What is your favorite kind of local food? I vote Hodge Podge, Poutine and Donair's in THAT order :D

I live in Nova Scotia, CA and I am craving some Hodge Podge... I HATE lobster and cod ;)

In my area of Nova Scotia, the key ingredients are new potatoes, fresh green and yellow beans, and new/baby carrots. It is called hodge podge because you can put an assortment of veggies in it. I always add brocolli and cauliflour, sometimes zucchini, or any other fresh veggie that strikes your fancy. For added flavour, I cook the veggies in chicken or turkey stock, with added water if necessary. Barely cover the veggies with the stock/water, and start with the veggies that take the longest to cook first and adding the quick cookers like the beans last which essentially steam on top of the broth. The vegetables should be tender crisp and I would think the times in the receipe would overcook the veggies. Real cream and butter makes the meal decadent but skimmed evaporated milk can be used too if trying to cut back on fat & calories (and costs). There is no need to thicken with flour. The consistency is like a thin chowder as opposed to a thickened sauce or soup. Some people like to add corned beef or cooked ham from a boiled dinner to it to make it an even heartier meal. Whatever version you try, enjoy!!
POE is life. POE is ♥.
Last edited by KonaLuvsPOE on Sep 15, 2015, 4:43:29 PM
Nervah Scurtia eh? Nice place, cool rocks. Its like Canada's NZ.

I do dig lobster :p

Montreal makes a killer poutine

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Sep 15, 2015, 3:42:32 PM
HA! Nova Scotia does wayyyy better. King Of Donair with REAL donair sauce.. Montreal imitates but cannot be the same.. been there many times, have tried but the sauce ruins it.. tis bitter instead of sweet ;) Their smoked meat tho.... so good!!!

Donairs - in the past - are traditionally either Greek or Turkish in origin, also known as "doners", "gyros", "doner kebabs", "kebabs" and "donners".

The history of the donair goes back far past Halifax, to either Greece or Turkey. For matters of simplicity and convenience, our donair history starts in Halifax.

Wikipedia claims that the modern fast food doner was invented by Mahmut Aygun, a Turkish immigrant in Berlin, in 1971.

Velos Pizza, then located in Bedford, invented the "Halifax" donair in the 1971-1973 area. This "Halifax" donair was characterized by having a very sweet sauce, made from condensed milk, sugar, garlic, and vinegar.
POE is life. POE is ♥.
hehe I used to order souvlaki pitas from a Velos pizza!! Coincidence?

Ya poutiness are def hit or miss, for every good one there's 10 soggy, undercooked, nasty gravy ones.

For smoked meat obv Schwartz is where you want to go if you have the patience for hour long lineups for a sandwich
There is a new shop in Halifax that is trying to combine our beloved Donair WITH donuts to make a "donair-nut". Yup.

The doughnut is a yeast doughnut, so a bit more like bread than a traditional one. It’s got a Tony’s Donair sauce glaze, and then is topped with Tony’s Donair meat, tomato and green onion, and drizzle of donair sauce to top it all off.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2051182/the-doughnairnut-a-fusion-of-flavours-sure-to-be-a-favourite/
POE is life. POE is ♥.
Here in southern Louisiana we're known for our food but something that hasn't had much of the limelight that's absolutely to die for is Boudin. It's extremely hard to find anywhere but here. :)

From the wiki:
"
A white sausage made of pork without the blood. Pork liver and heart meat are typically included. In Cajun versions, the sausage is made from a pork rice dressing (much like dirty rice), which is stuffed into pork casings. Rice is always used in Cajun cuisine, whereas the French/Belgian version typically uses milk, and is therefore generally more delicate than the Cajun variety. In French/Belgian cuisine, the sausage is sauteed or grilled. The Louisiana version is normally simmered or braised, although coating with oil and slow grilling for tailgating is becoming a popular option in Lafayette, New Orleans, Houston, Beaumont, and Baton Rouge.

C'est si bon!
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Poutine is epic

We also apparently grow lots of really good fruit out here on the west coast of Canada eh

Last I was out there the food was amazing. Artisinal EVERYTHING. Victoria had good eatin too
Being from New Zealand, my favourite local food is Roast Kiwi.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Being from New Zealand, my favourite local food is Roast Kiwi.

Cannibal! =@[.]@=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Where I live it's all about the seafood; Raw Fish (usually Snapper), Kina (type of Sea Urchin), Tuatua (clam kind of thing).
We tested it extensively

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info