Thoughts and Ideas

I'm sure you (GGG) have thought about at least some of this, but I feel these are things that could benefit the game and so I'm bringing them up. As the recent State of Exile pointed out, Racing in PoE could certainly be improved upon both in advertisement and implementation. Personally, I race to maybe the third reward (not very many races) and just stop entirely, because I don't feel it's worth it to spend 4 hours getting to Piety, and because the rewards are so separated points-wise.

Before I get into it, I'd like to formally request a Dev Manifesto post about racing, it's future (long and short term), and where it is now compared to where you would like it to be.

So, here are a few things I think would improve PoE's racing, which IS a very fun part of the game.

On demand racing:
Spoiler
This could also be known as asymmetrical or asynchronous racing: Races would be available in larger windows, thus easing the strain on prospective racers who just don't have the time and letting players with restrictive schedules use their free time on the races they are forced to miss in the current system.
To implement this, I could see either:
Spoiler
-Each day being dedicated to one race type (and you get a limited amount of characters). Basically, you'd be able to enter into that race at any point in the day, a limited amount of times, and get rewarded based on how far you get with (each/the top) character.

-You get a limited amount of attempts in each race type but can do any race in the season for the entire season's duration.

Races following either Asymmetrical format would still be time-limited per character, so you could only spend an hour in a 1 hour Endless Ledge, for example.
Additionally, races such as boss kills could still be run on a schedule to promote that you have to rush feeling, though purely measuring the fastest attempt would also work with an Asymmetrical format.

Another idea is a Season-wide point pool:
Spoiler
You can spend points on the rewards you want, but it's unlikely that you can get enough points to buy all of the rewards. This way a less experienced player would be able to invest their points in a single high point reward, rather than never being able to reach that amount of points. Top tier racers would be able to buy the top reward and have points to spare on the other rewards.

These ideas would obviously require a new UI for racing.

Many more race types:
Spoiler
Some examples:
Mercurial: Players begin with +50% move speed.
Umbral: Your Light Radius decreases the longer you're in an area.
Foundation: No league mods, just the Vanilla game.
Soulbound: You cannot drop/sell/destroy items you pick up. (Very short, probably burst)
Hellscape: Flame golems drop from the sky, their burning ground doesn't disappear unless they die. (Map is an endless Kaom area?)
Harbinger: An additional Invasion boss spawns each minute you spend in an area.
Otherworld: Beyond is active.
Shattered: Items without Quality are unusable but still drop. (You would probably start with one Whetstone and one Scrap)
Viral: All attacks Poison (including the player's) and spread to nearby enemies.
Chiral: Items drop mirrored and ID'd.
Concussive: All Crits blind. (Including the player's)
Collateral: Items on the ground are destroyed by AoE attacks.
Raided: Bandits are in every area and steal items they pass over before attempting to flee. They drop the stolen items when killed.
Apocalypse: Every enemy that dies turns into a Zombie with the same mods.
Spellscarred: Players die at 0 Mana. (Actually sounds like a cool Keystone, where Life and Mana Leech are additive. Ie: They both apply to both Life and Mana, but you die when you are out of Mana.)
Swashbuckling: Ten Fairgraves(es) in every area.

Something else I would like to see is a description of the race mods on the race page, rather than another page that's linked to. Additionally, mousing over a map mod when the tab overlay is up showing a more detailed explanation of the mod would be much appreciated.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
Last edited by Felix35071 on Sep 15, 2015, 2:36:25 AM
"
Felix35071 wrote:
Before I get into it, I'd like to formally request a Dev Manifesto post about racing, it's future (long and short term), and where it is now compared to where you would like it to be.

+1

Nice vocabulary!

"
Felix35071 wrote:

I think the opposite would be more interesting. It's a race, so you're already incentivized to go quickly. Umbral would also punish newbies a lot more than experts. Perhaps more interesting and challenging, Penumbral: Your Light Radius increases the longer you're in an area. (Starts with 0 light radius).
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
unsane wrote:
Spoiler
"
Felix35071 wrote:

+1

Nice vocabulary!

"
Felix35071 wrote:

I think the opposite would be more interesting. It's a race, so you're already incentivized to go quickly. Umbral would also punish newbies a lot more than experts. Perhaps more interesting and challenging, Penumbral: Your Light Radius increases the longer you're in an area. (Starts with 0 light radius).

Heh, thanks.
As for Penumbral, why not both? :D
And you gotta say, Swashbuckling would be hilarious.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
Last edited by Felix35071 on Sep 15, 2015, 2:38:08 AM
"
unsane wrote:
"
Felix35071 wrote:

+1

Hopefully soon (near the end of this season?). Chris' post from Reddit about racing
"
ChronoExile wrote:
"
unsane wrote:
"
Felix35071 wrote:

+1

Hopefully soon (near the end of this season?). Chris' post from Reddit about racing

To be honest his post just seemed like a forced response because the amount of discussion there was on.

I sure hope I am wrong.
"
Karvarousku wrote:

To be honest his post just seemed like a forced response because the amount of discussion there was on.

I sure hope I am wrong.

You have the more realistic view on the situation. Given the current history with attention given to racing, there is a pretty even chance to getting a response, and not.

I am just going to choose to be optimistic about the situation.

I wonder what kind of discussion the opposite question (why do you choose to race) would have on Reddit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info