Act 4: evasion sucks

I've just finished a playthrough on an evasion based character, twinked. And I must say: something needs to be done about several encounters OR the evasion mechanics. The game is fine until the end of Act 4. But then your main defense mechanic becomes simply useless.

The character was reasonably twinked: lv 68, 4.5k evasion, 3k hp, 44% chance to evade, 40% chance to dodge, 30% chance to dodge spells (Phase Acrobatics), max elemental resists, no chaos resist. You cannot really expect much more by the time you get to A4M.

The game was all good until the 2nd half of Act 4. Evasion is awesome against the Path of Exile that we used to know and love before 2.0. Dodging hits is really fun. My twink was never in any danger because it by far outgeared the content.

But then I ran into the fights that bypass evasion:

1. Torchoak Grove. It bombards the ground with a huge amount of splash damage. Good luck dodging that. I ran around it avoiding the magma balls for a while, but there was almost no time to dps it! You get bombarded off screen. The range and speed of its attacks is ridiculous. And you can't dodge them all. Eventually I ran out of flasks, said FUCK THAT and ran past it. Yes, you can maybe hit it a few times, port to town to refresh the flasks, come back to hit it a few more times, etc. But this is just stupid.

2. Maligaro. He pops chaos degeneration ground under your feet and throws chaos bombs all over the floor. Evasion is useless. Can't dodge, just run around, but there are too many bombs eventually. This is where I actually died. Switching gear to buff chaos resist just for 1 boss sounds unreasonable. Flasks have only so many charges, there are no adds to recharge on. And the char was already a twink. What's a normal char supposed to do - suicide zerg it and die 50 times? I don't even want to think about trying this on a HC evasion based char. Meanwhile, when I did this on a CI char, I laughed in Maligaro's face and rolfstomped him. Such disparity between otherwise viable builds is not right.

3. Malachai. Again, he attacks the ground, not you! Evasion does NOTHING. Your main defense stat is completely useless. You run around like a chicken, popping flasks when you can't avoid the ground damage and hoping to recharge on the adds when Malachai is busy moving or doing his tentacle thing. Oh wait, that's when you are supposed to dps him! Good luck with that! This 1 encounter takes forever because, again, your evasion is meaningless and the char is greatly underpowered without its main defense.

Please do something about the ground damage vs evasion. We need a way to evade ground damage in these encounters. Or tone it down. You can't diminish one of the 3 primary defense mechanics like this. It works fine everywhere else in the game. Act 4 is no fun at all for evasion builds.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:
The character was reasonably twinked: lv 68, 4.5k evasion, 3k hp, 44% chance to evade, 40% chance to dodge, 30% chance to dodge spells (Phase Acrobatics), max elemental resists, no chaos resist. You cannot really expect much more by the time you get to A4M.

3K life is nowhere close to enough to handle Merciless Malachai, regardless of whether you use evasion or any other combination of damage mitigation. Level-68 is also quite low for Act 4, I tackled it solo with a level-72 Facebreaker build and died repeatedly to both Malachai and Piety. For comparison, check out the level-85 Marauder in my profile. He can facetank Merciless Malachai without getting one-shot, but he has 4.5K life, 350 life regen/sec, and 50 LGOH at 5 APS, not to mention Fortify, Arctic Armour, etc.
3k life is very low for The Awakening. I think evasion is fine for everything except physical spell damage.

Phase acrobatics needs to be linked to your evasion chance, not a flat percent. Armor and ES characters mitigate physical spell damage with their respective defense, which can be enhanced by flasks or passive nodes or more to enhance the mitigation. Nothing enhances phase acrobatics.

I play hardcore bow rangers and am forced to avoid any bosses with physical damage spells; they are an enormous risk.
Last edited by Glowstix on Sep 15, 2015, 1:50:27 PM
EVasion is only usefull, when going for iron skin passive, which is yes retarded. EVen if you manage to get 10 K evasion with flask poped up ( 30 K or more ), you gonna encounter 1 mob in some high lvl map, that will pass trough evasion and hit you so hard you gonna be insta gone.
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Last edited by Farystar on Sep 15, 2015, 2:07:20 PM
"
RogueMage wrote:

For comparison, check out the level-85 Marauder in my profile. He can facetank Merciless Malachai without getting one-shot, but he has 4.5K life, 350 life regen/sec, and 50 LGOH at 5 APS, not to mention Fortify, Arctic Armour, etc.

Firstly, we can't see your characters unless you set your profile to public.
Secondly, why are you mentioning an armor based character when this thread is about evasion?
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:

3K life is nowhere close to enough to handle Merciless Malachai, regardless of whether you use evasion or any other combination of damage mitigation. Level-68 is also quite low for Act 4, I tackled it solo with a level-72 Facebreaker build and died repeatedly to both Malachai and Piety. For comparison, check out the level-85 Marauder in my profile. He can facetank Merciless Malachai without getting one-shot, but he has 4.5K life, 350 life regen/sec, and 50 LGOH at 5 APS, not to mention Fortify, Arctic Armour, etc.

3k life is perfectly fine in combination with other defenses, for almost all of PoE content. The cases I highlighted are the exceptions because they attack the ground, not you, making evasion useless. Then of course you are naked other than your raw life pool. This is the problem! Evasion should not be negated like this.

And pls don't say that you are supposed to wait until you are in mid-80s and well geared before finishing the main story on Merciless. I've killed A4M Malachai without dying at lv 67 with a 2.5k life SRS summoner that was not even twinked other than max resist gear. When you delegate dps to minions and spend 95% of your time just running and dodging ground damage, it's not that bad. And I've done it on a lv 68 CI+GR+VP incinerator with 5k ES - that one had enough leech to recover with enough time to do some dps.

It's just evasion that's powerless here.
"
Farystar wrote:
EVasion is only usefull, when going for iron skin passive, which is yes retarded. EVen if you manage to get 10 K evasion with flask poped up ( 30 K or more ), you gonna encounter 1 mob in some high lvl map, that will pass trough evasion and hit you so hard you gonna be insta gone.

Simple !
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Last edited by Farystar on Sep 15, 2015, 2:07:54 PM
Well, evasion is hard to balance in any game. Evasion is a CHANCE and CHANCE will always be a bad choice in games that 1-shots are frequent.

I think evasion trees should come with some mitigation nodes.

Another solution, but maybe a bit unbalanced would be to implement nodes that allows you to survive after a fatal blow, with a cooldown ofc, the nodes would reduce the cooldown then.

One of the biggest offenders I found was one of the bosses of the museum map, the one that shoots green shards in a cone. He can take 1/2 of my health if he lands even ONE of his shards on me, and I had 3.3K HP.
Last edited by Gordyne on Sep 15, 2015, 3:16:14 PM
"
AxxiusEQ wrote:
3k life is perfectly fine in combination with other defenses, for almost all of PoE content. The cases I highlighted are the exceptions because they attack the ground, not you, making evasion useless. Then of course you are naked other than your raw life pool. This is the problem! Evasion should not be negated like this.

So how exactly is evasion worse than armour here? Last time I checked, armour does not help at all against elemental damage, or chaos like the Maligaro fight. Why is it specifically bad for evasion? Am I missing something here?

A4M is quite a bit harder than the rest of the game, and I really like that fact.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Sep 15, 2015, 3:28:20 PM
"
Char1983 wrote:

So how exactly is evasion worse than armour here? Last time I checked, armour does not help at all against elemental damage, or chaos like the Maligaro fight. Why is it specifically bad for evasion? Am I missing something here?

A4M is quite a bit harder than the rest of the game, and I really like that fact.

Let's say you are in a high level area fighting in a small environment so you can't dodge everything, you get shocked and you get unlucky even having 50% chance to evade + 40% dodge. Shocked + evasion failed + 1 crit from a "powerful crits" monster = Dead.

And yes, even if you invest a good deal in life stat.

Stepped in a bear trap only once? High chance of death.

There problem with evasion vs HIGH spike damage is that, if your luck run out even ONCE you're pretty much dead.

Last edited by Gordyne on Sep 15, 2015, 3:44:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info