LOT ?

It seems like a lot of DPS, but if you can't survive, it's going to be boring very fast.
There is no leecj, no regen, don't you run out of HP pots sometime ?
"
iSkiv wrote:
Only 133% increased maximum life, no life on gloves and helm.
What HP do you end up with ? 3500HP ?
Armour isn't better with +58%.
You add an Abyssus on top of that to be sure you will receive more damage.
So, the Endurance charges from your Daresso and Fortify are your only layer of defense, seems quite risky to me in the current meta.

Aren't you dying a lot ? I mean A - LOT ?

It seems like a lot of DPS, but if you can't survive, it's going to be boring very fast.
There is no leecj, no regen, don't you run out of HP pots sometime ?

I die once every 5ish maps. I do occasionally have to go to town because I have no health pot charges. I play pretty carefully and I don't run super dangerous maps. You really only have to swing once and run away so being squishy isn't as terrible as it is for other melee. Abyssus is probably a bad idea, in reality. But it's fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info