I just had an epiphany (contains content from 3 years ago)!

I was looking up something and came across a very old thread from chris.

"

Map Drops
Maps will not always yield another Map to play. On average, players will not have a constant supply of Maps unless they trade for more or do end-game boss runs to try to find another when they run out. This is the same philosophy as any other end-game item (players are always pretty low on 200% damage weapons), and is necessary to help keep Maps rewarding and valuable.

We want it to be difficult to obtain the higher tiers of Maps. If players complete several Maps successfully and are lucky with Map drops, they can obtain Maps that are potentially too high level for them to complete. It’s reasonable for them to chose to trade these Maps to more advanced players who are able to handle that content.

Source, on June 26, 2012

Now i get it why Chris postet the "+2 maps are too dangerous" and their general decission of limiting map drops over all.
Source, on June 9, 2015

edit:
I'd advise newer players to read through the old post as it describes some decissions GGG makes these days pretty well (although i don't agree with all of them).
Last edited by Ruefl2x on Sep 18, 2015, 2:58:15 AM
The map system is horrible.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Yeah, and in context it makes sense to be wary of that.

Buuuut, in an HC setting one of the most important aspects of successful play is being aware of what is/is not an acceptable risk for your character. If you're running high maps that your character cannot handle, then the blame falls on your shoulders when that character rips.

In SC, it is a little different. However, if the map is too dangerous then the likelihood of the character being able to kill enough to sustain that map level is very remote - the problem will take care of itself.

What higher map drops DOES do is that it allows characters another avenue for revenue generation, or to test out their builds capabilities, or to squirrel away for when they are ready to run it.

The current system has removed these potential uses, except for revenue generation. It becomes economically more feasible to sell 78+ maps, because you will need to invest significant currency to generate a decent chance at a return and (over time) that investment will not generate sufficient returns without seriously beating the RNG curve on loot/currency or map drops. Why not just sell the map for a couple of chaos, instead of investing 10+ in the map without a 'decent' (YMMV) chance at a profit?

Ramble ramble ramble, whinge etc. Meh. I'm just trying to justify feeling salty about my map progression in this league, feel free to ignore.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Sep 18, 2015, 3:04:30 AM
"Na, na na na, na :P We have an endgame but you can't play it!"

- Makes Sense (*cough cough)
What do you mean that the league is not rewarding or fun? You put in 5 useless items in the device and you get 1 useless item... Oh wait!
/Talisman League(2015/2016)

Oh look, Synthesis League(2019) = Talisman League all over again.
They want the game to have challenging elements for any character... no matter what character you choose. So of course there's going to be some areas/maps that your character finds too difficult. That's their design, and their intention. If you don't like it, there's plenty of games out there where you eventually trivialize the entire game.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
They want the game to have challenging elements for any character... no matter what character you choose. So of course there's going to be some areas/maps that your character finds too difficult. That's their design, and their intention. If you don't like it, there's plenty of games out there where you eventually trivialize the entire game.

The problem here is that the content does not get TOO HARD for my character, but rather TOO EXPENSIVE (~rare)
Chris also said that it should never happen that you find an high end-upgrade by playing the game.
you have to trade. no joke.
"
Heroofexile wrote:
Chris also said that it should never happen that you find an high end-upgrade by playing the game.
you have to trade. no joke.

Source?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Somewhere buried in this forum, posted 2-3 years ago ;)

i think it was about why rares drop always with at least one troll roll and if its possible to find a 6x T1 rare and so on.
They seriously need to buff map drops. The only time I really felt it was ok was back in beyond. But even then it was probaly just good rng combined with more mobs.

Also, too hard??? Thats delusional.
Last edited by kussekurt on Sep 18, 2015, 11:10:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info